“Bring a big appetite for good food to this place.”
Review of Esau's Cafe - CLOSED

Esau's Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: (805) 965-4416
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Esau's is tucked away on Chapala St but really worth looking for. Look for the blue umbrellas out front. We had a comfy corner table in the front of the place. There is quite a sizable menu with a bit of a Southern touch to it. Especially the grits. Lynda had them with scrambled eggs and bacon, which she said was exceptionally good. I ordered one of my favorites, calamari steak, which is served in a delicious crust. It was quite large and came with scrambled eggs, buttered grits, sauce and biscuits. Lynda also ordered a giant southern biscuit which we shared and then took half home it was so big. It came with a sauce as well. We ate as much as we could hold then packed a big to-go box with eggs, 1/2 the calamari steak, biscuit, etc. What a feast!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Yes, even with about a million restaurants to choose from in Santa Barbara, we went to this one two days in a row. Food was great - a very diverse menu - and the staff was friendly. Bathrooms were even clean! If you're looking for a great breakfast in Santa Barbara this is a must visit. I had the nachos on the second visit and they were AMAZING! The salsa, beans, chips - every part was great! Oh and did I mention they have a full bar if you're up for a cocktail?! Prices fair as well. Wish there was one by my house.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

It's a nice enough place -- surfboards hanging from the ceiling, surf photos and produce labels on the walls. Good menu with lots of variety. Friendly and helpful waitress. Portions were large and when we asked for extra hollandaise sauce we got a huge bowl of it. Unfortunately, the food was at best mediocre. The Benedict with spinach and tomato lacked flavor, particularly the hollandaise sauce that had no lemon and little flavor and tasted like something out of a can. Biscuits were dry and heavy. Gravy was similarly lacking taste and oddly reminiscent of something you opened with a can opener. Oh -- and the coffee. The coffee was weak, flavorless and tasted, if anything, of the absolute worst of Santa Barbara water. Folks, this may be better than what you're used to but it just isn't very good.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I'm a big breakfast person. One thing i love here is there coffee. I dont know if it was because if me that they started selling their coffee. On my first visit i asked the head waitress if i can buy coffee. She said they don't sell their coffee. When i returned after a few months i talked to the guy owner and he sold me two lbs of
Coffee. My friends went back to Esaus and there it was included in there menu already. They're SELLING COFFEE!! Now every time my fiancée travels to Santa Barbara to buy me 2lbs of coffee beans they ran out of it. Should they thank me for this great idea??? Place is small but thats why makes it sellable. Its a good advertising when people are lining up in front of your establishment.
Anyway i hope they have coffee when i return to Santa Barbara. Angie

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had the most delicious omelette- the Greek. The ingredients are fresh, delicious, served piping hot, and I left full and satisfied. My breakfast came with pan potatoes- delicious, and a biscuit with butter and homemade jam. Everything was delicious. My friend had the chicken fried steak. Between bites, he reported that it was delicious as well. When we arrived on Saturday morning it was busy. We sat at the small counter and were greeted quickly. Our breakfast arrived much faster than I thought it would have. I can't recommend this place strongly enough.