“The location is always 5 star!”

Boathouse at Hendry's Beach
Ranked #8 of 530 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are not a dog friendly establishment, though located near a dog friendly beach.
Chico
“The location is always 5 star!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

About every 6 weeks, I visit family in SB. My husband was with me on this trip, and we went here for breakfast this morning (May 1). Our meals were prepared exactly as requested - SB omelets with the bacon inside extra crisp, and potatoes very crisp. A lovely sliced, fresh avocado graced the top of the omelet. The potatoes tasted deep fried-yum! ( I am frequently here alone, and have noticed that there must be several different preparers, as every now and then, neither bacon nor potatoes were very crisp, even though I make the same request each time.) We lucked out today, and it was prepared to our liking with no "re-do's".
The greeter was pleasant, and the server took our order in a timely fashion; however, there have been times when the wait for service (after seating) has seemed unnecessarily long. Today, water and coffee refills were offered right when we were ready for it. The food is usually average to good, today it was excellent. I did miss a piece of fresh fruit as part of the presentation...if I recall correctly, in the past there has been a slice of watermelon and/ or wedge of orange on the plate. At $12.95 the food seems a bit pricey, but to me that is off-set by the location. I gave Hendry's one less star than excellent due to inconsistency over time. I hesitated lowering the rating, because the ambiance is 5 star! (Okay, specifically, beach front; 180 degrees of ocean view especially if one sits on the patio; movable warmers if needed by the table to diffuse the chill of morning fog; old photos of lifeguards and surfers [think pre-"Beach Boys" era, like 1940's and 1950's, along the wall in the back by the restrooms; never feeling rushed; watching surfers, paddle boarders, metal detecting prospectors, and beach walkers/joggers moving in and out of one's view; and the dog friendly accommodation of a designated, shaded spot to leave your obedient pet (note for the non-animal lovers: the dogs' waiting area is not within view of the patrons who are eating.) I recommend Hendry's as a "gotta try it at least once" experience for locals as well as tourists.

Visited May 2013

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Arizona
“Love the atmosphere, you'll feel like you're a local dining in SB!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is another "go to" restaurant for us everytime we're in Santa Barbara. We typically call right before we head out so that we can get our name on the list. They have great indoor & outdoor dining, and just about everything on the menu is great! I highly recommend this restaurant and simply the experience for anyone traveling to Santa Barbara. It's right on the beach, which is dog friendly! Go, go now!

• Visited April 2013
Vienna, Virginia
“Beach-n-Feast...”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Restaurant Quick Tips:
1. MAKE RESERVATIONS (you’ve been warned); but the manager did tell me that they keep a number of tables unreserved for walk-ons
2. Directly on the beach (the TA photos are a perfect representation of the ‘boathouse’)
3. Parking can be tight; it is a shared lot with the public beach
4. Hours: They serve breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner and a weekend brunch
5. Indoor and Outdoor seating (Outdoor patio includes a wind barrier and heat lamps)
6. A bit pricy…check out the online menu, it lists prices
7. Hendry’s Beach is dog friendly…we enjoyed watching them frolic on the beach
8. Cash/Credit Card

This was simply the nicest meal of our vacation; gorgeous ocean views and delicious food.

Visited March 2013
Goleta
“Great view, thank goodness”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a group of 8 birthday meal in April. My meal was good, but the general experience was unpleasant. Our server didn't know the menu. It is helpful to know how food is prepared especially when people have allergies. All our meals were not ready at the same time. Drinks were not refilled including water. The birthday dessert was not what the birthday person wanted and no one was asked if they wanted dessert or coffee. All a bit more irritating when the 18% gratuity is included. No incentive to do a good job. It might be forgivable if prices were cheap or it was a burger and fries type place but it isn't. It is very noisy there. I think this place would be best for drinks, appetizerrs, and the view. Not good for groups.

• Visited April 2013
London
“Good Food, Glorious Sunset.”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a great little restaurant. Sitting outside on a warm summer evening with a view of the Pacific Ocean at sunset coulndn't be better. Match that with good food and friendly service and you have yourself a great evening.
We discovered this little gem a couple of years ago and make sure when we return to Santa Barbara we go back. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

• Visited June 2012