“Charming Hotel / Service not so Charming”

Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just read through the reviews before starting mine. We had a similar experience in that we booked two rooms at a rate of approx. 800.00 each per night. Our rooms were not ready when we checked in at 3:45 and we were told that housekeeping was still working on the rooms. We checked into one of the rooms and our second room was still not ready after 4:00pm. My husband was so annoyed. I inquired about the beach club across the street which is part of the Biltmore and was told I would have to pay $200.00 per day to be able to use that facility after having spent more than 1600.00 a night for my two rooms. We found that insulting. I would say that this feels more like a convention hotel rather than a luxury five star four seasons property.
The cottages that we stayed in were very comfortable but the soft goods a bit shabby and in need of redoing. There was a wedding going on at the property and I had to walk around the wedding party to reach my room which felt a bit awkward. There were wedding guests everywhere which certainly takes away from any feeling of privacy even though we had rooms in the cottages.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Monica G
FSSantaBarbara, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank for posting a review of your recent stay. I apologize that your room was not ready at the guaranteed check-in time of 4 pm, and that your check-in experience was unpleasant. I am also extremely sorry for the miscommunication regarding our beach club, as it should have been made clear during the reservation process prior to your arrival that your room type did not include complimentary access. I appreciate your feedback on the rooms and also regarding the disruption you experienced due to a wedding taking place. I have followed up with the appropriate departments to address these concerns. If you would like to discuss your stay further, I would be happy to speak with you personally. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Michael Mestraud
Resort Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,201)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Booked a room for a friend's wedding here. Thank goodness for the "block" and group rates, although still very pricey. I'm no cheapskate, I don't mind paying for quality but I'm not yet that person that can book any price room and not give it a second thought. This was "treating" myself. And I'm glad I did. This is the second time I've stayed in a Four Seasons, and let me tell you, i am always made to feel like a million bucks. You cant beat the service. Friendliest, most helpful staff. A true service hotel. Food quality was fantastic. This is an older style resort so its very rustic in its feel, elegant rustic. Very clean, doesnt show its age. I booked some spa treatments and they private suites were amazing. the shower in the private bathroom alone was worth the stay! all in all, a very relaxing weekend at a wonderful resort. the grounds have lots of foliage and walkways, feels very secluded. i would love to go back on another occasion when i want a romantic retreat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2013

It was one of the most remarkable times with my children. We loved the hotel, the service, we loved it all. The location is spectacular. The absolute best in Santa Barbara. I definitely recommend the hotel to couples and families, there is so much to do and to have a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you want to stay here - and you should, it's a great hotel - you need to put the price you are paying to the back of your mind and enjoy it for what it is, a luxury resort for California's elite with great rooms ( if a little small) and superb facilities. Tennis courts are great as are the 2 pool areas one of which is across the road at the private beach club. Service is superb and really friendly - mostly college students who are capable of holding an intelligent conversation as well as the 5 star service. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

All I have to say, and this sums it up, if you are going to charge luxury rates, provide a luxury experience. I've stayed in some the best hotels in the world at similar price points, and this hotel falls short.

Room Tip: Pay $800 and you'll be "allowed" into the beach club.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NomanOdysseus

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. I would very much like to hear more details about your stay so that we can address any areas of concern. If you are open to discussing further, please contact me at your convenience. I look forward to hopefully speaking with you soon.

Michael Mestraud
Resort Manager

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We got married here in July and was amazing and perfect. Our wedding was flawless - the food, the setting, the cake (which I cared deeply about!), and our service from the hotel. We had friends and family fly in from all over and everyone commented on the hotel, the setting, and how well our events went. We are so delighted to now have a connection to the hotel and the area. (Also, the pool set over the ocean is the best thing ever. And don't miss the spa!)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Absolutely fantastic service, rooms, facilities, restaurant and setting. It doesn't get much better than this. We spent two nights there, one in the main building (no cottage available on Saturday night because of 4 weddings) and one in the cottages. The cottage was my favorite, but the main building was great as well. Ate in the restaurant one night, and it was superb. The cottage was very reasonably priced for the total experience. The main building was a bit steep, but again you got an incredible experience. And the setting is beautiful.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms were larger with the same amenities than the main building rooms, for basically ha...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family