“Great place”

Ranked #36 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Papamoa, New Zealand
“Great place”
Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 1 night on our travel, very freindly guy on the desk giving us plenty of info, took his advice and went to the deli store which has everything and the beach cafe for a good breakfast, pool was warm 30C (86F) great location and would stay here again and highly recommend Blue Sands

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband & I booked last minute while on the road & we got lucky! This small motel offers the perfect combination of price, location, cleanliness, comfy beds/pillows, free parking & WIFI! It is walking distance to downtown and Stearns Wharf (over a mile but if you exercise at all it's no big deal) and there is a $.25 trolley that runs to all the action, very close to the beach & there is a market 1/2 block too! We stayed in Room #3 w/ 2 queen beds and a kitchen, it was great! Updated bath & kitchen (no fireplace) and the laminate floors are a huge plus in providing a clean atmosphere. You can hear your neighbors (a little bit) but they have quiet time starting at 10pm so we didn't have any issues w/ noise & we were on the bottom floor, I don't think it's realistic to think in an 11 room motel you wouldn't hear some type of noise, especially for properties that are a little older...even in a house you hear people running water and walking around. There is no restaurant but it isn't a problem since you will find more than enough choices close by, including a beach front cafe (cheap) and several hotels. We will definitely be returning to explore SB with more time and staying at the Blue Sands. For the money (we paid $115 per night) I don't think you can get a better place to stay, I've stayed in dives and paid more money to be in the right location -- this place is a steal! I hope they don't raise their rates because all of the properties around them are higher!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheGlimmerTwins
Hesperia, California
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My King fireplace room had a comfy bed, gas fireplace, nice big windows, a partial view of the ocean, free wi-fi that worked well, fridge, microwave, and even a wine chiller! There is a little wear and tear if you look closely, but it is all cosmetic. Yes you will hear the train periodically and see homeless folks in the nearby parks, but that is true for any of the east beach hotels. The Blue Sands has a good rate compared to other properties by the beach, and I did look around. I was in town for a conference and chose not to stay at the much more pricey beach location hotel that hosted the conference, even though my company was paying. I was happy with my choice and will stay here again next year.

Room Tip: K Fireplace Rm #10 was very nice and has a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Charlene J
imperial beach,ca
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We reserved two rooms: 1 for my husband, me, and our 2 dogs, and a 2nd room for mom and her dog. We were a bit upset to learn at check-in that they had changed their policy about being able to leave our pets in the room while we went out. We had chosen this particular motel for that very reason! Our dogs are with us all the time, but we wanted to be able to go out to eat without having to worry about them. Luckily, it turned out not to be a problem as it wasn't too difficult to have the dogs stay in the car while we ate (although in the summer that wouldn't be possible because of the heat).

Our room (#1) was downstairs. It offered a king size bed, small sitting table with two chairs, free wifi, nice although small kitchen, a good size bathroom (but small shower), and an open closet with two cubbies above for storage. There weren't any dressers or drawers to put our clothes in though. The flooring is a laminate wood. Easy to clean, especially with dogs. The linens aren't fancy, but sufficient. I do have to complain about the smell of the towels. Have you ever left a load in the washer a little too long and by the time you get to it it has that odor? Almost mold but not quite? That's what the bathroom towels smelled like. I asked my mom, and she said hers had a similar smell. Ick. The kitchen has an apartment size fridge and gas stove. I could definitely see how that would be convenient for families. I'm on vacation so cooking and washing isn't in my schedule.

Our mom's room (#4) also offered a king sized bed and kitchen, but hers had the added bonus of a corner fireplace and large, walk-in shower. The toilet's are low height which she had some difficulty with, but being able to walk into the shower was wonderful. Her room didn't have a sitting table in the room itself, but there was a pub table in the kitchen with two tall chairs. The front of her room didn't have a window (our's did), but the side of it did. It opens to a private little green space. She could have her curtains and windows open without anyone being able to look it to the room, but not having a window in the front made the room seem a little darker than ours.

There's a large park right across the street from the motel which made walking our dogs easy. The beach is literally right across the street. The weekend we were there it was cool and rainy so we didn't have much reason to go to the beach, but having the park right there was wonderful.

The motel offers free movies which we used one night. We were surprised at the size of their library.

The walls are a bit thin. We could hear our neighbours using their toilet and shower quite regularly. Our mom complained about the noise of the upstairs guests. Other guests had dogs as well but no one was overly barky or disruptive.

We actually enjoyed that the motel was a little bit outside of State St/downtown. It's close enough to find everything we needed, even places on State St., within 5-10 minutes.

If staying in Santa Barbara, we recommed eating at Esau's Cafe at 721 Chapala St. My goodness, their breakfasts are fantastic! For a special dinner, try The Palace Grill on Coto. Great food, service, and atmosphere. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lewseal
Helsinki
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This welcoming motel is right next to the beautiful beach of Santa Barbara. Nice rooms and free parking and wifi makes it a reasonably good overnight stay. Couple of minor things to consider though, when choosing your motel. It's pretty far from the shops and restaurants of the city center. The dog friendliness of the motel seems to be a big deal to a number of people here, but there are downside to that, too. My daughter is allergic to dogs and her bed sheets had black dog hair all over them, which was very uncomfortable and downright hygienic issue. Loved the easy access to the beach, but kind of expected more bang for the buck.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jarimalla
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We had a "partial beach view" room overlooking a small ball park and a seemingly endless parade of palm trees. The room was well-equipped, the pool area was sheltered for winter ray-catching, and a wonderfull little grocery store half a block away provided all our breakfast and snacking needs. For our first visit to Santa Barbara we were more than satisfied, but in future might choose somewhere a bit closer to downtown so as not to have to use the car all the time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Decided I needed a break took my dog & headed to Blue Sands, small motel with great location, friendly staff, clean rooms. Lots of "little touches" that make it a special place. Area to sit outside & enjoy the view and fresh air. Spent lots of time walking the beach also a park right across the street. Walked to Sterns wharf. Did not get back in car until time to leave. I am already checking my calendar to see when I can go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo