“Remodel needed”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Santa Barbara is gorgeous. This hotel fails to deliver gracious service and is in need of an upgrade. The split level hotel is awkwardly situated. Staff is inconsistent between shifts. Use hotels.com to get the best rate. Bar menu is average at best, take advantage if happy hour to save money.

• Stayed: October 2013
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Greetings. Thank you very much for sharing your review! I am glad you were able to enjoy our happy hour and appreciate you mentioning it. I am truly sorry we did not deliver the levels of consistent service you deserve. I'll be sharing your valuable feedback with the members of the management team so that we can continue working on constant improvement in an effort to better serve you next time you visit our hotel. Thank you very much for your participation and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon as a valued guest. Warm Regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed a very relaxing weekend. The staff were very efficient and courteous, the room was spacious and clean, the bed was very comfortable and the location is second to none. We enjoyed sitting by the fire-pit in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings. Thank you very much for sharing your review. The fire pit at the pool area is my personal favorite, thank you for mentioning it! I am glad you enjoyed your two night stay. It gives me great pleasure to know that our team members were of service and efficient. I will be sharing with them your kind comments as I visit their areas today and this week. I too, will be visiting housekeeping and sharing your comments about the cleanliness of your room, thank you for the recognition. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your return as a valued guest of our hotel. Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great location about a 1/2 mile down beach from State St. Not the nicest hotel in the world but sizable rooms with great balconies. We only stayed one night but got to enjoy the best that Santa Barbara has to offer. Sun and Sand right across street. In our room there was easily space to put the crib for our small child. It was not to not have the crib right on top of the king size bed

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hello. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your review. I am glad you enjoyed your one night stay at our hotel and that you particularly enjoyed our location right across the street from the beach. Also happy to hear that you guys were able to enjoy our beautiful city as well. Thank you for your participation and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as a valued guest in the near future. With warm regards,

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as part of driving the coast.
The hotel is good first impressions (as you would want from a Hyatt!) right opposite the beach nice looking building.
The parking is 14 dollars per night. Which I thought it pretty high! The rooms are quite large but could do with a re vamp the paint work etc looks old and worn!
We had a nice king size bed but it squeaked every time you turned over! Which makes it not so comfortable!!!
The maids also continuously knocked early on both mornings even the morning we were due to check out!!
The bar and restaurant was nice with the food not being to expensive and the staff really good!

It's quite a distance walk from the centre also! But it's quite a nice walk so if you are able it's not to bad on a sunny day!
Overall a nice hotel but in need of a few changes!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings. Thank you very much for your sharing your review. I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant, food and service. I'll be sure to share your kind comments with our leaders in that area of our hotel. I have shared your valuable feedback about the bed in your room with our Chief Engineer so that he can pay particular attention to the maintenance of the beds. I have also had conversation with our Director of Housekeeping so that she can share with her team during her next meeting tomorrow morning the importance of allowing our guests to enjoy their room. We try to stay competitive with the local hotels with our parking rates, I am sorry you found them to be a bit high, thank you for sharing your comment with us. I sincerely appreciate your participation and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as a valued guest next time your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara. Best Regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Are the rooms smaller in comparison to hotel rooms say in Las Vegas or Palm Springs? Yes. But this is common in areas like Santa Barbara since beach front property is limited and in high demand. The hotel has a Spanish Mediterranean feel to it and looks like it's been renovated in recent years.

If you don't mind a bit of "coziness" and a hallway that gives you flashbacks from the "The Shining," I say go for it 'cause the view and service is spectacular!

Room Tip: Pay more for an Ocean or Pool view - it's better than getting a room with a window facing a stuc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Hello. Thank you very much for your participation! I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel and your visit to our city. Your kind comments about our views and service being spectacular will certainly be shared with our team members as I visit their areas, thank you very much for your mention. I hope to welcome you back as a valued guest in the near future. With warm regards,

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We booked the hotel for one night.
The hotel and its location (beach is right over the street) were great, so we wanted to extend our stay.

We asked at the front desk to extend our booking. As the hotel was already fully booked for the subsequent night, the front desk manager offered us to book a king size room at their sister property. He described the sister property as very similar to the Hyatt. We told him to reserve the room at the sister property and to inform us if there are any cancellations at the Hyatt so that we don't have to move.

On the next day, the front desk did no longer knew about this agreement. They only told us that they are fully booked and neither is there a king size room at the sister property available. They did not apologize for the lost booking of their employee and it needed my request to talk to the manager on duty to resolve this problem. Not what you expect from such a property.

Even worse, the sister property did not look like the Hyatt at all. Rooms were filthy and the bed clothes were damp - very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings. Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to participate and share your review. I have shared your valuable feedback with our Front Office Manager so that he can provide the team members with the proper training as needed in an effort to not mislead our guests with the overall presentation of our sister hotel The Parkside Inn. I am glad we were able to, at a minimum, provide you with accommodations for your second night and truly apologize for the inconvenience you had to experience to get there. Thank you for sharing, we are focused on improving so that we may better serve you next time you visit us as a valued guest of our hotel. I hope your travels bring you back to our city in the near future and that we get the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome. Best Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in September and, overall, the hotel gets mixed ratings from me. In terms of style, it's what I would describe as rustic/Mediterranean. The lobby is light and welcoming, but the hallways are dimly lit and feel a bit outdated. The front-desk staff is professional and very pleasant and we were treated with the utmost respect during our stay. Based on what we'd read in reviews, we asked for for a newer room. We were given a room in the main building with a lovely ocean view. The room was very clean, but very small. There was barely enough room for the two queen-sized beds (which felt more full-size to me) and an armchair. Once we added our three large suitcases, the room felt a bit crowded. Unfortunately, this was not helped by the meager storage space. There were two small drawers in the nightstand and one drawer in the armoire under the TV. On the plus side, the room came with a safe for storing valuables and a small refrigerator. The bathroom was also on the small side, but was very clean. We did find it strange that the sink was positioned outside of the bathroom. I tried not to think of the germs accumulating on the doorknob every time someone had to open the door to go out and wash their hands.

Other than the room size (something we learned is common in SB), my other biggest gripe with the room was the extremely loud AC UNIT. I am a fairly light sleeper and the noise from the AC made it very difficult for me to fall asleep. To put in perspective how loud the AC units are, when we did turn ours off to get relief from the noise, we could hear the AC unit from the room below. If you're a light sleeper like I am, bring ear plugs. I had some on me and was only able to get a few hours of sleep after popping them in.

The hotel charges for self-parking. I wasn't too happy about this. I think guests should be afforded a parking space as a compliment to their stay. If you can find parking on the street outside the hotel, grab it and save the fee for breakfast.

There are quite a few attractions near to the hotel. The SB Zoo is less than a 5-min walk. The beach is right across the street. State street is a short drive and has many restaurants and shops to peruse. There is also a lovely bistro in the hotel and a spa. We enjoyed some meals from the bistro, but didn't have a chance to check out the spa. The pool is beautiful and there's an awe

Overall, we had a pleasant stay. While the hotel has some flaws, I would consider staying here again. I took off one star for the size of the rooms and one star for the AC.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Hello. Thank you very much for your review, I sincerely appreciate you kind comments, I'll be sure to share them with the housekeeping and Bistro team members as I see them when I walk by their respective areas. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with your AC unit being loud and with the size of the room, thank you very much for bringing this up to our attention. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your experience and look forward to welcoming you back as a valued guest in the near future. With warm regards.