“Great beach spot”

Boathouse at Hendry's Beach
Ranked #24 of 567 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are not a dog friendly establishment, though located near a dog friendly beach.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Can't beat the location. Don't expect gourmet food but the ahi was good. The wait can be daunting so call ahead or stop in before you take your walk to sign up for the wait list. It's worth it just for the view although it can be a bit hectic.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

People have been raving to me about the Boathouse and since they came out with a Groupon I finally got around to trying it. What are they seeing that I'm not?? Yeah, the view is gorgeous...but so is standing outside on the beach for free...or going to a number of other restaurants on the beach in SB...or the Beachside in Goleta. When we arrived there was NO parking and about 12 cars circling the lot hoping for a spot. I was sure that we would be late for our reservation so I called to tell them that we were in the parking lot. Sunday at 5pm the place was so packed it wasn't even funny. WHAT?! My father (79) commented that they must be giving away free food or something... We (5 of us) were seated at a table for 4 with an extra setting squished in. And then we can get to the opposite of free...everything on the menu is between $19-$35 + market price items that I didn't even ask about. My mother is a vegetarian for the most part and I would need to see the menu again to see if they even offered a single vegetarian dish apart from plain pasta. Let's talk about pasta for a moment...my son ordered penne pasta off of the kid's menu. He received a soup bowl of exactly 51 penne noodles with perhaps a speck of butter. No drink included, no sides, nothing. I expect this meal cost them about 3 cents and cost me $6. We had bread plates and never got anything to put on them. The wine pour was stingy. Three of us got clam chowder for our appetizer and it was totally flavorless...seemingly no seasoning...and my son (8, and a clam chowder aficionado) said that the clams were gummy. He was right. It was just bad. Now to the $25 entrees...we had 3 different ones on the table (my mom stuck with the bad clam chowder...not finding anything to her taste on the menu)...the only difference between any of the 3 dishes was the meat. Imagine 3 plates with seasoned white rice, mixed vegetables (squash, bell pepper, onion), and the only difference being the choice of meat and sauce. NO presentation, nothing. I've gotten WAY better food for a fraction of the price (try Bistro 1111) and I was certainly glad that we were there on a Groupon by this point. I don't plan to go back on my dime! If you're looking for good food...go elsewhere!! If you want the view...watch the sunset from the beach and then go eat downtown!!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

The lobster tacos were very good but the dollop of guacamole on the top was beginning to turn brown--tasted okay but wasn't appetizing to look at. The margarita I ordered was bland. I expected this restaurant to be much better, it wasn't it and I'll skip it on my next trip.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

The view is fantastic. The service was atrocious. It took us 30 minutes before they even took our order and then they forgot part of it. Maybe that was a fluke, judging from the other reviews.
The food was fine, nothing outstanding and the prices were fair.
I am willing to give it another try because of the setting.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Santa Barbara for my son's wedding. We had never been there before so we were quite impressed by the beautiful beaches and quaint city. Upon arrival we were to meet our fellow future in laws for the first time. My son suggested The Boathouse for a breakfast. Although fairly busy we got seated decently quickly. However, my son had made reservations and they lost them. We adored the beautiful ocean view which you can see from most any seating. They do have seating outside but your view is obstructed somewhat by fencing. It was a little too windy and cool that early for me so glad we were indoors. My husband had eggs with corned beef hash. He said it was just okay. My son had an omelet with veggies. I had an omelet with crab. The breakfast potatoes were about average. The biscuit was hard. My omelet and my son's omelet were both WAY overdone and dry. I decided to just pull out the crab and cheese and gave up on the egg portion. Turns out his future in laws just had coffee with us. The service was less than par. With them only having coffee, the server never came back to give them a fill up and we were there a pretty long time. Of course we did not get any thing other than our drinks in the beginning and then our food. We did see our server all around us waiting on others but just never gave us another look until she brought the bill. She did not say anything even then. So to sum up: view awesome, food average, service sub par. If this had been any other place I would have rated it fair or poor, but with the view I just could not do that. Prices were high but to be expected. I would still give it another try for a different meal or time as servers come and go and so do chefs.