“Nice Property but beware of the train” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara

Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Salt Lake City
“Nice Property but beware of the train”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I recently spent three nights at this property. We stayed in one of the cottages. The room was large with nice hardwood floors. The grounds are amazing and park like. Room service is super expensive. Breakfast for one was $74...although they were able to accommodate my request for French press coffee. The train is very near the property and the whistle blows at least twice every night. It did stir me from my sleep ever so slightly. I did have a massage and the spa is very nice...first class. The property is across the street from the ocean without ocean views. However, they do have a very nice beach club with a huge pool that is ocean side.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank bgc11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

As a meeting professional I tend to be a perfectionist when traveling on my own and with my clients. The Four Seasons Santa Barbara was fantastic and my entire group gave great feedback regarding their stay. The food was excellent, the staff five star and the room was amazing and comfortable. Btw, the spa measured up to their top tier rating from travel and leisure magazine. Would highly recommend for a weekend getaway especially if you are expecting great experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Altadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is so beautiful. The staff are fantastic and make you feel special, I even received coffee in bed and a birthday cake in my room! And the grounds....oh my! What a fabulous birthday getaway. I will definately be coming back to stay for my husbands birthday in November. Worth the $'s. Loved it!

Room Tip: Room 705 has an ocean view that is fantastic!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Caifornia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I arrived at this hotel after making reservations under the American Express Fine Hotels Program. Under that program the hotel room is suppose to be ready by four o'clock. We arrived around 4:20 and were told that the room was not ready, and that we had to wait in the lobby for the room. I asked to speak to the manager due to the guarantee and eventually a Guest Relations Manager showed up.

This fellow took the same position, that it was just too bad for us, and did nothing to accomodate us. Further, while waiting in the lobby, it was apparent that the hotel did not care to do regular cleaning of the lobby. It was filthy.

When our room was finally ready we were escorted to the room and given two keys. Thankfully we had two keys, since one did not work. When I took the non-working key back to the front desk to get it replaced, I was asked what I did to make it fail. I really don't enjoy being accused of wrongdoing, and I have no idea what I could have done. What made matters worse was after they redid the key and gave it back to me, it immediately failed again.

We ended up in a room near the pool, which I strongly dislike due to the noise from the pool. However, since we apparently had the last room from our category available there was nothing that we could do except put up with the noise.

The next day we had breakfast at the hotel. It wasn't too bad, except that I nearly choked on the $80 price for the two of us. If I were in New York City I could expect that, not here in California. Plus, the restaurant is open to the air and is filled with birds flying in and eating the crumbs. We had to reject two tables because the chairs were "soiled" by the birds and no one had cleaned the seats.

I was just shocked by what I felt was the poor maintenance and bad management of this hotel. Never again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank GreatBearCaifornia
FSSantaBarbara, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing these comments regarding your recent stay. I'm extremely sorry to hear of the inconveniences you encountered and want to personally apologize if you felt that any of our staff were being accusatory toward you in any way. I'm disappointed to hear about the state of our lobby as we take pride in maintaining the Resort. As for our feathered friends at Bella Vista, they are a challenge of our natural surroundings and we are always looking at more practical ways to cope with their presence. However, you should not have been shown to unclean tables. I really appreciate the feedback on your entire experience and will follow up with our staff with regard to each incident in our efforts to continuously improve. Again, I apologize and welcome speaking with you in more detail. Please feel free to contact me.

Michael Mestraud
Resort Manager
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is lovely - has an old world charm, but modern amenities.
Everyone is friendly and helpful. My room was just a standard room, but it was very comfortable, and it had it's own private patio. They've done a great job with the landscaping, so you feel it's your own private space.
The food was great too - breakfast was wonderful, and the dinner was amazing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent our 20th anniversary here last weekend and had the finest experience one could hope for. Their staff is first class, the grounds are exquisite and are brilliantly kept. The rooms are traditional with the architecture and are so warm and inviting. The resort is in a very peaceful location and the train was a non issue for us. The beach club was the perfect spot for sunny afternoons and an amazing place to relax. This hotel have us the trip of a lifetime and made a very special day weekend for us absolutely perfect. I can't say enough great things about the Four Seasons Biltmore, thank you for everything.

• Stayed April 2013
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This property was disappointing. Why?

* The 25 minute wait to leave the car with the valet.
* The 25 minute line, yes a line, of people ahead of us checking-in to the hotel.
* The noisy rooms where people could see inside, and you could easily hear the conversations of your neighbors and those outdoors.
* The loud, drunk guy at the pool who kept getting served bottles of champagne. He yelled to his boss, "you'll probably fire me on Monday when you see this expense report." Charming.
* The drunk guy became even more engaging when he pulled-out his stereo speakers and attached them to his laptop and started streaming Pandora for everyone poolside to "enjoy."
* And finally the drunk guy decided he needed to start screaming into his cell-phone, over the music he was playing. Very classy set-up, Four Seasons.

This property is OK, if you want to stay in retread historical "grandeur" with the service level of maybe a Marriott Courtyard. (no offense to Marriott Courtyard). If you're seeking a five star resort go elsewhere -- far away.

p.s. Hotel Management -- if your staff apologizes for the delays because they know you sold a lot of rooms for the weekend, perhaps YOU should know enough to staff the valet and front desk with more than one employee. And thanks for keeping the pool so classy. Fail.

Room Tip: Hard to say -- you have an active train track on one side -- the horns are loud, the busy motor cour...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank DLX812
FSSantaBarbara, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing you comments regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that your experience was so disappointing and am very sorry to hear of the inconveniences you had at check-in. We appreciate the feedback and please know that I have followed up with those areas involved in our efforts to continuously improve. Additionally, I'm sorry that another resort guest further disrupted your time here. It's particularly upsetting to hear given the usually peaceful and relaxing atmosphere of the resort. I would like the opportunity to discuss further with you personally, please feel free to reach out to me directly anytime.

Michael Mestraud