“Dont get on this boat!”

Sunset Kidd Sailing Cruises & Whale Watching
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1987, Sunset Kidd's offers Sailing Cruises along the Beautiful Santa Barbara Coastline. Based upon a love of sailing, this is not a typical tourist ride! We turn the engine off and showcase our love for the sport. Yes, it's wind in the sails and water lapping up against the boat... that's what we offer. This is NOT a narrated "tourist" type of ride, where the engine stays on! If you're a sailor, then we invite you to participate in the handling of our beautiful 41 foot sailing ketch. Our thoughts: People come to Santa Barbara to get away from the crowds... so we are thinking about heading out onto the Pacific Ocean... packing 49 passengers or more on a sailboat is like.... STAYING IN LOS ANGELES! Sunset Kidd's maximum passenger load is only 15 passengers.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking
ks
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dont get on this boat!”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

If you type in "whale watching Santa Barbara" on Google, Sunset Kidd comes up. I spoke with a rep on our hopes to see wildlife, he assures me that you always see dolphins. Their website has a listing of all the wild life sightings which appear to be every day; they in fact are rare. This should be a "Coastal Sailing Tour," not listed under whale watching!!! The crew are ok (First man Nick should be the owner, very nice guy) but keep to themselves. The so called "captain" was a stone faced quiet guy who came 20 mins late toting his lunch that he spent the next 20 eating while Nick did all the work. The rest of the time he spent on his cell, then they both talked about girlfriends etc. Had to leave the cabin as to not hear it. Because my children were along, I hoped for a little educational dialogue but got none. We hoped the crew would spend a little time looking for the wildlife so that we might view them but they did not. Because of all this, I asked for my $ back. The manager is a complete jerk! After I asked for a refund for being misled to believe that this was a wildlife tour, he accused me of getting the goods than wanting my money back after the fact because I didn't ask the captain to turn the boat around for me! He compared it to getting on the wrong airplane, "surely you would ask the pilot to turn the airplane around if you were going to the wrong location!" AHHHHH!!!! Totally insane! So please, only take this trip if you are looking for a cheap trip from one shore to another. Not worth it!

1 Thank sophiaKs

Northridge,CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Great Sailing Experience”
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We recently took friends to Santa Barbara for their anniversary, and wanted to do something special. We decided on an afternoon sail aboard the Sunset Kidd. It was a great afternoon. The captain, as well as the first mate Ryan, were very accommodating, welcoming and informative.

The Sunset Kidd is a 41 ft sailboat that has afternoon sails as well as sunset sails. We took the afternoon sail, and had a very memorable experience. They limit the capacity to 18 so it is never a crowded experience, but will sail with a minimum of 4 passengers.

The sailing was smooth, and yet exhilirating. Though there was a bit of fog off shore, we were only in it for a brief time and the captain made sure to get us back into the beautiful sunshine. The views of the coastline were great.

It was our first experience about the Sunset Kidd, but will definitely not be the last. It will most definitely be repeated on our visits to Santa Barbara. We intend to go whale watching aboard the Sunset Kidd in the spring.