“Absolutely Fantastic!”

Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels and resorts around the world but this hotel is the best we have ever had the pleasure to stay in.
From the minute you walked in the door it just oozed class - the décor, the friendly and helpful staff were fantastic.
Our room was excellent , beautifully furnished and very spacious.
I think for the first time ever, you could not find fault with anything. It is expensive but you get what you pay for but do look out for the offers - we stayed for 4 nights and the 4th night was free - we also had breakfast included - daily credit of $95 which was impossible for us to use - the buffet at $67per couple was just fantastic.
If we ever return to the area, this is the hotel we would book

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,188)

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a beautiful property with history and elegance that is unique to this location. Our room was very convenient to all that the property had to offer and the restaurant on site was delicious with a gorgeous view of the water. The spa is a must; be sure to try the Four Seasons treatment as it was amazing. You can rent bikes from the hotel and cruise along the beach on your way into town. If you are in California this Four Seasons is not to be missed. The only part of our stay that was less than ideal was that our room while convenient in location was very noisy. But true to the customer service that I love with the Four Seasons, the issue was resolved with the personal touch that has made me loyal to the brand and their properties.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Had the opportunity to do a site visit at this resort in anticipation of bring our physician retreat there in Sept 2014. I was comparing this resort to Bacara. Just for your background, we have hosted this retreat for the last four years (La Quinta, Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, The Grand Del Mar, and The Lodge at Torrey Pines) and will be looking for a place that is on the high end (4 to 5 Stars) that would still be family friendly and have great Spa and Golf available. Both of these resorts do not have their own golf course. Here is my detailed review of the Four Seasons (4S).
Location/Hotel: This hotel is located in a quite neighborhood directly across the street from the beach. It is an older style hotel (built in the 1920's) with 2 stories being the max height. The hotel's property is not terribly big. The landscaping is nice and mature. There are some beautiful and unique plants/trees on property. This is by no means a hip hotel, but more of a throw back to a different era. You get a sense of peacefulness and tranquility while on property.
Service: This hotel offered service beyond ordinary expectations and well worthy of a 5 star rating. From the moment you enter the resort, you can sense that. This doesn't mean that everything was perfect...however, if it isn't, they try to fix it. For example, when we arrived, valet parking was a mess. There was a reception that just ended, and tons of people were lining up for their cars (while we were arriving). The valet area is not terribly big. Within 10 mins of the chaos, we noticed that more and more attendants started to arrive and assist the parking situation. I asked someone about this and they mentioned that when this occurs, they send out a "all hands on deck" type of call to address the situation. Our room was not ready (we arrived at 2:30pm) and was told that we could hang out by the pool until it was ready. We changed clothes and went swimming. Our keys were brought to us and the bags sent directly to our room. Another example of the extraordinary level of service, every where I went, every one referred to me by my last name (I noticed this with other guests as well). It made our stay very personal and left a lasting impact. Kids robes and little gifts were left in our room. Housekeeping was relatively fast with our requests. I was very impressed with the service at the restaurants (more in the restaurant section). Also everyone would stop and ask if we needed assistance. The only other resorts that I have been to that has similar levels of service was Montage (Laguna Beach) and Peninsula in Bangkok. However, with that said, the resort seems to be aware of it. They know they are good and do not seem overly anxious to win over your business. For example, most hotels will automatically comp me a nights stay, spa treatment, dinner, and/or golf when I am there for a site visit. They want to show off their resort and what it has to offer. I had to persuade 4S to comp me my room (only offered small discount initially). Initially no discount on spa (later was switched to 20%). No meals comped. I believe there just wanted their resort to speak for itself. Another example, my wife found a long strand of hair in the corn beef hash at the breakfast buffet. All of the workers made a big deal about it. The manager came over and apologized profusely. He took away the rest of the corn beef hash at the buffet. Yet, no discount or reduction in the bill was noted. This is something that is usually anticipated from a well known establishment. With that said, I still think their service is first class and would not let these minor things deter me from going there.
Rooms/Amenities: We were in the deluxe room. Because our room wasn't ready, no one showed us there (no sure if that is even the norm). We round the room to be basic. All deluxe rooms have patios or balcony's. We were not in the premium category thus did not have access to the Coral Casino (more on that later). A couple of minor complaints...no coffee maker in the room (apparently can be brought to you if you want one) but there is coffee available in the lobby. There was no hotel/resort guide available to explain the hotel's offerings. This was explained to me that they wanted to save paper. The bathroom was simple but had awesome amenities (L'Occitane products). The shower had a lovely rainfall mode. There was a timer heat lamp in the bathroom that was a nice touch. Robes were standard along with slippers. The bed was a tad too soft for my liking. No ipod/iphone dock. There really nothing in the room that spoke of opulence or luxury (compared to The Grand or Rancho Valencia).
Pool/Beach: The resort only has one main pool. I was initially confused as to what the Coral Casino was. I would not include this as part of the resort (since you need a special room category to get in). With that said, the pool area was nice. The pool goes to 5 ft and was warmed to about 84 degrees. There is a soaking mineral pool with jets that was heated to 94 degrees. This was perfect for my kids (since the weather was a tad cool). They also had a real jacuzzi at 104 degrees. There was always a pool attendant to assists us. The vibe once again was really mellow. No loud music (but underwater music was cool). No pool toys or floaties. Just nice and relaxful. I got a chance to tour the Coral Casino. In my opinion, that is not a family friendly place and not worth the upgrade ($200 per room per night). It is a large olympic size pool but the clientele didn't seem to be inviting to families with kids. The beach was very accessible and clean. The kids loved playing in the sand and the rock formation.
Restaurants: We had two meals at the Bella Vista (seem my separate reviews on them). I thought the service and food were both good each time. We ate out on the patio each time and enjoyed the view and ambience. I missed the sunday brunch and was thoroughly disappointed. The breakfast buffet was good. I was a tad disappointed at the lack of options for dinner that night. Tydes (at the coral casino) was not open. I did have a small bite at the Ty Lounge and must say it was one of the best calamari dish that I have had. It was cooked to perfection and paired nicely with the arugula that accompanied it. They also had quite a selection of beverage offered at the lounge. Daniel, the bar tender was really knowledgeable. He was quite adept at making cocktails and implemented some of his own concoctions.
Spa: My wife said that this was one of the top spas that she has been to. Service and facility were both 5 Stars. She ranks this up with the spas at the Montage, Grand Del Mar, and Rancho Valencia. I utilized the men's locker room after my work out and found it to be very very nice. There was an attendant that was constantly cleaning and organizing. I loved the steam room. The lockers are complimentary and opened til 9pm. The workout room was a decent size and nice new equipment. They had gatorade in their water dispenser and scented cool towels for use.
Others: I was a tad disappointed that the kids club was not available except for Saturdays. They had a nice putting green and croquet area. The banquet facilities were nice. They had a decent number of options to have group dinners and meetings. You also have an option to have the event at the Coral Casino for a higher food and bev minimum. They view from that facility is amazing and may be one of the best in SB.
All in all, I think the Four Seasons is a wonderful property. It may not suit everyone. The clientele is higher and more upscale in feel than at Bacara. However, you will be treated really well and made to feel special.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Saysum
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The hotel is in a prime location right off the ocean. The room we stayed in was elegant from the fireplace to the rain shower in the bathroom. The staff was exceptional and I will recommend to all my friends and family. It was our anniversary during our stay and everyone made us feel extra special from the front desk to the staff in the restaurants. I would recommend this place to anyone who would want to escape for a few days of pleasure.

Room Tip: Premiere rooms are a good value and the exclusive access to the Casino is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is wonderful. I look forward to my annual conference here months before it rolls around, and I enjoyed my stay very much. The restaurant/casino/whatever across the street is obnoxiously overpriced, but the food is good and more importantly the service at the hotel is wonderful. It is just a beautiful place and by far the best place to stay in Santa Barbara.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here whilst working with Abercrombie and Fitch and I truly was amazed. Upon arrival there was muffins and Buck's Fizz and was shown to our room, all bags carried. The room was fabulous. Two king size beds so one each for me and my mum, dressing gowns, slippers, the lot. The room was immaculate and the tv etc was excellent. Although the food was massive portions, it was quite expensive. However in the mornings, there was free muffins, tea, coffee and hot chocolate on offer which were delicious!
At night a bar was open with a beautiful fire place and amazing atmosphere and was a great place to chill out. The surround area of Santa Barbara harbour was beautiful with an amazing seafood restaurant right on the harbour.
This is most definitely one of the nicest hotels I've ever been in, with friendly staff and immaculately clean with good food...what more do you want?
Would love to return someday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lottie H
Reviewed November 6, 2013

...for some, a certain well known place has been called "the happiest place on earth"...well, for me, my Happiest place in Southern California is the Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore in Santa Barbara ! It is a magical location, the best in all categories as a resort, and I look forward to
staying again soon !