“The Four Seasons Biltmore taught me about luxury service.”

Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed December 21, 2009

The most peaceful, luxurious, relaxing stay at a hotel I've ever experienced.
I can't speak highly enough of the relaxing, peaceful, lush stay at this cozy discrete oceanside hotel.
Winding pathways brush through palm-dotted pacific gardens on this spanish-styled hacienda estate. Low buildings, with red-tiled rooves. A small swimming pool is surrounded by bushes to increase the privacy and avoid placing the pool as the center of attention between the guest room buildings. The lobby is a soaring 2-stories, like the grand hall of an old building. The guestrooms were filled with layers of the softest linens I have known, with views onto the gardens and ocean beyond. Very romantic and charming.
The staff was the most remarkable. As I walked across the property, the immaculately white-dressed young staff would frequently call me by name! "Good morning, Mr. Clooney" (names changed to protect the famously innocent, but I certainly felt like George Clooney). At one point, I had to insist that if they were going to freak me out by knowing my name after never having spoken to each other, then they should call me by my first name and not "Mr. Clooney". Particularly considering they were only a couple years younger than I, in their early 20s.
I got out on their tennis courts for a great match of tennis amongst friends. Rented a surfboard from in town and brought it back to Butterfly Beach, in front of the hotel, for a little shoulder exercise. (no waves)
We never enjoyed the restaurant, as we opted for dining in town.
The breakfast in bed was simply incredible, world class, including a newspaper, slippers, robe, paper, and just wonderful living.
I will go back there one day... just need to keep saving those pennies in the piggy bank. It doesn't come cheap.
This Four Seasons did teach me the value of paying more for a luxury hotel experience. It has defined the standard for me ever since, and nothing has yet passed it.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our fifth anniversary and our first trip without our children. We were so tired when we arrived that we spent half a day just laying in the incredibly comfortable bed. We had just a basic king bed room but it was large, with a desk and a big bathroom. The service was outstanding from the minute we checked in until we left to go home. I very much enjoyed the spa services and we both loved the breakfasts in the open air dining space. Santa Barbara itself is so beautiful and has so much to offer we never ran out of things to do. Both of us were worried about being away from our little ones at first but the surroundings were so perfect that we had an incredibly relaxing time. I can't wait to come back in another five years.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Left the kids at home and took our two Bouviers with us for the 4 nights of Thanksgiving. Thanks to Mark (car valet) and David (concierge) we had a wonderful experience. Dogs everywhere (small, medium and large (ours). Hotel provides excellent dog beds, Evaian water, water bowls and treats. Lots of grass to sniff and the beach across the street is most dog friendly. Gardners provided us with a hose to attempt to wash sand out of hairy dogs. After 4 days of surf and sand, took both pups to "Camp Canine" (ask concierge for phone) for a wash and shampoo $75 each. Camp Canine is a cross between Disneylands Thunder Mountain and your kids summer camp. Totally kool.

We staid at San Ysidro Ranch couple of months ago. Real tough decsion which is better (both owned by Ty Bennie Baby Warner). The Ranch can't touch the pool and beach of Biltmore. Biltmore can't touch the serenity of the Ranch.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Ken99
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Perfect location right on the beach! The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. We had a room facing the ocean and could hear the waves all night...very romantic! Easy access for golf at both Sandpiper and Montecito. Wine Country is only 40 minutes away. Free Beach Cruisers to head to the Pier or into town. Nightlife on State Street is only minutes away!

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldy426
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Just got back from a short stay at the FS Santa Barbara. My wife and I are frequent travelers and stay at FS and similar properties around the world. In short, we absolutely loved the FS Biltmore and cannot wait to go back again.

The property was built in the 1920's so no it is not modern. But the mission architecture and the setting across the street from the beach is downright spectacular. The grounds are beautiful and well landscaped and the beach club across the street is wonderful with an olympic sized heated pool and plenty of sun loungers.

We ate at the main restauraunt for breakfast and for snacks at sunset. The outdoor seating by the firepit was wonderful for sunset. Food and service were very good and food cost was what I expect when staying at this level of property anywhere in the world.

At check in we upgraded to a suite (461) which is the signature room/suite in the hotel photos. It has a Juliet window above a spiral staircase that is picture perfect. Room was wonderful with two full baths and a seperate living/dining area and bedroom. No elevator to the second floor rooms but that turned out to be the bellman's problem and not ours. Room was completely renovated with flat screen TV's and modern amenities yet retained alot of the Spanish Mission touches as well.

Staff was very kind and we enjoyed everyone. My wife said her massage at the spa was good, not great.

Simply put we cannot wait to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank goof87
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The hotel is close to almost everything. Classic hotel, excellent location and friendly staffs. (Hotel offers complimentary beach cruisers - great/nice/easy ride to the pier.)
Hotel guests can use Casino Royale beach club which is very nice. We had sunset dinner (Tydes restaurant) there but the portion was very small. We stayed there for 3 nights and it was a short stay. We would go back again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I think I have never experienced a Four Seasons that didn't get 5 stars from me. This is probably a 4.5 but I wanted to distinguish it from the others. The location is unbeatable--stunning views of the ocean with easy access. I loved getting up in the early morning and taking one of the most breathtaking walks imaginable along Channel Drive on the coast.

We had quite a nice suite, so I would say that our accommodation was first rate with very attractive, authentic, country furnishings. The spa was beautiful and first rate as well.

While the service was still superior to almost all other hotel chains, it was not as accommodating and attentive as other Four Seasons. I think they'll get there, but they have a little ways to go.

In summary, I have no hesitation to recommend this beautiful hotel and the staff is still very good but not perfect.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family