“very fun way to spend time in santa barbara!”
Review of Santa Barbara Safaris - CLOSED

Santa Barbara Safaris
More attraction details
Owner description: Join wildlife photographer and safari guide Charles Aljian on an off-road safari adventure through the mountains of Santa Barbara for a unique experience into the amazing beauty and scenery of the Los Padres National Forest. Majestic California sunsets and panoramic views of the Santa Ynez Valley and Pacific Ocean, ancient Chumash Indian cave paintings, nature walks and diverse ecosystems of plants, trees and wildlife are all part of the Santa Barbara Safaris experience. Santa Barbara Safaris is the only tour company locally in Santa Barbara to offer private excursions into our remote back country by air-conditioned 6-passenger 4WD SUV. Photography advice will be provided by Charles who is a graduate of Brooks Institute of Photography -so bring your camera to make the most of this rare opportunity!
Carlsbad, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“very fun way to spend time in santa barbara!”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

After hearing good things, my best friend and I decided to go on a SB safari. Chuck, the tour guide, picked us up from our hotel. He was on time, gave a friendly greeting, and we already felt like we would be in good hands. He had a beautiful car, a pretty new land rover—very comfortable. Chuck was enthusiastic, and seemed to know the area very well. He was even able to give us some good recommendations for authentic SB restaurants. Our first stop was a painted cave. The art in the cave is about 2000 years old! Chuck knew all about it- the materials used, which Indians painted them, what they were for, etc etc. It’s the little details like this that makes an experience memorable. Next we went up the road and passed some horses. We took a couple breaks to take pictures and have snacks (provided by Chuck). The view was amazing!!! One side was a view of the beautiful ocean, and the other was of the mountains and Lake Cachuma. At one point we went into this area and did some off roading. Good thing we were in a land rover – that car took it so well! Also, I should mention that we saw some wildlife on our trip. We saw some deer, foxes, quail, lizards, etc (one previous trip even saw a bear!). When we got to the top we had some champagne and white wine (he has a whole cooler of drinks and snacks to choose from), and were just in time to see a gorgeous sunset. On our way back down the mountain we saw some more wildlife, and then Chuck drove us back to our hotel. My friend and I had a great time and would definitely recommend SB safaris to anyone coming to Santa Barbara. Chuck is so personable and fun, he’ll really make sure you have a great time. He is really flexible to people’s needs (for instance he can pick you up anytime you want for your safari, even if you’re coming from LAX). The safari seems like it would be great for families, couples, or even friends.

3 Thank septemberwahine

santa barbara
“OMG So Awesome!!!”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My husband, teenagers and I took this trip to the majestic mountains of Santa Barbara. Normally this isn't something we would do but we were feeling adventerous and looking for something new to do so we went for it. It was so wonderful, the scenic views were breathtaking. The drinks and snacks were a nice touch, but the lavender towels were really great! Our Guide Chuck was very knowledgeable and we highly recommend this trip to any couple or family. What great fun!!! Thank you Chuck. See you next year!

tianapat
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AMAZING!!!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

You do not realize how amazing Santa Barbara is until you take this tour!! Charles is a fabulous guide and takes you into the hills to see all the amazing sights of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez Valley. The views are so incredible- impossible to even put into words! He can customize the tour for anyone-- young, old, honeymooners...so many options! WE EVEN SAW A BEAR!!! HIGHLY RECOMENDED!

1 Thank tianapat
Orange County, CA
“Great Excursion, Great Views, Great Fun”
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I took my wife up on a sunset tour and it was a blast. My wife is not fond of heights or off roading, but she enjoyed the trip and would do it again (if she can do it, anyone can). I thought it was an amazing trip. Chuck is a very likable guy and truly enjoys the excursions. He picked us up at our hotel in a very nice Land Rover and we started our Journey. The off road part was pretty scary-narrrow, bumpy and steeps drops on both sides. The views were amazing-valleys on the right and the ocean to the left. We reached the top in time to watch a perfect sunset. Chuck is a professional photographer and snapped a couple of nice pics for us- all part of the package. We didn't see any lions, tigers, or giraffes (didn't really expect to, but it is called a "Safari"), but we did see a baby wolf and lots of cool birds. I would recommend this trip for anyone that is looking for something different.

Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very Scenic!!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

My husband and I spent the weekend in Santa Barbara and went on the “Off-Road Nature Safari” with Charles as our guide. We departed very early and watched the sunrise from mountains above SB, a truly awesome sight!! We then went behind the mountains back into the Santa Ynez valley where we had a picnic lunch, saw many deer, and soaked in the hot springs. We have been coming to SB for years and were pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed the safari, definitely recommend to anyone.

2 Thank michelekw