“Great Location. Helpful Staff. Fair Price.”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend get away from LA. Rooms we're large and comfy and the property was lovely. I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. If you're booking, suggest going to the Hyatt website directly and not using Hotels.com or Booking.com as the rates they gave seemed to be consistently higher.

Only complaint about the place was the pool area. It was clean and pretty but not Luxe, I think they could do better there but this is really just a taste thing -- I'm probably being a snob. I really have no issues with the place, and the location near West Beach is perfection. If you stay here, be sure to walk down the Coast Road to the East, then take the first right past the cemetery, walk for a bit you you will find a coast walking trail that leads along the top of the cliffs and passes by some of the most magnificent homes in the world. These estates will blow your mind. Then continue on and have a drink at the stunning Four Seasons Baltimore Hotel and pretend that you're rich enough to stay there. Then stroll back to the Hyatt on the beach.

SB has just created a new cool section of wine tasting rooms and restaurants with the unfortunate name "The Funk Zone" -- now dubbed the drunk zone by locals. Google the location and check it out on a Saturday evening. You will enjoy. And don't forget to stop by La Super Rica, the best taco stand in California. Get a #16 and a #8. You will be very happy.

Enjoy your stay in SB.

Room Tip: An ocean view would not hurt.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had booked this Hyatt using my points from their loyalty program. We arrived early -just before 1pm -apparently having missed the traffic in LA (shocker!). The lady at the front desk checked via phone directly with housekeeping to see if our room was ready but alas it was not. She offered to store our luggage while we explored the town. We caught the waterfront shuttle (stop is right in front of Bistro) for 50c and rode ~ 1mile to State Street. From there, we wandered around Funk Zone and visited wineries on the Urban Wine Trail. We ate both lunch and dinner at different restaurants in the area that had been recommended by the friendly concierge from the Hyatt. Once we returned from dinner, we had a pleasant surprise-we had been upgraded to an ocean-front room (we had booked an “mountain view” with the points). Room was spacious and the bed was just perfect (not too firm, not too soft). The bathroom was nice and had been updated and even offered a magnifying “make-up” mirror by the sink. However, there was no shelving around the pedestal sink to actually set your toiletries down. There were shelves in the water closet but that (too far from the make-up mirror to be useful). Oceanfront was great but there was some noise from the street until very late.
Hyatt continues to impress me with their customer service. We received an “bookend” emails from the manager prior to arrival to inform us of the activities planned for weekend and another a few days after our stay to thank us for our business. Staff was pleasant, welcoming and seemed genuinely glad to assist us.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Plus: Good rooms Good location (about 1 mile from state street; walkable) Across the street from a beach Minus: Unrefined staff (for the price of this hotel) A/C Unit in the rooms is very load. Not an issue if you can open the windows at night but if there is wedding party below your room good luck sleeping. For $500/night I expect refined staff (as a base line). While the rooms were okay, the staff did not hit the bar. When we asked someone if they were the concierge they said no and took us to the front desk. We asked if they could recommend hikes and the answer we got was "I'm new to the area." When ordering breakfast, the waiter spoke english but i could not understand what exactly he was saying and it was not being said in such a way that I could figure out costs.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Hello. Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our location and your room, I will share your kind comments with our housekeeping staff. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I have shared your comments with the department managers responsible for the areas mentioned so that we can provide the appropriate team members with the proper re training as we move forward. Thank you very much for sharing. I truly hope that you visit us again next time your travels bring you to Santa Barbara. With warm regards, Richard.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We love this hotel. Visiting Santa Barbara is a treat in itself, but if you're able to stay at this hotel, you won't be disappointed. It's directly across from the beach and within couple minutes walk to the SB zoo. You can rent bikes and ride to the pier within 10 minutes with all the kids on board. Honestly, we love this hotel and consider it a treat when we hop in the car to visit our SB family and friends!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2014

this is a first rate hotel with excellent and friendly service. it is centrally located. the room was very clean and quiet. it also had a balcony overlooking the ocean...spectacular view. the breakfast buffet was fabulous. definitely get the pancakes!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoy our hotel when in Santa Barbara, thank you very much for your loyalty and support! I will be sharing your kind comments and recognition with the team members as I see them over the course of this week. I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit. With warm regards, Richard.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I'm in Santa Barbara 4 - 5 times a year on business. I've stayed downtown but prefer the Hyatt. It's a little quirky the way the buildings are spread out and I'm not crazy about the new parking policy but the rooms are good sized and I enjoy the view of the beach and Pacific. The staff is nice and always helpful.

Room Tip: You want an ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad to hear that our team members make you feel appreciated by being nice and helpful. And thank you for making our hotel your preferred location during your visits to Santa Barbara, I will certainly share your review with our team members as your complete satisfaction is very important to us all. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. At your service, Richard.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Updated hotel in a Great location. Friendly staff and very clean rooms. Comfortable beds and nice linens. Easy beach access and views of hillside. Great location for beach lovers. Nice warm pool if ocean is too cold.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Greetings. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I sincerely appreciate your mention about our team members' friendliness and about the cleanliness of your room. I will share your comments with them as I attend their stand up meetings this week. Thank you very much for the recognition. From all of us at the Hyatt, thank you for making our hotel your home away from home during your most recent visit to Santa Barbara and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Richard.