“The last time I gave this kind of review the rates went up!”

Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Oh well. I gotta call it like I see it. This is our new favorite spot in SB. First and foremost is the fact that they are not yet gouging tourists for 3 bills a night. When that happens remove a star because the one of the best features is value for location. This is indeed a small and uber hip new Hotel one black from the beach and directly on State Street. Rooms are in fact European small but we actually liked it. I would not recommend a twin but a King or Queen with a a patio is plenty roomy for a weekend. Location, location location. Price, price, price. Staff was great. Trains were not a problem at all. In fact its a plus. Leave your car behind and take Amtrack and roll one block and your home at the Indigo. LOVED THIS PLACE. Won't love it if prices start to exceed 250 a night. If that happens the doubletree and hyatt on the beach would be glad to take your money and give u more space. So...until this place is found, its our favorite. Its not the best in town. But for the price, its the best. Even if they raised the prices this would still in my view be my first choice so long as I got a king room with a patio. Twin room is like a cruise ship cabin. Tiny beds. But you are only sleeping there.

Room Tip: Restaurant is coming soon. So no room service yet. You dont need it. Your right on State Street. No...
1  Thank brianmdr9
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

We are so glad you liked the small footprint of the rooms, and the uber hip atmosphere. We promise to keep the rates reasonable for you!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am amazed that very few people are pointing out the fact that the rooms are tiny. And by tiny I mean, impossible to get around the room without bumping into furniture. It is roughly the size of my closet at home (and my closet is not that big). The shower is right next to the toilet. I am not kidding. You are showering while standing next to the toilet, and the space is so small that the shower curtain is clinging to your body as you shower. I decided to be a good sport and enjoy our weekend despite the uncomfortable accomodations, however when we got back at night we realized that the walls are paper thin. We could hear every single conversation happening next door and in the hallway. Every door opening and closing, each toilet flush.... you get the idea. Early in the morning we were woken up by train passing by -- the hotel is right next to a train station. That was pretty much the last straw for me. I went online and booked us into a different hotel. The rest of our weekend was amazing. End of story

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry that you did not like the hotel, and that you had a poor experience with us. If you would like to discuss this, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel. Kay Morter 805-966-6586.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Fantastic artsy hotel less than 2 blocks from beach & 5 minute walk to restaurants & shops on State Street so what more could you ask for. Hotel looks brand new & staff is extremely courteous, attentive, and very professional.

Our room had a cozy garden patio too (first floor only) and we took full advantage of it in the mornings. Rooms are small like some rooms in Europe, but come on you're in Santa Barbara & the price was great so quit whining. Hotel is near the Amtrak train station, but we never heard the train at night and it did not bother us at all. Besides we only used our room for sleeping or for not sleeping. Bottom line is we had problem free stay and would gladly stay there again!!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the first floor rooms, but make sure to tell them you want a King size bed with a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for the great review. We hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Reviews on TA brought us to this hotel and we were not disapointed. Situated at the bottom end of State St it commands a great position for either the sea-front or the bars and restaurants 'up-state'

Rooms were clean and cosy with lots of comtemporary art adorning the walls. One slight down side is tha the rooms are lablled as accessible friendly and yes they doo have widened doorways for wheelchair access, but the layout of the room means that access is not posible for a wheelchair user who requires acces to the patio area. This could easily be rearranged to accommodate.

Overall a great place to stay and good value for money...thouh be wary of price increase once restaurant is finished this year

Room Tip: disabled users ensure to ask for fully accessible room
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I returned to Hotel Indigo for a wedding in Santa Barbara. Frank and the other girls at the front desk were so helpful. I am nine months pregnant and checked in before my husband got to town. They didn't hesitate helping me with my bags and making sure I had everything I needed. They are currently doing construction on the new restaurant and I thought it was going to be very noisy but it wasn't bad at all. I couldn't hear anything! I'm looking forward to returning when the restaurant is up and running! Thank you Frank and Hotel Indigo for another relaxing stay!

1  Thank Courtney R

Thank you for visiting us a second time, and for recognizing Frank and the whole staff. We can't wait for Anchor Wood Fire Kitchen and Bar to open either. It should be open soon, so come back and see us with the new baby!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location. It's close to the Main Street and also a few minutes walk to beach. Helpful staff and nothing was a problem for them. Complimentary wine in the evening was fab. Our room was small which was ok Bathroom was even smaller and no shower tray so it meant wet towels all over the bathroom floor. Would stay again though

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Went memorial day weekend with my husband. The hotel is very clean and new which is extremely important to me. The front desk staff are very nice and extremely helpful the location is perfect you can walk to the urban wine trail, heart of state street as well as the wharf. The hotel also has a few nice common areas like the rooftop and library which is a must because the rooms are very small. The workout room is also very small but has what you need for a decent cardio workout. They report they will be getting a restaurant soon. The small rooms are the only downside to the hotel. This is probably the smallest room I've ever stayed in even smaller than rooms in Europe. Not alot of space for luggage and as the reviews mentioned the shower is literally right on the toilet. Despite the small room I probably would stay here again because of all of the other positive factors I mentioned and in Santa Barbra you really shouldn't spend too much time in your room. Just too much to experience and explore.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple