“Well Worth It” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Medina, Ohio
“Well Worth It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

After reading numerous reviews about being nickle and dimed, dated-over the hill rooms, being overly priced, etc I had second thoughts before booking our room. But I always wanted to stay at this resort (a bucket list kind of thing) and I am so glad I did.
First the bad ---
Nickle and dimed? $13 a day to park weither or not you self-park, $10 a day for wi-fi that was very slow with a $12 a day upgrade available. All on top of $600 plus per night.
My response is that its no big deal. This place is truly an archetectural gem. And the gardens are spectacular. The labor to maintain all of this plus the taxes on such a large swath of beachfront real estate in one of America's most prestigious neighborhoods justifies the pricing.

The other bad involved two situations. The first was when we booked on line, there was a deal for a free day when you purchased X number of days. I held off on booking the room until I could talk it over with my wife who was on the road. I went to book the following day and the deal was gone....you snooze, you loose. So, I found that there was by then a deal with a hundred dollar a day voucher for food, spa, golf etc. Great. I wait to talk to my wife and this time instead of waiting until the next day, I go on-line that same evening. Bam! That deal is gone!?! We decided to book any way with one less day figuring that we better book before the base rates went up too. That done, I called the hotel the next day and explained my plight to a manager. He explained that the promos were all computer driven by bookings and apologised. He offered an upgrade to a premium room and I was quite grateful.
The second bad event was when we had the hotel book a time for a local tour. We requested 10am and when we arrived we were told that we were booked for the 2pm tour. Fortunately, we were able to persuade the kind tour folks to squeeze us in on the 10am tour so all worked out fine. Then my wife encountered a similar mishap booking time at the spa. They cut her massage time by a half hour and she expressed her disappointment telling the ladies in the spa that she normally wouldn't complain but that it was our second such incident. They immediately took $50 off her bill.
In short, the staff is empowered to do what is reasonably necessary to satisfy the customers. My wife and I are in sales where we both live and die by our schedules, so we are comfortable in saying that we did not make the errors from our end. Bottom line...they did everything possible to remedy these issues and we were pleased.
The good ---
Walking to our room from the parking lot in this maze of a place, we were fighting a sudden rain and a directional challange. A hotel employee....not a suit, but probably someone who is one of the lowest and least compensated employees immediated offered us his umbrella and personally walked us to our building. No one was looking, he could have passed us right by, but he didn't. That act alone has sold us on Four Seasons properties. After a year of being beaten up and down by customers, staying at a place that caters to us is welcome balm for these two tired road warriers.
Our room was very nice with a fireplace (I strongly reccommend) and a second floor view that was nearly perfect short of facing the ocean. Again, my thanks to the manager who helped us on that one.
The TV is an over-size flat screen. The closet is a walk-in changing room and the tile floored bath with rain shower showerhead was large and well layed out.
The room decor is California Mission / Best of Pottery Barn. Very, very nice.
We left happy about our wonderful stay in this paradise of a resort but so sad to leave it.
Would we go back? Yes.
Is it worth full price? Yes. The attentive staff, the beach location, the fabulous grounds, the prestigious and convenient location all make this hotel a winner. The fact that it is a historical gem that has aged like a fine wine makes it even better.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor of the 400 building so you can depart you room down iconic spiral ste...
5 Thank William Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Bunbury WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

A stunning hotel in a gorgeous location. A very peaceful and relaxing stay. Gardens are beautiful too. The breakfast outside was wonderful. The concierge was outstanding , they gave us accurate information on the area and changed a booking for us we had made at Hearst Castle.

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful, lotsof space to move. Bathroom is excellent a separate shower and a huge bathtu...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

From the moment we drove up to the front of the hotel to moment we left after check out it was an amazing experince. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Very good food. Room is awesome.

Room Tip: Be careful to 1st floor rooms. Sometimes the rooms in the 2nd floor could be noisy.
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank PSMendes
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Great hotel and facilities. Really friendly and attentive staff. Excellent food. Wonderful location in Montecito on the beach. Really couldn't fault anything. I attended my sister's birthday celebrations here over four days. Only one point let the hotel down. My sister arranged for a lunch for 30 in the garden and it was very good except for the amount of food provided - no-one got seconds from the buffet - and the need to keep asking the staff to supply wine. No wine was served until we had almost all finished our meals and, although repeatedly asked by my sister to keep the wine flowing throughout the lunch, hardly anyone got more than one glass! Still, we went to the bar afterwards and had a great time. One person to mention is Brad the barman - really excellent guy. However, this hotel does the worst martinis ever. Stick to G&T!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed here for the first time for a business conference. Everything was just superb from check in to check out!
I'll plan on going back for a vacation trip and wil surely recommend this to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

From the moment we drove up to the front of the hotel to moment we left after check out it was an amazing experince. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The spa is amazing. The pool on the hotel grounds is small so if you want a pool go across the street to the beach club that the hotel owns. That pool is huge with a great diving board and access to the beach. The poolside service is really nice. (I loved the smoothies.)

Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a place where every employee wants the guests to have a good time. We stayed a week and did it all. The Saps, the Yoga, the pools were fabulous. Many times I asked our happy workers if they were enjoying themselves. Without exception they were. The food all around was a dream come true. THe in hotel dining was a little too adult but the Coral Cafe was perfect for my daughter and rooom service provided the best service ever. Everyone we met wanted to help. The other guests were also having a great time so there was a joyful energy in the whole place. Having the ocean a short walk was a pleasure. There are bicycles available and trails to visit along the shore. We biked to the warf and later had a great meal.
I cannot say enough good things about our stay. We are looking forward to a return someday.

Room Tip: THere are rooms for pets but they are not as ice. We left our pet home when we learned that the pet...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family