“Good choice for a stay of more than a couple of...”
other travelers have booked this property
Private Porch Livingroom
Front Yard
BBQ on Porch
Porch
Off-Stree Parking area
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
DaisyKUA
Tucson
“Good choice for a stay of more than a couple of days”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 for a stay in August 2012
people found this review helpful

My wife and I just returned from staying in the Baby Dux for ten days. If you plan a relatively long stay and can deal with a relatively small space, this is a good choice. it is very well located just one block from State Street (main street) and it is a five block walk to Stearns Pier (the waterfront). The #20 bus stop is a block away and this bus will get you to the transit center in less than ten minutes where you can transfer to a bus to get you just about anywhere in the area. There is seldom a long wait at the transit center.
The studio is well equipped for simple cooking and has a washer and dryer. This allows clients to travel with a small suitcase containing two or three changes of clothing.
Santa Barbara has a plethora of restaurants to suit every taste and there are plenty of low cost choices. Some that we found particularly good were Breakwater Cafe, Taffy's, Silvergreens and Super Cucas. Use Yahoo to find location and menu. If you choose to prepare simple meals in the studio, access to food stores is no problem. About a block and a half away is a 99 cent supermarket! There is a large variety of products and with few exceptions, each costs 99 cents. A little over a mile away is a Trader Joe Store. It can be reached by foot in about 20 minutes or the #20 bus will take you there and back. Right across from the downtown transit center is a huge Ralph's Supermarket.
This is a very good lodging choice for the reasons already stated. However, we did encounter a few of negatives. The walls are painted a very dark brown or green, we couldn't decice which. This made the small space seem very dim even with the lights on. Although the place seemed clean, the dim environment gave the impression that it was not. Lighter painted walls would make a huge difference. The only place to sleep is on a sofabed and it doesn't open like most that I have seen. It can be somewhat of a challenge to set it up and make it each night and do the opposite each morning. A couple of the dishes had some food on them when we got them out. It would be a good idea for the cleaning crew to check out the pots, dishes, silverware, etc. when the clean the place after guests have left.
Santa Barbara has a lot to offer when it comes to sightseeing. I especially recommend several that provide guided tours. They include the Old Mission, the Botanical Gardens, the Courthouse, and Casa del Herrero.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The Location
Liked least: The decor
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
wendelah1
Los Angeles, California
“It fit us to a tee.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

My spouse and I had a wonderful, relaxing stay in the Baby Dux. The property is as described, about the size of a small hotel room, with the addition of a functional kitchenette and a roomy front porch with seating for four. I drank my tea in the early morning sitting on the porch while my husband slept undisturbed in the apartment. Perhaps we had unusually warm weather for Santa Barbara, but the comforter that was provided was a little too warm for us. I ended up shopping for a cotton nightie after the first night. The sofa bed was wonderful, certainly the most comfortable I've ever slept on. I agree with a previous reviewer that it would be difficult to cook anything complicated on the two burner hot plate, but in addition to it and the coffee maker, there is a microwave, a toaster, a toaster oven, a small Weber grill on the porch, and I also saw a 5 quart slow cooker underneath the sink. There is no tub, only a shower but there is a compact washer/dryer in the bathroom, which I can see getting a work-out if you're there for the beach. Since we'd driven up from LA, we also appreciated the provided off-street parking. The beach is within walking distance and the State Street is only a block away. We've been coming to Santa Barbara to vacation for over thirty years and have stayed at motels and hotels and even a five star bed and breakfast. This place suited us perfectly. Highly recommended.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The sofa bed and the location.
Liked least: The heavy comforter.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
ca

Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
AZ
Reviewed February 1, 2012 for a stay in January 2012

Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing