“Horseback riding by the sea”
Review of El Capitan Canyon

El Capitan Canyon
Santa Ynez
“Horseback riding by the sea”
Reviewed July 17, 2006

In November I had the urge to go horse back riding and made a reservation for a 2 hr ride at El Capitan Ranch near Santa Barbara. I wanted a late afternoon ride so I could watch the sunset over the Pacific while in the saddle. El Capitan Ranch is about 20 minutes north of downtown Santa Barbara right off the 101 hwy overlooking the ocean. The stables are immaculate and the horses are well looked
after, not what I expected to see in a dude ranch string. I arrived before 3pm and was met by the wrangler, signed a release and watched as my trusted mount, Blaze, was saddled. Since it was a mid week day in the fall I was the only dude-ette on the ride. We rode from the barn and within 5 minutes were well beyond the sound of the 101 and had a view of the shoreline in both directions that went for miles and miles. We went back into a canyon and along a creek, I can not imagine any better trailing in this area, the ocean, the hills, the canyon all at one place. Blaze was well mannered and the perfect gentleman. Ditto for the wrangler. The 2 hr ride ended too quick but I did manage to see the sunset from the back of my horse Blaze.

3 Thank kfp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Goleta
Reviewed July 17, 2006

Hi, I had family visiting Santa Barbara from out of town recently for their summer vacation. They stayed at El Capitan Canyon Resort, if Ralph Lauren & Eddie Bauer got together and made a campground that would be it. Anyway, my brother's family wanted to go horseback riding. We'd been to Circle Bar B/ Rancho Oso(no Ocean)before and they are OK, but we'd never tried El Capitan Ranch before. Since it was right next door to El Capitan Canyon & closer to town than the other places we gave it a try. It was surpising how polished the place was. It was also refreshing to see the horses looking so healthy and well groomed. We could see the Ocean most of the ride and the horses were easy to ride, even for the kids. I wish I knew how to post a photo, the ocean and the ranch were spectacular to see, it was beautiful and relaxing for everyone. I'm so glad something like this is so near my home town.

3 Thank lifetravler
#1 of 12 in Goleta
AutoCamp Santa Barbara
AutoCamp Santa Barbara
#6 of 17 in Santa Barbara

Been to El Capitan Canyon? Share your experiences!