“Lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Christchurch
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Nicely surprised with this hotel - a really lovely place to stay on the waters edge. Clean with very helpful staff - would definitely stay here again. A local tip from one of the staff there resulted in the best meal of our 3 week trip - don't miss chucks Waterside grill!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Greetings. Thank you so very much for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your feedback with the team members as I visited their areas, thank you very much for recognizing our friendly team members and the cleanliness of your room. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as a valued guest in the near future. Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Had one of the all-time best check in experiences. Amanda was one of the nicest, most-helpful front desk agents I've ever encountered. THANK YOU! Great views! You're across the street from the beach, but you don't even notice the street between you and the beach. Great location - you can walk to the beach, pier, State Street, etc. Being able to leave the car behind is a huge plus. There is also an electronic trolley stop at curbside. Nice room touches - extra amenities (toothpaste, toothbrush, razors, etc.) and frigs. You can also get a microwave. We had a very relaxing, enjoyable stay and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We asked for an end, corner room. It had an extra large balcony and no one on one side of us which a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your review! It's fantastic that Amanda was able to take good care of you, thank you very much for mentioning her, she was properly recognized for her efforts during our monthly departmental meeting this past week. I have also shared your kind comments with the various departments as I visit them, thank you for the nice review, I sincerely appreciate it! I hope to welcome you back to our hotel next time your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara. Warm Regards,
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Architectural
theme.

Santa Barbara has a distinct atmosphere and the Santa Barbara Hyatt is true to its theme in style and friendliness. If you were originally from Santa Barbara, like my husband and me, you love the mission style buildings and appreciate when a hotel doesn’t become a slave to the latest trending style and saturate your sights with bright colors and flashiness. What you want when you visit Santa Barbara, is the small town, old town, clean and bold reminders of Santa Barbara’s historical beginnings.

That’s just what we experienced last week when we chose to stay at the Santa Barbara Hyatt. From the moment we easily secured our best rate by booking directly at Hyatt online, to the personal follow-up email message we received from the manager, Richard Uribe, asking if there was anything he could assist us with during our stay, that personal touch of Santa Barbara was there. We highly recommend booking an ocean view room, as that is one of the charms of the city, the sights, sounds and scents of the shore. Unlike large modern hotels, the windows of the Hyatt actually open so you can take it all in! The pool area is cozy, with a very-warm pool, Jacuzzi and fire pit. Breakfast at the hotel gives you another opportunity to view the shore and then you can walk right outside and be at the beach – walk along the sidewalk for the weekend arts and crafts exhibits and head to the pier. We went on the Trolley of Lights tour which we highly recommend.

Thank you Richard for helping to make our stay so perfect and seeking us out so that you could meet us in person!

Room Tip: The beds are very comfortable and don't forget to book an ocean view room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jan B
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Greetings. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us during your most recent visit to your home town. It was a true pleasure meeting you guys and being your host this past weekend. It is very nice of you to share your review, l sincerely appreciate it. I'll be sure to share your kind comments with the team members as I visit their areas today and over the course of the week. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit beautiful Santa Barbara! Thank you very much and Happy Holidays! Richard
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I love old buildings, and I could tell immediately that this one was old. My first clue was that the driveway entrance isn't on Cabrillo Boulevard: nobody would have the entrance to a new building be on another street than the address, but with old places, there's no telling. Indeed, the original structure was built in 1931 and is filled with the charms of quirks of an old place.

The valets were friendly and very fast throughout our stay. We never waited for our car in spite of being very close to the main lobby. The location of the hotel made every car trip around town a quick one as well.

The front desk said our room wasn't ready at our check-in and placed us in another room with an ocean view. Though the building is old (and the odd lobby configuration reconfirmed that the place has been heavily remodeled), it has been updated and is in fine condition.

The weather was very pleasant during our stay, and we spent a bit of time by the pool. Sitting there gave us a view of several upstairs rooms with various-sized balconies that probably offered very nice ocean views, better than our first-floor ocean view. This is the sort of hotel where knowing the rooms can really matter.

Breakfast was nothing remarkable and was as expensive as you would expect from a Hyatt in Santa Barbara. Nothing wrong with it. Nice view, though.

The timing of the housekeeping service was a little erratic: one day our room was cleaned at four in the afternoon while another day they were knocking at nine in the morning.

I enjoyed our stay and would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask about balconies facing the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmccalpin
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Hello. Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your kind comments about our team members being friendly and of service, I'll be sure to share with them as I visit their areas today and this week. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back as a valued guest in the near future. Kind Regards,
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Wonderful location near the beach. Lobby is updated in a clean and modern fashion, but rooms are very tired. Breakfast was just OK in a rather tired dining room. Check in was quite slow and the front desk had no change for tipping valets.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maureenandallen
Hello. Thank you very much for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I sincerely appreciate your comment about cleanliness, I have shared it with our housekeeping department. We are in the planning stage of a renovation for our restaurant, I hope we have completed it by the time you visit us next. I also had the opportunity to speak to our Front Office Manager so that he can bring resolution to the lack of change inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Thank you for your feedback and for making our hotel your home away from home during your most recent visit to Santa Barbara. I look forward to welcoming you back as a valued guest soon. Best Regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel location is beautiful, directly across from the beach. I arrived at midnight and was greeted by the nicest valet who really set the stage for an awesome visit. My stay was so peaceful and relaxing that I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Request oceanview and you'll awake to a beautiful sight.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Greetings. Thank you very much for your participation in sharing your review. I am truly glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll be sure to recognize the valet team members for their efforts in providing our guests with great service, thank you for mentioning them. I look forward to your next visit to our hotel when your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara. Thank you for staying with us. Warm Regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

While the location is great, this hotel is over priced for what it offers. It's does not meet the Hyatt standard and is overpriced. I suggest you look for other places which offer much better value. The front desk was not very helpful as there was no conceriege desk. Coffee was bad and hot water was colored.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nazmin A
Greetings, Thank you very much for your review! I have shared your comments with our Director of Food and Beverage and with our Front Office Manager, they have reviewed them as well with the members of their respective teams in an effort to increase awareness on the importance of customer service and guest appreciation. Thank you very much for your feedback as we strive to better serve you next time you visit our hotel as a valued guest. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Warm Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels