“Hard to leave this place without a buzz and a few extra bottles”

Municipal Winemakers
Ranked #86 of 178 things to do in Santa Barbara
More attraction details
Owner description: After spending our formative years traveling and studying terroir and techniques, we are now working hard to make honest, interesting, and delicious wines for the people of this world. We do this with love—carefully and slowly.
Reviewed August 30, 2012

You can lose yourself in this winery very quickly. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) and I were recommended this place by a bar tender at The Pub as a good spot to side and enjoy a bottle(s) of wine. Be warned no food at this place, only fantastic reds (and whites I'm sure). But they let you bring your own food in. So practice would be go with 8+, bring some pizza pies, buy a bunch of reds and sit outside on the picnic tables.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Very cool, hip place – lots of interesting antiques incorporated in, including old file cabinets they store the wine glasses in, antique cash register, and a massive calculator that would definitely not fit in your purse. Wonderful wines. Tasting was $10 for 5 tastes. They are also one of the only tasting rooms to have cheese available (gotta love wine and cheese). The cheese plate (3 cheeses from the upscale cheese shop C’est Cheese) was incredible. Open until 11 pm (at least on Friday) which is nice since a lot of the tasting rooms close at 5 or 6. We visited quite a few tasting rooms this weekend, and I think Municipal is my favorite.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Funky space. Fun, young kid pouring decent wine. Nice that they're one later ad can taste or buy by the glass.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Everything is great !!! New location is amazing. The coolest aesthetics and wine in town.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I got talking with the owner and he told me that he spent his apprenticeship learning from my side of the world in Western Australia. And then he got me a glass of their sparkling Shiraz (aka FIZZ) which blew my mind. Not only does this place have cool knowledgable pourers. But the style of this place truly is unique. Maintaining a unique feel right down next to the beach it resides in a gutted out dive shop that now has more of a feeling of a cali/ NY remodeled studio warehouse. The curation of the space is brilliantly don with amazing wine bottle chandeliers and filing cabinet wine holders. They have wine on tap which you can come and fill up growlers whenever you need and the design from the T-shirts to the wine bottles is so engaging and fresh. I went through their catalogue and every year they have outperformed on the designs. I even love the name of their club - Club Awesome. Municipal Winemakers comes with the highest recommendation - you will not be disappointed. Especially with The FIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!