“Great little hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Pacifica, California
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We loved our stay at the Hotel Indigo. Just a very short walk from the train station the Hotel exceeded our expecations. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the location was perfect and although the rooms are small, we enjoyed our little courtyard with comfy seats and lots of sun.

We especially liked the upstairs outside lounge area where we invited friends by for a bottle of wine. Overall a great place to stay when visiting Santa Barbara. We picked this hotel based on "Trip Advisor" reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for the non-train station side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Bolzano, Italy
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I'm really sorry to say that because the staff of the hotel was really nice but this place was really disappointing! The room fee wasn't cheap at all but not even in France I ever saw such a tiny room! And neither me nor my boyfriend are tall! You have no privacy (the bathroom hasn't a real door) and moreover there is passing by the train (don't know how often but it's too often and we really couldn't sleep because of the noise). Sorry guys, we won't come another time - for sure not.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daisy D
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We've been to Santa Barbara in 2009 and stayed at another hotel, Indigo didn't exist at the time. We chose Indigo because of it's location and price. Indigo is situated in between the city centre of santa barbara (higher up on State street) and the beach.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, we received a map and a few tips of what to do and where to eat. The room felt fresh, clean and modern. We stayed for just one night but enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Originally, my husband and I had planned to stay at a bed and breakfast but opted at the last minute to go with Indigo to save some money. I'm glad we did because our stay was great! Overall, it's a clean and modern hotel with warm accents, a fantastic location (blocks from the beach and a 15-minute walk to all the popular restaurants and bars on State Street), polite and attentive staff, and decent room rates.

Yes, the rooms are small but my husband and I don't need much space. The room was just big enough for a queen bed, two tiny bedside tables, a small desk (with a wastebasket and a recycling bin... nice!), and a small open closet. And a relatively large (for the space) flat screen HDTV with DirecTV. Admittedly, it was hard to move around the room when my husband was using the iron and ironing board, but otherwise the space was fine. The bathroom was actually a decent size, but that's probably because we were given an accessible room (although neither of us are handicapped). The complimentary Aveda toiletries were a nice touch. The bonus was that our room had a small private patio with outdoor seating... perfect for a morning cup of coffee or a late night glass of wine.

Other thoughts:
- Parking is easy. The lot is right next to the hotel and is $14 per day. The front desk will give you a permit to place on your dash after check-in. There's supposedly a valet service but we never saw it during our stay.
- There's no hotel restaurant (yet) or in-room dining, but the person at the front desk was happy to give us some late-night delivery options (we chose Rusty's Pizza... thin crust pizza with chorizo = yum). There's also a "Grab and Go" area by the front desk that offers beverages and snacks for purchase (e.g., Pellegrino, crudite, etc.).
- The fitness room is literally just that... a small room with one treadmill, one elliptical, and a stand of free weights (ranging from only 3 to 15 lbs.). The space is so tight that I had to duck under the treadmill sidebar to get on it. But both the treadmill and the elliptical were relatively new, high-quality Life Fitness machines, and therefore got the job done for me.
- Yes, you'll hear the train from time to time. I found it charming, not annoying (but I tend to have a positive attitude about these things). It never woke me from sleep.

Unless having a huge room is a priority, I'd highly recommend Hotel Indigo. It'll be our go-to hotel in Santa Barbara from now on!

Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I used to live in Santa Barbara and I try to visit California as much as I can. I was only there for 3 days a few weeks ago and wanted something near State Street and the Beach and Restaurants. I have stayed at other hotels on State Street before but decided on this one as it was almost 200 dollars cheaper then other ones on State Street. being a female, an extra 200 dollars can come in handy when you are with your sister shopping on state street! the rooms were small but we managed. The bathroom was hilarious and especially the shower, but it makes for good jokes and stories later on in life :) I had no problem with any of the staff members nor did I hear any noise from other people staying in the hotel. there is a train right by the hotel but only one or two per day. I didnt hear them much at all because we were outside exploring Santa Barbara.

The one thing I did LOVE was that I had told them I would be arriving around 1pm, and since check in is at 3, they had put in a note that I would be arriving early so a room would be ready for me. When they gave me and my sister a room key, the room was completely trashed and not ready yet. So I went back downstairs and explained and they felt SO terrible, they gave me a discount at the end of our stay

Not sure who the store manager or whatnot is at this place, I met him the last day. very tall, thin, brunette guy who says he has a home in New York. GREAT GUY, wish I had met him before we left as he had great stories and great ideas on where to go or what to see.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank babyxkelz1
Danville, California
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Indigo. Feb. 2012. The room was very small. I had to get in and out of bed at the foot of the bed. King bed located against side wall under a window. When you do get out of bed you have to watch out for the television that is mounted on the wall at eye level. The bathroom was very small. The toilet is extremely close to the shower, too too close. I would not recommend this hotel. Obviously we will not stay there again.

Room Tip: See the exact room before you book it. A picture is worth a thousand words. I would sleep in my ca...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa R
La Paz, Bolivia
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Hotel Indigo is a smart European style hotel with a stylish contemporary ambiance. Art exhibits lend a touch of class to a hotel that offered us attentive service and helpful advice. We appreciated the Indigo’s amenities, including gourmet coffee service and niche patios to enjoy Santa Barbara’s beautiful June weather. We understand that the hotel is recently opened and the rooms reflect creative attention to both style and efficiency. Our ground flour room gave way to a nice private patio with comfortable chairs and space. The location is spectacular, one block from the pier and turning up State Street, there are tons of lively bars and restaurants. We would definitely stay in the Indigo again.

Room Tip: Ground Floor rooms offer private patios.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple