“Wanna go back!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, CA
“Wanna go back!”
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I booked a room for a b-day weekend at the inn based on the recommendations posted here. I lowered my expectations assuming nowhere could be as good as described here by others, but I was pleasantly surprise. I was greeted with a birthday card which offered each of us a glass of their house wine. We don't drink, but it was a nice gesture. We stayed in a tranquil, spacious double queen room. Our balcony had a view of the pool that was surrounded by lush greenery. I called a day earlier to see if they could help with dinner reservations. Not only had they made and confirmed the reservation, they had walking directions printed out for me when we checked in. Their recommendation for dinner spot on -- exactly in a price range and the kind of food we were looking for. I can't say enough about the staff who's always friendly and accessible. Only minor hiccup was that I booked the room for 3 people (and paid extra for the 3rd), and we only had 2 sets of towels and robes. I'm sure they would've taken care of it immediately had we asked, but we managed to do without.

5 Thank jelly88belly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Reviewed May 17, 2005

We stayed here on our honeymoon. It was nice, quiet, and romantic. The staff was wonderful and helpful, really friendly! There was a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room when we arrived, with soft music. The bed was wonderful and comfortable. The bath was great, very relaxing. Very nice! We will definitely stay here again! I can't wait!

Stayed April 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2005

We just stayed there from May 5-9. We arrived on Thursday around 1:30pm and the room was not ready so we headed to state street a short walk away. We had booked a Jr Suite. When we got back around 4pm we were given room 8 which is located under the archway across from the supply closet that is used to hold the towels etc. We were not offered cookies or lemonade (oh well). I requested a room with a balcony but they had none avaialble. I had requested it when I first booked the room about a month and half ago and then 3 days before we got there. Oh well. The room we had was nice,large,clean nice bed,tub fieplace. However the people above us where very heavy footed and we heard them walking back and forth and the ice machine was right near our room which was loud on occassion. We got the bath indulgence package and I would reccommed it. My g/f loved it and they come run the bath and light candles around the tub. very romantic and relaxing. They also bring a huge plate of fruit and a rubber duck...nice touch....

Staff was friendly and very accomdating. We had ordered in on Saturday night and before the delivery man got to our room the front desk gave him china and silverware and napkins for us. Very nice touch. Shanda gave us great recommedations for places to eat and things to do in wine country.

We also ordered a movie but you must request the popcorn... We also had a chance to visit El Encanto and the Biltmore. The Biltmore we had lunch there and it was great sat outside on the sundeck and had a great view of the water. Service was great food great but not cheap. We spent 130 for lunch no drinks just sodas. The grounds were very nice but did not have a chance to check out the rooms. We also went to El Encanto..I would reccommend to go just for the view. It is located up in the foothills and has an unbeleivable view of SB and the Pacific. We had dinner at the rest. I had a steak which was good and the g/f had salmon which she didnt like. I would reccomend going for the view and drinks..you will be impressed. We went to Epiphany rst for dinner on Sunday. It is co-owned by Kevin Costner..We had 7pm resy and got there..There was only 1 other couple in there and we had the whole rest to ourselves. the chef came out and personally deleived the food to us which was great. Maybe it was mothers day but it was pretty cool. Food was great and we had a personal touch.

We paid $369/night for the room at the INN which was a bit on the expensive side.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 6, 2005

My neice and I just returned from staying a few days the first week of May.
I had the best time there. We liked it because it wasn't those big and busy hotels. It was such a cozy atmosphere. No hustle and bustle of too many vistors, just quaint. The staff was courteous and very helpful. We asked them where to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And their recommendations were great. The room had a fireplace, sunken tub, bathrobes for your convenience. We arrived at 1pm and our room was available to check in. (Which rarely happens). Cookies were at the check in desk, which were yummy and warm. Our room had a king size bed which we added a rollaway also. We were a few steps from the courtyard. We had no balcony but we did have our own private patio. Our package included a king size bed, bottle of wine and a dinner gift cert worth 95.00 to Bouchon restaurant.The food there was delicious. Also it included a spa treatment in our room. I took the Amtrak from San Diego,Ca- to Santa Barbara(direct). From the station it was a 5-10min taxi ride to the Inn. My neice and I are going to make The Inn a yearly trip.

7 Thank becbec
Reviewed May 5, 2005

We stayed at the Inn of the Spanish Garden for a 2 night stop-over, whilst travelling down the California coast.

The hotel rooms were uniquely different from the norm - featuring a charming fireplace, rustic Spanish decor and a large bathroom with a separate tub and glass shower cubicle (with Molten Brown bath products!).

The hotel also provides a tasty complimentary breakfast consisting of fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, cereal, toast etc - which we enjoyed in the sunny courtyard.

Other nice features included complimentary parking, turn down service and free movies in your room (with complimentary popcorn!).

The hotel is well situated for the main shopping areas but is approximately 30 minutes walk from the beach (a car is recommended).

If you are looking for a hotel experience which is excellent and different from standard hotel chains - you must try this one!

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed May 3, 2005

Only three blocks from the middle of State Street, so a great location for shopping, eating and drinking. Weekend rates are steep, but good weekday rates can be found on the hotel's website. We'd certainly return.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank RodenbachRuss
woodland hills, ca
Reviewed April 17, 2005

We just came back from a trip to Santa Barbara (4/15-4/18/2005) and was lucky enough to stay at the inn at the spanish garden. My wife and i have stayed at some of the most high end resorts around the world and none compare to the attention we received at the hotel. Everything was perfect from the breakfast to the decor in the room. We pre-booked another stay at this hotel for July before we left the hotel.

• Stayed January 2005