“Good fish, okay chips”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mac's Fish & Chips Shop - CLOSED

Mac's Fish & Chips Shop
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good fish, okay chips”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We loved the fish, it was fantastically crispy on the outside and fresh on the inside. I ordered the small which was a nice sized piece of fish. The chips were okay--they do not seem authentic (I've only had f&c in England once). They are kind of thick and they don't take the skins off. Mine needed lots of salt. My wife had the clam chowder which she enjoyed.

I liked the fish so would probably go again to just get that and try some of their desserts. It is an easy place to get in and out of if you are in a hurry as we were.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Lynn C

West Yorkshire
“Rubbish ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

We visited here what on holiday from the UK and can say the Fish and Chips were rubbish. The fish was just ok and the chips were dark brown and over cooked, they tasted really bitter and were only just edible after loads of vinegar ! We were disappointed as we were looking forward to them! This is not how British fish and chips should be.

Hanoi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed in Santa Barbara with our three kids. We're Aussies so we know what good fish and chips is like. We bought takeout for the whole family. This was easily the worst we have eaten anywhere - tasteless fish fried in very old stale oil, and the chips were just as bad. We could only stomach a small amount. My son, age 13, spent most of the night vomiting, and was sick for the next two days. Avoid!

• Visited April 2014
Toronto
“Authentic english fish and chips without being too greasy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I shared the Whale sized portion of fish and chips with coleslaw, which was more than enough for dinner. The beer batter on the fish and chips was thin and light making for a not too greasy meal. The cod was fresh and delicious. The coleslaw, like the fish, was just slightly on the bland side. The chips however are probably hard to beat. The thick cut fries were freshly fried without being too crispy. Although we did not try the haggis, I was tempted to try it watching another table enjoying it. Service was friendly and quick.

• Visited April 2014
San Francisco, California
“Englishman's treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

As a brit, I’m always weary of American restaurants that claim to be fish & chips shops. If there is one dish we do well in England its F&C's. I was pleasantly surprised with Mac's and it was great to wash the yummy food down with a decent beer.

Visited December 2013