“A small, quiet Boutique Hotel wiith a helpful staff”
Review of Spanish Garden Inn

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis
“A small, quiet Boutique Hotel wiith a helpful staff”
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I drove up from the LA area and found the hotel a few blocks off the freeway exit as per Mapquest. Note: Santa Barbara requires businesses to have quite small signs. Everything almost seems hidden from a distance. I parked on the street after I spotted the hotel on the left and got instructions from the staff as to how to get into their indoor parking area.
This hotel was a great choice (from this website) for my first visit to Santa Barbara. I am a hotel buff and have traveled the world so I have lots of hotels to compare it with (in the $200-$400 range). From the photos you can see it's Spanish style.
The room was clean and nicely sized. It had a view of a patio area and a balcony with chairs. A gas fireplace that actually worked was in the corner.
I had a beautiful walk-in shower in the bath. Soaps and shampoos had a great scent.
I wanted to tour Wineries and see the whales. This is what you do when you visit this city. The staff was very helpful and made my reservations for me. Note: bring a jacket for both tours. You travel a bit on the freeway in a jeep for the winery tour and if your ship goes through fog on the whale whatching tour there is a big drop in temperature...even on a warm, sunny day.
The main drag for Santa Barbara (State Street) is only a couple of blocks away. This happened to have all three restaurants for my dinners. I walked to all of them.
On my second full day in Santa Barbara I took a tour of four area wineries. A tiny memory stick slipped out of my pocket sometime during the tour. After I returned home I realized that I had lost it and I contacted this hotel staff about the tour company and where it could possibly be found. The staff contacted the company and they found the memory stick on the floor of the jeep that was used. This type of personal service can't be found everywhere.
A comment about Santa Barbara's shopping. A bit of a disappointment if you are looking for arts and crafts and high end merchandise in the city center. I think the residents spend their money on their mortgages. Nice restaurants and beaches though.
If I were to return to Santa Barbara, I would definately stay at The Inn Of The Spanish Garden again.

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank Navigator10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 14, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding and LOVED it. It is definitely pricier (I think we paid $330/night), but it's well worth it! We had a fireplace in our room, wonderful bathroom amenities, a beautiful patio area near the pool (which looked to be standard for all rooms) and free movies and popcorn. The room was very spacious, and the inn overall was very quiet. Contrary to what another user wrote about the breakfast room, we thought it was very nice and there was indoor/outdoor seating, so you could sit out by the fountain if you desired. The breakfast itself was also high-quality, offering quiche, cereals, bagels, pastries, orange juice, tea and coffee drinks. I honestly hate to gush anymore because I don't want it to become too popular! I am definitely recommending this place to my friends and family.

• Liked — Cleanliness, amenities, privacy
  • Disliked — Rooms are a little expensive
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maverick8275
San Francisco
Reviewed August 25, 2006

We stayed in room 16 which overlooked the main courtyard. It was lovely. Very quiet and spacious. Our room had a fireplace, big tub, nice showers and was just lovely. The breakfast was great. Quiche, fruit, cereal and assorted breakfast drinks.

Staff was great. Very helpful and accommodating.

The pool was small, not deep, but very relaxing. Gave lots of towels.

Parking is completely free for hotel guests. No valet parking which was great. You just drive in and park, tell the staff the make and color of your car.

Incredibly close to State St but far enough so you don't hear the busy traffic. Free wifi but it didn't work in the room. Ethernet worked perfectly and they gave the ethernet cord. All internet was free.

Newspapers delivered everyday. Water pressure of showers were great. Overall a lovely experience.

Highly recommend Arigato for sushi and Buccatini for italian. Affordable and excellent food.

• Liked — The size. Small number of rooms which made it very quaint.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank eadolfo
california
Reviewed August 23, 2006

My wife and I had a very pleasant stay here for three nights...very accomodating, bath special listed on the website was a nice touch for my wife. great location, very clean rooms and nice staff. This was our third trip to Santa Barbara....would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank rnaj35
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 20, 2006

We just returned from a brief stay at the Inn of the Spanish Garden, and it was near perfection. The room was lovely, well appointed, comfortable, with fantastic linens and a charming balcony overlooking the flower-filled courtyard. The staff arranged for a bottle of wine to be waiting for us with a hand-written note congratulating us on our anniversary. Speaking of the staff, they are second to none. Shanda at the front gave fantastic detailed advice on take-out lunch options, beaches and other nearby activities, and dinner suggestions -- and she made us reservations (and must have told the restaurant of our special occasion because an unexpected complementary tiramisu arrived at our table before we had a chance to order dessert). All of her suggestions were right-on. The pool is a bit small as some have noted, but it's also a lovely little oasis that is usually uncrowded. Location is fantastic -- close walking distance to State St. and many great eateries, etc. Only quibble was that noise does carry in the courtyard, and if children (or noisy adults) are around it can be a bit grating. But we blame that more on bad manners than the hotel. For a special occasion, this great little hotel really delivered.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BWAusten
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2006

As a Brit in LA wasn't sure what to expect when I read 'quaint'! But, a really lovely quiet hotel. No fancy frills but simple touches, such as complimentary birthday wine & lovely Molton Brown toiletries. A very laid back feel, with self service breakfast (great quiche!). It's a really great find for a few quiet days away in Santa Barbara.

• Liked — Unique layout
  • Disliked — Ran out of quiche for breakfast by 10am
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mot1e
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Booked the room via the hotel directly. When booking, I specifically mentioned that I would be traveling with 2 adult sized "children" (teenage boys) and I would be using a roll-away bed myself (and let my boys have the huge king bed) since the 2 queen bed room was unavailable during our stay at this Inn. The booking person assured me that their rollaway bed was adequate for an adult . . . be very weary if you are using a rollaway for an adult at this hotel-it is the poorest type rollaway bed that I have ever tried (and I've been on a few in my travels). In any case, the staff did try their best to "fix" this very upsetting problem once I told them that the rollaway bed was not going to give me a night's sleep, and we tried another rollaway (worse than the first), putting 2 rollaway mattresses on the floor (eww) and finally, giving me directions to Sears to buy an air mattress so I could be assured of getting some sleep that first night at this hotel.

That was the most pressing problem of our stay, but during our 2nd day at this property, we came back in the early afternoon to find a worker hammering, sawing, and pounding on a door in an upstairs room, to replace a door lock. It went on for hours, so my afternoon nap was not happening. So much for a "quiet" afternoon at this property. I was surely expecting that much, after having to deal with the fiasco of just trying to sleep at this property! I purposely booked this property looking for some peace and quiet, my sons are not noisy, or intrusive, so they were not going to be a problem at any quiet type inn or hotel we were going to stay at. In any case, on day #2 of our stay, after the hours of noise from the lock replacement on the room above ours, we thought maybe we'd get a quiet night sleep, but that was not going to happen with all the clomping, running and pounding from the room directly above ours (a jr. suite on the end of the property) since it sounded like herds of elephants clomping about, which I'm sure was just a couple with young children (or maybe a couples only party? ;) stomping about until pretty late, maybe 11ish. I was not happy with our 2 day/night stay at this inn, and will not return, even if it's only for a quiet weekend away, by myself. The only good thing that did happen was in my pursuing some rectification by these inconveniences, I finally got ahold of the general manager, and she agreed to cut my room rate in half. I would have chosen to pay full room rate, and had none of the problems, but that was not to be on this trip (our first) to Santa Barbara. Probably our last . . . :(

My final suggestion for this hotel's management would be to make this an adult only property, or adult with children over age 15 property. For the prices they charge (even in pricety S.B) per room/suite, noisy young/toddler type children should NOT be a part of the package.

• Liked — the feeling of Santa Barbara
  • Disliked — noisy young children at night
  • Tips/Secrets — do not go if expecting quiet