“Quiet Oasis”

Spanish Garden Inn
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Lots to like. Quiet spot, yet blocks from the heart of downtown. Intimate scale and lovely courtyard. Very attentive staff. Rooms are spacious and ours had a balcony and fireplace. Architecturally interesting complex. Much more boutique than corporate hotel environment. Easy place in the heart of the town to have a car and have access to the entire region. Had an authentic feel. We really enjoyed the stay for four nights.

Room Tip: Rooms facing onto the courtyard or the pool are preferred. Not sure there are any bad rooms, but an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

dtgoug,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit with us. I am glad to read that your stay was an exceptional one. We are proud of our non-corporate vibe and work hard to maintain that quiet comfortable feeling.

As an aside on your room tips: We do not have any "street-facing" rooms. In fact, due to the extra care taken with the construction of the rooms that are closer to our (not busy) street, they might just be our quietest rooms.

Please visit us again soon and thank you once more for your review.

Brian Cogswell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spanish resort feel in the heart of Santa Barbara, three block walk to State St and maybe a half mile down to the beach. Rooms clean and spacious, many with terraces. Parking under the inn which is a big plus in Santa Barbara. Terrific breakfast included. Pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet in this neighborhood.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hamptonstraveller
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are known for our quiet location and top notch service and I am glad that you were able to experience the best we have to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Everything about this hotel was top rated. Although we are always nervous about seeing a hotel in person, this was as nice as reported. We were pleased with our stay here. Room was spacious, bed was comfortable, and room was very attractive. Brian was very polite and helpful during our visit. A return customer in the future. Thank You.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Charles,

Thank you for the review and for choosing to stay with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us. Brian is one of our best hosts and I will pass on your kind words to him.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pleasant place cosmetically once inside (as it should be given the price) - but not outstanding. Nice breakfast.

However, the compliments end there. Traffic on the street side is noisy. We did not get the quiet room away from the street as we had requested when we made the reservation two months in advance.

We had rented two rooms for two nights for us and our grandsons from Massachusetts. The real aggravation was the attitude at the front desk when at around mid-morning the day of our departure we asked for a late check-out on ONLY ONE of our two rooms (1:00 pm instead of their normal 11:00 am) - not an unusual request, perhaps further supported by the high cost of our bill. We planned to take our grandsons to the beach for their last swim in the Pacific and were hoping that the boys could come back from the ocean to change out of their swimsuits and shower before the next leg of our car trip. I told the front desk that this was important to us and seemed a reasonable request since it was only on one of the two rooms and for a valid reason.

However, housekeeping would not grant the front desk authority to go beyond noon as if the there was a firm line at one hour of grace. Since I saw several people checking out earlier it was not like there were no rooms available for cleaning. When I noted that we really needed the extra hour, it was a categorical NO. The best explanation from the somewhat irritating woman at the front desk was that there was need for flexibility for PEOPLE WHO MIGHT WANT TO CHECK IN EARLY. This made no equitable sense to me since an early checkin (of which our request was not eliminating the possibility) seemed not a clear trump of a late checkout. Who ever heard of a guaranteed early checkin?

What would have been a not too bad, but expensive stay turned into an unpleasant interaction, poor service, an arrogant attitude, and an overall not worth the price paid feeling. Too bad a lack of emphasis on customer satisfaction left a sour taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank AlleninSonoma
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

AlleninSonoma,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your check-out process was not up to our usual standards.

We are a small property with large rooms and very high standards for cleanliness. For those reasons 12 noon is the latest we are able to grant for those needing a later check-out. I apologize that you were misinformed about the reasons for our policy and I have spoken to the host who assisted you.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. Should you wish to do so, you may call me at 805-564-4700.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel was exactly what a group of 4 tired post-Coachella travellers needed to relax and come back down to earth!

The setting is beautiful - the courtyard garden with its pool, tables and chairs and little fire pits were lovely to sit at in the evening with a glass of red wine. The room was spotless with lovely comfy beds and immaculately decorated. The shower was great too.

The staff were very friendly and there 24-7. There's free parking in the basement garage and they helped us to plan a wine tour and had little map cards to get to any restaurant in town. The warm fresh cookies were delicious too - I couldn't stop myself eating them every day!

Breakfast was really good, lots of choice and they made fresh quiche and smoothies in the mornings. Sitting outside in the sun with fresh fruit and bagels was lovely.

The area is really pretty and we walked everywhere, down to the beach, around the town and to various restaurants and bars. It's quite a quiet town and everything seems to shut very early (at least to our European mindset!), but we really enjoyed spending time there and the Spanish Garden Inn was the perfect base.

I would definitely stay there again if I go back to Santa Barbara.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ic060
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Very jealous of your Coachella experience. I was unable to attend this year.... :-)

Thank you so much for the great review. I am pleased that we were able to provide a calm and relaxing conclusion to your California vacation.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

wonderful boutique hotel in heart of SB...beautiful room (#11) with lovely balcony overlooking quiet pool...outstanding breakfast every day....great staff...walk everywhere...free parking...complimentary s;mores at night in courtyard around fire table....great in room spa services available...overall.fabulous honeymoon

Room Tip: liked the room over the pool vs courtyard...but no elevator...they will bring your bags up
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Mr. Siegel,

Congratulations on your marriage and thank you for choosing to spend your honeymoon with us. I am so glad that we could be a part of your special occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many future anniversaries.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Based on the many excellent reviews on TripAdvisor, I booked two Executive Rooms at the Spanish Garden Inn and wasn't disappointed. One of the rooms was on the second floor near the elevator for my elderly parents while my daughter and I shared a room across the courtyard overlooking the pool. The rooms were very nice, although a little smaller than pictured on their website, but still fine rooms with a very nice balconies and fireplaces. It was very quiet, but we prefer it that way. Breakfast is included (standard cold breakfast items, including yogurt, cereals, and fruit) along with one hot entree (quiche) and for the European visitors: a meat/deli plate (which I had one of the mornings). Coffee, tea, and lemonade, water, and iced tea were available at all hours off the lobby. Some reviewers complained of a small pool, but it really isn't that small...enough to have a nice, refreshing swim (the weather was cool for June). The walk to State Street is maybe three blocks away, so no car is really necessary other than the occasional taxi ride. BTW, the electric trolley is only 50 cents (25 cents for seniors over 62) and comes in really handy when traversing State Street. Spanish Garden Inn's staff was very accommodating, but I do have one minor issue. While I was parking the car (free in-door parking...a BIG plus), my father checked us all into the hotel. According to my daughter, there was no mention of room service or other hotel amenities. Had I not inquired the following day, we would not have known that this hotel offered limited room service (which my parents opted for Saturday afternoon, and loved) as well as a Restaurant Connection Service where one could have food from a variety of restaurants delivered directly to the room (which we all did Sunday evening). Guess there were in-room spa services according to their website, but no hotel pamphlet made mention of this. Oh, wait a minute, we did not receive any hotel pamphlets. For first-time customers, in particular, I expect staff to properly and immediately inform their customers at check-in of all their services and amenities, including the provision of hotel literature. Nonetheless, this was a most excellent stay at a beautiful inn and if, and when, we return to Santa Barbara, I will definltely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

toadsoup,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Spanish Garden Inn. I am very sorry for the staff not handing you our directory magazine at check-in. It is loaded with information about the property and our services and should be handed to all of our guests.

I do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Barbara and thank you again for the review.