“Amazingly fun and beautiful tour!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cloud Climbers Jeep Tours

Cloud Climbers Jeep Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Celebrating 17 years, Cloud Climbers’ Back-Country Wine Tour is the original and best wine tasting experience in Santa Barbara & the Santa Ynez Valley. Driver-guided, custom tours in open-air 7-passenger Jeeps. Amazing scenery, back-roads, wine tasting at 4 unique wineries and a picnic lunch included. Door-to-door service. Sunset, Mountain, Horseback-riding combination tours also available. Departs daily.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Phoenix, Arizona
“Amazingly fun and beautiful tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

The Cloud Climbers Backcountry Tour was absolutely beautiful and so much fun! We were all asked for input on what types of wine we liked and what wineries we would like to visit so that the tour could be customized to the preferences of the group. Traveling by Jeep was great, since we were able to better experience the outdoors and the gorgeous views of the vineyards. It was much more fun than driving around in a closed-up car or van. They provided a delicious lunch from a local restaurant, and we ate at one of the wineries on our tour that had a beautiful view of the vineyards. The tour guide was friendly, enthusiastic, flexible, and extremely knowledgeable. He had a background in archaeology, so on our way to the wineries, we got to learn a lot about the historical populations that inhabited the area, as well as interesting facts about the local flora and fauna. I definitely recommend this tour, and would go on it again next time I’m in Santa Barbara.

Chicago, IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect mix of talk, travel, and wine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I did a Cloud Climbers tour for my birthday. We had an amazing day and saw so much wildlife along the way. I would warn that this was a 7 hour day and we only hit 4 wineries, so this is not a booze fest by any stretch. But a totally different and wonderful experience that we will not soon forget. Settle in, listen to the very informed drivers (request Joseph if you can), and enjoy the beautiful scenery!

1 Thank tanyapoth
Calabasas, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Feeling extravagant without paying for extravagant...just my style!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

I will just copy the letter I sent to Cloud Climbers after we returned from our trip. You know you enjoyed yourself when you have the urge to write a letter thanking that company right? :-) Enjoy, we did !!

Sent: 06/29/2010
To David, Leah, John, and the whole Cloud Climbers Team,

I wanted to extend a sincere thank you to everyone involved and a special thank you to John (our driver.) My boyfriend and I had a unbeatable time on your tour. I have never had an experience close to it in my whole life.

You made a trip which would be have been lovely in most settings as beautiful as Santa Barbara, into an experience of a life time. I know that sounds a bit silly, but without our actual spending being extravagant, I felt extravagant. We loved all of the wineries we had a chance to visit. Each had their own special charm, I wish we could have kept going until we visited them all.

John himself was an absolute charmer, he kept the laughter rolling and the fun facts flowing. I will of course take the most important fun fact back with me "what happens on the jeep stays on the jeep, until it gets written in John's book." :-)

Once of my personal favorites of the trip was when we arrived at a winery and I looked around in the parking lot at all the other wine tour vehicles, then turned to looked at ours... ours was by far the best!!! (I bet everyone who was not on our jeep wanted to be!)

So once again thank you for your kindness, affordability, local fun facts, great taste in wine, and most of all thank you for giving us memories for a life time !!

We hope to come and visit you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Jennifer Looy

1 Thank JenniferLooy
Seattle, Washington
“Very Disappointing...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

If you know anything about wine, don't go on Cloud Climbers. When we booked, we were asked what types of wine we liked and the experience we were looking for. We told them that we wanted to visit less known, boutique wineries and interested in tasting the best that Santa Barbara has to offer. We were told that this would be no problem and that our tour guide would construct the perfect tour - and we would be paired with other individuals who had similar taste.
Our tour guide knew less about wine than we did. Couldn't even say difficult wine words like "sommelier" or "gewurztraminer". And we were given the tourist tour - complete with a stop on the "Sideways" wineries. None of the wine we tasted was even decent - nothing we could purchase. In the middle of the tour, the group tried to talk to our tour guide - to see if we could change the next winery. He was very, very reluctant and in the end did not do so.
While the others with whom we were paired were good company and made a miserable experience almost fun, they were all novice wine drinkers - thus we were not paired with people like us - as promised when we booked.
Oh yes - and the lunch - a gourmet sandwich - with a warm bottled water.
Keep your $120 - and find a cab driver who will take you up there for the same money.

1 Thank TrueReviews9K
Palmdale,CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If we were at Disneyland it would be an "E" ticket”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

We went on the Santa Barbara wine tasting tour and it was great. If you have a chance to do this I highly recommend it. Be sure and request John as your driver or any of them are probably great. The other cloud climber jeeps we saw the drivers were all friendly.

1 Thank atlynch