“Good food, good value”

Mac's Fish & Chips Shop
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I'll be honest, this was about my fourth choice for dinner, but things just weren't going my way, private parties, early closures, it just happens that I ended up here. But I'm glad I did, the food was good, and very reasonably priced. I had fish and chips and a bowl of clam chowder. I really liked the soup, best clam chowder I'd had in some time, seasoned just right. Both the fish and chips were good, obviously fried up fresh as it took quite some time to cool enough for me to eat. The little container of tartar sauce was a bit stingy, but they happily provided more on request. I would highly recommend this over the more expensive options for fish and chips on the waterfront.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

A favorite lunch stop of mine on lower State Street. The owner is from Manchester and he has done an excellent job of providing reasonably priced solid English grub. Fish and chips on fake newspaper are around $7 and haggis is about the same price.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

The fish was hot, crispy, and delicious. What else could you ask for? The restaurant is small, not good for large groups.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had been wanting to try Mac's for a while, since they are part of the Sustainable Seafood program, and I wasn't dissapointed. For my first trip I had to try, you guessed it, the fish and chips. The fish was great, and the chips were also great and obviously home made. The atmosphere wasn't the best in the world, but that's something I can easily overlook since the food was great and the service was very prompt and friendly. I would definitely recommend it. Oh, and against my better judgement, I tried a bite of one of my friends' Haggis, and was pleasantly surprised, the flavor was fantastic, and the texture didn't put me off at all.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I went in for the fish and chips but ordered the sheperds pie instead. A good balance of flavors with a combination of ground beef and lamb, and the gravy over the top of the mashed potatoes gave the pie the right amount of moisture. The place itself was rather dismal, but in line with the choices in this part of State Street. I happened to be in the area because of a nearby music conference. If you want better surroundings for your lunch break, keep walking up the street.