“Captain's Cottage is great”
other traveler has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Cottage -
3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Sleeps 6
Santa Barbara, California

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 13 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Any
LuvIrelan...
Montana
“Captain's Cottage is great”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

For our first trip to Santa Barbara, we stayed at the Captain's Cottage for a week this summer and loved it. The house is not for folks who can't do stairs; but if you can, it is oh so worth it. The master suite in the upper level was amazing. Tried to figure out how to bring it home with me, but alas, no luck, haha. The house was stocked with essential food and bath products when we arrived. And not just basic stuff, but really nice products. Francesca had a yummy pan of brownies on the counter when we arrived, coffee beans on the counter, food in the fridge and fresh flowers throughout the house. Those are the touches that I love while on vacation. Summerland is a neat little community, but not great for walking as the hills are steep. Also, the traffic noise from Hwy 101 is noticeable, especially for us coming from a very quiet town. That said, I would rent this cottage again in a heart beat. Loved it and all the Santa Barbara area.

Traveling group: Family
Dec 5, 2013
It is always a great pleasure to hear from our guests and see what made their trip so successful. We are extraordinarily lucky to live in one of the best places on earth and thrilled to share that experience with others. Whether it is our fantastic ocean views, stunning cottages or laid-back California ambiance, everything adds up to a great vacation. So glad you could come to visit and looking forward to your return. Until then, safe travels....Francesca....Santa Barbara Cottages.com
ALOHAX5
Orange County, Ca
“The name Paradise Cottage says it all!”
Reviewed March 18, 2011 for a stay in March 2011
person found this review helpful

Summerland- a beautiful quaint beach town that had amazing little cafe's to eat: Luna Cafe- amazing food, specialty coffees and teas. YUMMY! Stacky's Seaside- great breakfast! Paradise Cottage- we drove up and weren't sure where the front door was... technically its down the driveway and inside the gate... WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SURPRISE! YARD-The wrap around yard is absolutely perfect. An amazing view of the beach with a clean, comfortable, homey feel. The seating was wonderful outside with the lounge chairs being cozy enough to sleep on! My bulldogs had so much fun playing with their toys and enjoying the weather on the brick pavement and the grassy area. I was able to get beautiful pics of my dogs with the lovely foliage and flowers in the yard. The washer /dryer were very convenient and clean!KITCHEN- supplied with everything! From the yummiest coffee to tongs for the BBQ outside! Tons of knives and wine glasses too! The sweetest fruits and heart shaped brownie was a great surprise! LIVING AREA- picture perfect. You know a place is clean when the white couches are WHITE! Wow! Beautiful views and a great breeze with the windows open. UPSTAIRS MASTER- Cottage style perfection! Extremely comfortable bed. Again, white comforter was CLEAN! Owners even provided robes! I WAS IN HEAVEN! 2ND UPSTAIRS ROOM- two singles, done again, to perfection, but we did not use. UPSTAIRS BATHROOM- CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! Great size, even had cotton balls, q-tips and Bath& Bodyworks lotion! Clean white towels and fully stocked. The house was filled with fresh cut flowers and greenery. Absolutely beautiful. DOWNSTAIRS BEDROOM- Comfortable King bed, perfectly done in a beautiful motif. A great room with a homey feel. Small second bathroom attached, very cute, very clean and just a perfect second bathroom! I know I am missing a ton of things I want to say I loved about this place but the best compliment I can give is that my family and I would LOVE to come back... in fact, we would LOVE to live there! The beach down the road was beautiful and even had a couple of horses being ridden on it. Picture perfect vacation all around. LOVED Francesca and LOVED Paradise Cottage. Thank you! Oh! And there is even a baby gate, baby pack-n-play, vaccuum and hangers!

Dec 5, 2013
Wow, you have said it all! Many thanks for coming to visit and taking the time to share your experience at Jasmine Cottage. I am thrilled to read your review, but more importantly to hear that you had such a great time. Looking forward to welcoming you back. Francesca
RobertSeg...
Santa Monica, California
“Paradise cottage is so much better than a Hotel”
Reviewed January 8, 2011 for a stay in January 2011

We are still savoring our experience in Paradise cottage, which we visited for the first time. We have stayed at your neighboring Jasmine cottage many times. We couldn't imagine anything could be better than Jasmine, but Paradise was a wonderful surprise -- an inviting indoor / outdoor floor plan and every bit as charming, cozy and spotless. Views of both sunrise & sunset. Every time we visit one of your cottages we make new discoveries. We usually divide our time between walking on the amazing beach, exploring Summerland and hanging out in the cottage. My wife enjoys cooking and she has all the amenities of a gourmet kitchen at her fingertips. I'm a computer buff and I really appreciate the high-speed Wi-Fi network you've installed. Thanks again for the incredible care that you put into your properties.

Jan 10, 2011
Dear Robert,
Thank you so much for your kind words and your many visits. Since I have also traveled with my job with the National Geographic, I know what it is like to be on the road and to stay in hotels. A house offers so much more, in terms of space and convenience. It is so nice to be able to make a cup of coffee or snack whenever you want. And, also to have everything else you need, including wonderful views of the ocean, the intimate charm of a small village and our friendly beach all within walking distance.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
BestRenta...
Santa Barbara, California
“Paradise in Santa Barbara”
Reviewed January 3, 2011 for a stay in December 2010
people found this review helpful

The service was fantastic. The accommodations were superb. The place was spotless, exceedingly well stocked, spacious, comfortable, friendly, and truly a wonderful place to stay. Paradise Cottage has become a family tradition and we have stayed here many times. I am a neat nic and the place is immaculately clean. We are never disappointed and plan to come again in 2011!!

Traveling group: Extended Family
Jan 5, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others -- we are delighted that you found everything that you needed and that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on another visit and to maintaining the very highest of standards at our magical home.

All the best for a very Happy New Year!
norcalite
Silicon Valley, CA
“Property has rats & owner tries to illegally pass on Paypal surcharge fees!”
Reviewed June 19, 2010 for a stay in June 2010
people found this review helpful

We rented the Paradise cottage on Shelby St in Summerland, CA for 4 nights. Jasmine cottage is on the same lot. There were rats running around on the property.

On the first night we were there, my husband noticed something moving in the bushes near the outdr dining table across fr the bbq grill. He thought it was a cat. He went back to investigate later b/c he could still hear something causing movement & saw a huge rat trap. The owner expects renters to throw household garbage into the trash bins on the side of the driveway. I could not find the bins so my husband went out to find them. They were concealed nicely from the public eye but when my husband opened one of the gates, he discovered rat poop all over the trash bins & surrounding area.

The morning of our second day, we discovered the cottage gate on the Shelby St side was open & trash was left on the ground in front of it. We wondered if someone might have come into the property during the night & felt uncomfortable since there was no way to lock the gate. I contacted the owner & told him what happened. There were also two outside lights that were not working which I brought to his attention. He didn't seem concerned in the least & told me that I could always purchase a piece of rope to secure the gate! The other owner called me back & told me that Summerland had a reputation for being safe. It still did not make us feel comfortable & we were a little annoyed that neither of the owners showed up to at least bring us a lock for the gate. That night I threw out a bag of garbage & there was rat poop everywhere.

On the third night, I was standing by the other cottage gate leading to the front entry stairs off the driveway. Something ran from under the gate right past my feet. At first, I thought it was a cat, then when I saw the tail, I realized it was a pretty huge rat! I did not bring it up w/the owner until we left the property. She acted like it was no big deal & responded by saying "I don't know what your conditions are like, ALL of CA has rats!" I told her that she must have known that there was rats on the property b/c she had a huge rat trap in the bushes & asked her why she did not mention it to us before we rented (?!). She ignored the question. I then told her that she put us in danger of possibly getting bitten by having to take trash out to the bins on the driveway & that it is unhealthy, not to mention unsanitary, to have rats running around a vacation rental property. We would have liked the chance to decide whether or not to rent a cottage property w/rats!!!

Prior to arrival, the owner collects all charges & gave us two options to pay the rental fee, rental tax, $150 cleaning fee, & $300 refundable damage fee. We chose to pay w/a Mastercard. The owner uses Paypal for credit card transactions. I told her that I was hesitant about using Paypal & she said it would be fast/easy, especially since she covered all Paypal surcharge fees. I went through w/the transaction. On the morning of our departure, I called the owner & she said that I would receive my $300 refundable damage fee back MINUS the Paypal surcharge. I was quite annoyed & decided to wait for her to send the refund. She charged me for the Paypal surcharge. When a merchant accepts a Mastercard, it is illegal to charge a customer for surcharge fees! I contacted both Paypal & Mastercard to make sure I was in the right to demand that the owner promptly pay me back the full $300 damage deposit as stated in the contract. She contacted me by phone after I sent her an email & she replied back by email. She was incredibly rude on the phone & acted like I had done something wrong! I have the feeling that she has done this before & needs to understand the rules of using Paypal/accepting Mastercard. I am still waiting for my total $300 damage deposit refund.

One last mention of two amenities the owner lists for the Paradise cottage: the roof of the Jasmine cottage blocks out a lot of the ocean view. The view was adequate, not spectacular. Next to the Jasmine cottage on the next property is a home that overlooks the entire yard of the Paradise cottage. Across the street is another home that has a complete view into to rest of the Paradise cottage yard. The yard is not totally private.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Dec 26, 2010
We have been in business for almost 10 years and as such have had wonderful guests visit us over and over again. It is always our honor and pleasure to welcome guests to our homes and we do everything possible to keep them in meticulous condition, because we love our homes.

I am extremely sorry that this guest left unhappy and subsequently posted this review. I also realize that once posted, it can never be removed which is very unfortunate as we have had hundreds of happy guests, who have returned many times. And, we have no opportunity to counter this review other than to say that it is not correct.

If you are reading this response, I hope you will take a second to check out the other reviews that have been posted that will contradict what had been said here.

We look forward to welcoming you to Santa Barbara and Summerland.

Francesca and John
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing