“So excited to try after seeing on Diners Drive ins & Dives” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mac's Fish & Chips Shop - CLOSED

Mac's Fish & Chips Shop
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
“So excited to try after seeing on Diners Drive ins & Dives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in yesterday for lunch ordered the Whale and a cup of clam chowder. Our clam chowder came out first Which consisted of a thin base chowder not many clams and flavor ok but not over the top as I hoped. Then our fish was delivered to us and boy howdy it was huge and hot so focused on our beverages. Finally still warm but easier to handle we got down to business and even on the last bite it still was warm & CRUNCHY!!! Impressed more often I have to peel off the batter because it gets soft and why eat that? But I thought I would try the fries oh my had such a nasty taste like the oil was old. Then I happened to hear our neighbors to the right of us saying the same thing as I was saying to my husband. There I knew I was right so o got up and went to the very nice young men at the counter explained what we thought but their customers seated next to us were saying the same thing. They thanked us and asked us if we would like to have new fries in new oil. Ok I will give it a try. The fries came out and were good but our neighbors left with bad oil taste in their mouth.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank boothplease

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good fish, okay chips”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We loved the fish, it was fantastically crispy on the outside and fresh on the inside. I ordered the small which was a nice sized piece of fish. The chips were okay--they do not seem authentic (I've only had f&c in England once). They are kind of thick and they don't take the skins off. Mine needed lots of salt. My wife had the clam chowder which she enjoyed.

I liked the fish so would probably go again to just get that and try some of their desserts. It is an easy place to get in and out of if you are in a hurry as we were.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Lynn C
West Yorkshire
“Rubbish ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

We visited here what on holiday from the UK and can say the Fish and Chips were rubbish. The fish was just ok and the chips were dark brown and over cooked, they tasted really bitter and were only just edible after loads of vinegar ! We were disappointed as we were looking forward to them! This is not how British fish and chips should be.

Hanoi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed in Santa Barbara with our three kids. We're Aussies so we know what good fish and chips is like. We bought takeout for the whole family. This was easily the worst we have eaten anywhere - tasteless fish fried in very old stale oil, and the chips were just as bad. We could only stomach a small amount. My son, age 13, spent most of the night vomiting, and was sick for the next two days. Avoid!

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Toronto
“Authentic english fish and chips without being too greasy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I shared the Whale sized portion of fish and chips with coleslaw, which was more than enough for dinner. The beer batter on the fish and chips was thin and light making for a not too greasy meal. The cod was fresh and delicious. The coleslaw, like the fish, was just slightly on the bland side. The chips however are probably hard to beat. The thick cut fries were freshly fried without being too crispy. Although we did not try the haggis, I was tempted to try it watching another table enjoying it. Service was friendly and quick.

• Visited April 2014