“Charming!”
Review of Petros

Petros
Reserve with OpenTable
Petros is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 532 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Charming!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wife and I visited Santa Barbara in late February 2014 and ate at Petros our first night. We loved Petros!. We had dinner at 8pm on a Sunday night so the restaurant was fairly empty. We sat in the "outdoor" area around the fountain which was just a very nice setting. Our waiter was fabulous. He was energetic and provided opinions on the dishes we should get. He steered my wife towards the lamb chops and I got the sea bass special. Both were awesome . Our appetizer was Shrimp Saganaki which was awesome!
Overall we had a terrific evening and a fabulous meal. If we come back to Santa Barbara we would definitely eat at Petros again.

• Visited February 2014

Irvine, California
“Nice ambience, however food is average”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We came here over Valentine's Day weekend (this used to be an Argentinan restaurant several years back). My husband really enjoyed the lemon based chicken soup and tzatziki sauce with pita bread. The spanakopita was amazing, however when we asked for another order, they were already out. I had kheftetes (meatballs) and they were good, but not spectacular. Petros has a nice ambience, however the food is average.

• Visited February 2014
Albany, New York
“Not Good Enough”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our biggest concern about this restaurant was that it was inconsistent. My husband had the Chilean Sea Bass special and it was wonderful. I had the chicken souvlaki and it was poor. Shrimp appetizer great but the fava bean dip (FYI: no hummous, babganoush, or pita bread at a Greek restaurant is a little curious) was terrible. Santa Barbara has so many remarkable restaurants that I would hardly waste my time coming here to "guess" which dishes are good. Service and ambiance were both fine...nothing to write home about.

• Visited August 2013
Henley on Thames
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Fantastic Greek food, and a great wine list. The service was friendly and efficient. We both had a prawn dish in a very well flavoured tomato sauce and delicious salads packed with melon and feta.

Visited August 2013
Radiant, VA
“No Greeks in the kitchen”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I took my Greek family to this establishment over the weekend for dinner. The food and the poor service didn't merit the prices charged. It took forever to get service. We had to ask several times for the heater to be re-lit to warm us, while we sat in the open-air porch. It was a Saturday night, but the place wasn't that busy. There may have been about 15 tables occupied in the whole restaurant. (That was my first clue that all was not well with Petros...)

My father and husband ordered avgolemono soup (egg-lemon-chicken soup) and it tasted like they had squeezed the juice of 3 whole lemons in it! They didn't finish it. (And believe me, we Greeks love the zing of lemon on just about everything; We never met a lemon we didn't like! It's a staple of Greek cuisine, like butter and wine are for French food, and tomatoes and garlic are for Italian food)

We asked about getting a mix of feta, olives, spanakopita, etc., for the mezze (appetizer) course. A mezze platter was suggested by the waitress for $30 and we readily ordered it. After a long wait, a young boy brought us out a plate with some shredded lamb on a bed of mashed potatoes, which could serve one person. I told him we ordered the appetizer sampler for $30. He said brusquely, "Well, that's what you get!" We tried to eat it, but it wasn't very good (the meat shreds were dried out--like they had been sitting out for quite awhile on a steam table), so we stopped.

When another waitress came I inquired again, and told her about the conversation with the first waitress who made the suggestion. She then went to check what happened. Another waiter came over and said that the boy was young and new and "didn't know," and we should overlook his attitude. I said OK--my father owned 6 restaurants, and we are not heartless to the plight of new employees trying to learn the ropes. The first waitress came and said the kitchen didn't understand the order and had fixed a LUNCH item (lamb stew) accidentally! (HUH?!) We asked if there were any Greeks in the kitchen, and she said, "No." (I see..The plot thickens....)

Then they immediately brought out our main courses--three lamb souvlaki and one chicken souvlaki. (We never got appetizers, nor were we asked if we wanted the right thing delivered to the table. We would have liked some feta and olives, at least). They were substandard, the meat was tough and served with shredded lettuce (or napa cabbage?), which was overdressed, soggy and swimming in olive oil and lemon--again too tart to eat. My parents ordered French fries with the meals and they were brought out about the time we were done eating. The French fries were very good, golden and crispy.

To their credit, the restaurant did take the appetizer platter off the bill.

If you are Greek looking for authentic Greek flavor, I wouldn't recommend this place. You really need someone in the kitchen that knows what the food is SUPPOSED to taste like, before they venture into preparing it for a high end establishment.

If you do decide to go, just know that Greek food isn't normally dowsed with that much lemon and olive oil., and the meat is supposed to be tender. You might try skipping that soup, and asking for all dressings to be served on the side, so you can control the flavor. You should definitely taste lemon and olive oil, but not leave the restaurant with your mouth all puckered up and your stomach burning from all the acid.

• Visited July 2013