“Worst Hotel Ever!”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #51 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed October 1, 2006

This hotel was the worst hotel I have ever experienced. The sink's faucet fell off the first time I used it. There were sweat or some kind of stains on the chair in the room. There was graffiti on the lamp shade. The check out time was written in sharpie on the back of the door. I sound like I am exaggerating, but this was all real. Do not waste your money at this hotel.

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank chare

Reviewed September 2, 2006

Got in very late after a long drive. There were no vacancies anywhere else. I guess that should have explained it. I got "the last room" with a queen for me, my wife and three year old. As one of the other reviews states, there was a huge hole in the wall with a second fridge trying to cover it. I could literally hear the bugs crawling around in the hole and munching. The carpet was so dirty I put my son on the bed and never let him get down. The wife and I wore flippers the whole time. After ripping off the comforter to set the kid down, we pulled the sheets back and there were dirty smashed booger filled tissues between the "clean" sheets along with the occasional private area curly hair.

Well what would you do after driving from Phoenix and getting in at 1:30am? We had a down throw and we all shared it along with our own pillows thankfully. There were noisy low lifes in and out all night. The only way to deal with the extreme urine odor was to leave the windows open, this is not something I would suggest to most people but I always carry a handgun in my luggage (yes even in California). We got up only five hours later of horrible sleep and bailed. I ripped the owner a new one and asked for my money back or a discount but he couldn't care any less. I am contesting the charges to American Express just for the point of it!
Honestly people, it was so bad I am buying a travel trailer so I never make that mistake again.

Please heed the warnings! I wouldn't let my dogs sleep on this motels floor!

• Stayed: August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Carsdad
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Me and my fiance decided to take a trip for our anniversary. We wanted it to be relaxing so we planned to take the amtrak train. So prior to booking the hotel I wanted to make sure it was in reasonable walking distance. I looked online for hotels most of them already booked then I came across the Hacienda It looked ok and it was priced great. I called the front desk and was told it was one mile from the train station. Well once we arived at the train station 3000 blocks later after a trolly and a bus ride I called to get cross streets was told the wrong street so we had to walk three streets back. We stood infront of the motel my fiance laughing and me crying. Well we thought can't judge a book by it's cover. So scared and disapointed we walked in to a DUMP. The carpet black, dust on the walls dirty bathroom, creaking ceilling, four foot tall shower, the worst smell ever, bugs in the frig, dirty towels, thin sheets, no air, windows that wouldn't lock. Thank god I brought flip flops because I never took them off even in the shower. Pretty much I would never stay again even if it was free.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bapey
Reviewed August 16, 2006

My husband and I went on line to find a hotel/motel to stay at since we were going to be in Santa Barbara for a wedding. I should have checked out the reviews, as I have in the past, but I did not.I saw a picture of the motel on the Internet and it also advertiesed it had internet access......so I thought.it has to be decent! On arrival, the floors were dirty, carpet filthy. I had flip flops thank goodness, but husband did not. We asked to be changed to a new room because there was a huge hole in the wall. The owner said it was for a new AC and most of the rooms had a hole. They covered it up with a refrgerator. So now we are staying in a dump with TWO refirgerators in the room. We had little time to spare before the wedding, so we changed and left. We did leave our car at the secure restaurant site (at the wedding) for fear of vandalism at this place. Several of the guests were smoking "something", one young man I almost called 911emergency on due to his incoherent state. They actually charged us $120.00 a night. We almost left at 0300 we woke up due to the filth. I do not recommend this to anyone!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank rnsail
A TripAdvisor Member
SF, California
Reviewed March 12, 2006

I had read the bad reviews on this site about the Hacienda Motel, but decided to try it anyway. The website looked ok and I was in need of somewhere cheap to stay. When I got there I kept in mind all the bad things I had read about the place and made sure to check out everything right away.

The room was decent, clean but not great. I saw no major flaws. The furniture looked like it was just thrown in there. The cabinet for the tv was crooked and slightly in front of the mirror, the lamp shades were all slanted, and one had no bulb.

The bed was not good. Very uncomfortable both of us had sore backs in the morning. Although the bedding seemed to be very clean and fairy new.

The bathroom was far below average. The floor was pretty dirty around the perimeter, the soap too small, and no shampoo which was a bummer. The water pressure was terrible and the temperature was difficult to adjust. I seemed to get only very hot or very cold. Nice big mirror and cabinet space to put my things.

Only major problem was that our power went out twice. Once when we used the microwave and once with the hairdryer. Both occasions the staff was very helpfull and took care of it within minutes.

I wouldn't say it was a horrible place to stay, but i'm sure i'll be trying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed November 26, 2005

We arrived very late on our way to San Diego. Even in the dark, this place was very dirty. The floor was filthy, there were used soap wrappers left in the shower, the bathroom sink was covered in dirt, the curtains had holes, the smell was an awful dirty smell that made you ill. There was a smashed spider left on the wall-not too sure how long it had been there. The sheets were clean, but paper thin and showed the the very dirty mattress and extremely dirty and stained pillows through them. The ceiling leaked, and water started pouring, not dripping, pouring in the room. We got our money back and decided to drive home at 12:00 in the morning!

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2005

My wife, son, and I have stayed at the Hacienda in the past and while it was serviceable then, I was in for a bit of a shock this time around. While the owner is very nice, unfortunately he is nowhere to be found after 7:00 p.m. and no one answers the front desk phone. We paid $110 a night a Sat. night stay and were appalled. $110 a night!?!? At $50 a night, it would have been an insult. We checked in at 1:00 and since the room wasn't quite ready, we left for the afternoon and planned to return after dinner. What we returned to was a "non-smoking room" that had cigarrette butts in the kitchennette sink, in the bathroom and in the toilet. Towels that looked like mechanic's rags. Exposed nails in the flooring ( i stepped on one), plumbing parts on the counters, chipped walls complete with holes, and carpet that looked 50 years old. The room smelled like sweat in an ashtray, and to top it off, the rest of the rooms of the hotel were filled with construction workers - probably the guys who were doing the "expert" renovations, and who were probably put up for free by the absentee manager/owner. It was like staying at a Frat Party, so finding no one at the front desk, we departed at 10:00 p.m. and drove home. I'm a fairly hearty soul and have stayed in my share of low-end motels, but staying with my wife and young son in a dump like this did me in. A subsequent call to the manager the next day barely yielded an apology. I would avoid this one like the plague and stay at Motel 6 down the street, or pay $50-$75 a night more and stay across the street at the Sandman. Shame on this hotel.

A warning to the wise should be sufficient.

• Stayed: April 2005