“One Terrific Breakfast”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had breakfast at the Scarlett Begonia earlier this week after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and really enjoyed it. We sat outside and thoroughly enjoyed a cool but beautiful morning. The restaurant is in a tucked away and charming setting in Santa Barbara. The menu was interesting and the food even better. The staff was equally authentic and enthusiastic about the food and added to the experience. This is an outstanding spot for breakfast. We only wished we lived closer to Santa Barbara so we could become regulars and could experience lunch and dinner as well.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My mother, aunt and I were in Santa Barbara on the ONE rainy weekend in Southern California. I mean, it was pouring! I digress...Hungry for breakfast I looked onto the World Wide Web to direct us. Little did I know that I would still be dreaming of their breakfast a week later! I am a "clean eater" so finding a place to eat that fits my needs can be tricky sometimes. I typed in Organic and this non assuming little restaurant came up. Great! Off we went...did I mention it was raining? Haha! I would say that the only negative of this place is that it is not front and center on the main State Street. A little tricky to find. It is tucked into the little business center. Best best is to park in the big parking lot attached to the center and walk into it and you will find it in the center. We got there when they opened at 9am and that is the best bet as they got super busy and since it was raining ;) there was no outside seating that day which I think they do have on a sunny day. After reviewing that amazing menu we decided to share the lemon ricotta pancakes, the soft scrambled eggs and the bread basket. Amazing amazing amazing! All of them were to die for! Did I mention that the breads are made with all organic ingredients by the owners mother every morning. Every morning! Amazing! I can't wait to go back! I live three hours away so I am seeing a road trip in the near future :) A must go to anyone visiting the area!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

This review is for dinner. We so wanted to love this place. Based on our experience , they should stick to breakfast. The pros: lovely, cozy interior, some interesting items on the menu,a nice bread basket, excellent duck, and they were good at accommodating a young ( well behaved) child. The cons: the double edge of cozy is that we could hear the entire discussion (including their health issues) of the only other table of people in the restAurant, there was a very Ill-conceived pasta dish that I couldn't continue eating after two bites ( vinegary and foul), extremely long wait between courses, tho my husband loved his duck, he said the bitter apple/sauerkraut didn't go with the rest of the dish. and they had a very unsatisfying response to my uneaten dish. The waiter offered to comp us a dessert, which we declined, but charged us for the dish I sent back. After paying the bill, when we told the manager the dish was off he argued and said it's one of his favorite dishes to eat-- they really didn't seem to care that a paying customer found a dish inedible. Their responses took this from a 3 star review down to 1 star.

1  Thank gottabetraveler
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Valentine's night was the second time for us at Scarlett Begonia. It wasn't a disappointment! The food was excellent, from the roasted port belly appetizer (and the chicken liver appetizer). They were both beautifully presented with unexpected flavorings. Entrees were the bay scallops and the hanger steak - both delicious. Desserts of Valrhona chocolate pudding and vanilla ice cream didn't disappoint. The outside has a much nicer ambience than the inside tables. Only the service was a little rough - our server was young, lovely and somewhat inexperienced. Special note: Restaurants can suck the romance out of an evening by charging outrageous prices. Not so S.B. $55 per person was totally reasonable for the quality/amount.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

What a nice spot for a restaurant; creatively decorated inside, the patio outside is charming. Unfortunately, that's where the experience takes a turn for the negative.
I met a friend there for breakfast recently, we chose to sit inside. While waiting for my friend, I noticed there were 2 and sometimes 3 employees behind the counter, chatting, making coffee, not paying attention to the few customers that were there. I ordered a cinnamon roll while waiting; after waiting for what seemed like a very long time (15 minutes), I asked the server if the said roll would be coming soon. She responded abruptly, yes, that's it! We ordered the rest of our breakfast, we didn't see much of our server after the food was brought to our table. We had to call her over to get more coffee, etc. We were not asked how our food was. All this time, the 2-3 employees were still having a great time behind the counter. Eventually, the owner came out from the kitchen. She never acknowledged any of the customers in the restaurant but had an equally good time with the employees behind the counter.
The food was just okay - what a shame; such a quaint little place, nothing that will bring us back though.