“Cozy and delectable”

Cuisines: French, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Small interesting dishes reasonably priced served in an intimate unpretentious niche in one of our lovely paseos.

There are newer reviews for Le Petit Valentien

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The owners of a wonderful art gallery (Waterhouse Gallery on La Arcada off State Street) recommeded we try Le Petit, as it is their favorite restaurant in Santa Barbara. As a professional foodie and cookbook author, I have to agree with their choice. The staff was wonderful and accomodating and the food was excellent. Very simple, healthy, and beautifully presented. And prices were pretty reasonable. Very nice experience and I hope to go back sometime!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Petit Valentin is located in what I think is the most charming shopping arcade in downtown Santa Barbara – La Arcada. The flowers, art work, layout and ambience of La Arcada is superb, and this French restaurant is a great addition to the arcade. Don’t bother looking for a menu online, because the menu changes frequently, based on the freshest ingredients the kitchen can find. This is classic French cuisine with a California touch that is creative, full of flavor, and reasonably priced. There usually are ten or so set menu items with a standard price for all, making a restaurant of this quality a true bargain. Service is pleasant and professional, and there are a few tables outside, but more inside in this petit restaurant. I’d highly recommend this place for a special gourmet meal in Santa Barbara.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Good food but nothing to really inspire. A good choice in Santa Barbara and the servings are nicely sized and priced. Pleasant, romantic atmosphere and the few tables outside in the arcade are nice.

1  Thank pbcNY
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have to say this restaurant is a real find. I wish it was in LA so I could go there all the time . Authentic French cooking, reasonable prices, cozy and intimate, with good service. My wife and I ate here and also at Stonehouse at the Santa Ynez ranch, and it was a real contrast, as we liked the food better at Valentien (not that Stonehouse was not good), more interesting selections, less stuffy and more intimate, and we did not have to drive to get there. I was far more relaxed and enjoyed the meal more because of the atmosphere.

I had frog legs to start (not quite as good as the place I get then in France but a quarter of the euro price! still very tasty and huge legs, and it is not that easy to find frogs legs in So Cal), and a wonderful Black Cod entrée (So much so I had to try to recreate it at home). Dessert was great too. Proportions were decent. And all for a very reasonable price.

I would go to this restaurant again in an instant. I would agree with many of the reviews that this is one of the best restaurants, overall, in So Cal. I am surprised its not higher up in the ratings for S. B.

Note, it was a little hard to find the restaurant because the address is for a courtyard, and when you look into the courtyard from State Street you don’t see it as the courtyard turns at the end to connect to the side street. Until I walked to the end of the courtyard and saw there was more to the courtyard , I thought I had the wrong address.

1  Thank Greg B