“Great Location on Beach but Not Much More”

Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Pensacola, Florida
“Great Location on Beach but Not Much More”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I chose this property based on Tripadvisor ratings, the Hyatt brand, their location on the water/beach and proximity to clients. Overall it was an average at best experience. We requested but did not get a water view which was our first disappointment. We did get a great view of the mountains and parking lot. On this trip to California we spent 8 nights in hotels in this quality/price range and our Hyatt SB room was the smallest and oldest of all 8. The rooms on this property are in three separate buildings. Be sure to ask for bell service if you are in one of the remote buildings as there is no bell service or carts to move your luggage yourself. Also ask about the trolley service referenced by other reviewers. It is a fun and very inexpensive way to tour the beach and the city. I would recommend the in-room literature include information about the trolley. The hotel offered self-parking at $15 per night and valet at $22 per night. On several occasions we were delayed several minutes on entering the property because of the congestion of cars at guest check-in. We did not eat in the in-house restaurant but did go down for an after dinner drink and enjoyed it in their outdoor seating area. We got our bill and had a bit of sticker shock when we found that our two shots of Baileys cost us $28 bucks, which seems pricey even for California standards.

Room Tip: Our room was 390 Santa Maria. Avoid this room as it is over an open staircase leading to the second...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad you enjoyed our location and that you had a nice time in our city. I have shared your comments with our front office team with relation to importance of sharing as much information with our guests as possible. We do experience several requests for ocean view rooms, particularly during the Summer months. Since they are available as a different room type, they book fast. In the event we have them available at check in, we take advantage of any of using them all, unfortunately, we only have so many. I hope you understand our position with this subject. We do offer bell carts and we certainly have them available for our guests to use, I am sorry we did not communicate that with you. I have also asked our leaders in the food and beverage operation to be sure that all menus and beverage lists are presented to ensure transparency with pricing. Thank you very much for your review and I look forward to having you back in our hotel as a valued guest. With warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Right across the street from the beach and the SB zoo. The bar made a great Mai tai and had great happy hour menu, so good that we sat outside on the grass overlooking the beach and called that our dinner....walked along the boardwalk to state street for dessert while the sun was setting, loved it! Our room was clean and bed was comfy so over all had a good experience and would stay there again. We only stayed one night so the view was not too important but if we were staying longer would request an ocean view for sure. Hope this helps:)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shelean F
Greetings. Thank you very much for sharing your review. The zoo and sitting outside by the grassy area for a drink and some food are my favorite too! I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Santa Barbara and that you also had the opportunity to visit State Street. I'll be sure to share your kind comments about room cleanliness with the housekeeping team, they like to hear that they are doing a good job! Thank you for your participation and I look forward to saying hello next time you visit our hotel. Best Regards.
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have stayed at Hyatts allover the USA, diamond for 17 years and the Santa Barbara property has been a major disappointment on two of my last three stays. My requests for room preference are simple, high floor, little nicer room than a standard one, see diamond for 17 years. I walked up to the front desk, so smile, no greeting, no nothing, was put in a second floor room, no view, would not accept it, then placed across the street in what looked like a flop house, came back to the front desk and said that was completely unacceptable, the the only person who seemed to care tried to get me into a decent room and although it was a second floor, tiny room, it did have a balcony but it was in the main building which in spite of the remodel feels and looks old, took the room it was the best I could get,
This was the second time that I have encountered this indifferent attitude at this property and even though the front desk manager did contact me and assured me it would not happen again I have had that promise from them the first time I had the same issue and it did not improve. I will say this the food at this place is consistent, none of it had any flavor and one of my selections at dinner was so soggy it was a joke. Before the remodel this place had some charm, very good food and went out of there way to please, all that changed after they redid the place. I have not found a good Santa Barbara hotel but in spite of my loyalty to Hyatt I will look for other options

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Greetings. Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry we did not treat you like the valued loyal Hyatt guest that you are. Your candid comments have been shared with the ledership team as we focus on conducting additional training sessions with our teams. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your most recent visit. We will work hard at improving in an effort to better serve you next time you visit our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience. With warm regards.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

santa barbara
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is one of the worst hotels I have stayed in in years.
I thought seriously of leaving once we saw our rooms.
Old...very old...They still have in room air conditioning and heating.
No balconies. Just a window that may or may not get a view of the ocean.
We checked in about 6:60 pm and believe it or not, our room wasn't ready.
Because they had a plumbing issue.

That translates to stopped up toilet!!!!

Then when you actually see the bathrooms, they are so old...you would be surprised that they even flush.
Badly in need of renovation.
Then dirty dishes outside your hotel room. If you like that, stay here
This hotel is not up to the Hyatt name.
I am a very frequent Marriott patron, and have not used Hyatt in years.
Hyatt s

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fredgrede
HyattGM995, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Hello. Thank you very much for your review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I truly hope you understand our position with doing our very best at getting your two rooms as close to each as possible as soon as we became aware of your request. Your two rooms were ready when you arrived, they were just not close to each other. One option was to assign your reservation to a room that had been shampooed earlier as part of our routine carpet cleaning schedule, we just needed to wait for the carpet to dry for 2 hours. I hope that our service recovery actions with extending breakfast vouchers for all members in your party were to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your participation and most importantly for staying with us during your most recent visit to Santa Barbara!
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I took the Amtrak train up the coast from San Diego and stayed two nights at the Hyatt Santa Barbara. You can grab a shuttle trolley right outside the train depot down a couple of blocks to the Stearns Wharf and then connect to another trolley and it stops right at the Hyatt; all for 50 cents! The trolley is open air and very convenient. It runs every 15 minutes during the busy season. I had two complimentary nights at the Hyatt. We arrived very early and the reception staff was very friendly. Our room was not quite ready so they held our luggage and we spent a couple of hours at the lovely Santa Barbara Zoo which is only a short walk from the Hyatt. A wonderful valet employee even took us over to the zoo in a hotel cart. The hotel called us on our cell phone when our room was ready (a couple of hours early) and we were delighted to receive an awesome upgrade to a partial ocean view room. The room was extremely large and airy with a wonderful ocean view. The hotel bar had great happy hour specials and the appetizers were very good. The drink specials were also available out by the pool. We enjoyed the fire pit around the pool at night. We are looking forward to coming back to enjoy the Hyatt and lovely Santa Barbara.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DTierman
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This Hyatt is the latest re-incarnation of the old historic Mar Monte Hotel that has been on the site since the early 1930s. The hotel staff members and cleaning staff all are very friendly and helpful.

You need to think about relaxation at the pool, walking on the nearby beach across the street, and enjoying the ocean views and marveling at the Channel Islands appearing and disappeaing in the mist. This is not a hotel for people who need endless entertainment and stimulation. You have to really hike or take a taxi to Santa Barbara's "State Street" downtown or use a car to go to the Coast Village Road shops and "Upper Village" in Montecito.

The hotel offers a fresh and appealing breakfast buffett and the food is quite good. Some of the dining staff need more training and can be inattentive. The afternoon food offerings are typical of a resort hotel. The arrangement of the small dining room and bar is somewhat odd and rather cramped and the staff have a hard time getting past each other gracefully. I don't envy them working in such small space.

The rooms are somewhat small, but clean and you can tell it is an older hotel that has had a bit of a make-over. It must be said, if the Hyatt remodels too much, the hotel will lose its Spanish-influenced, dark-tiled, hacienda feel.

Santa Barbara is my home-town and this hotel is typical of accommodations for travelers.

Room Tip: Lovely views of the Pacific Ocean or views of the Santa Barbara mountains are available, so ask wher...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greetings. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us as you came home to visit. Thank you very much for your review! I have shared your kind comments with the leaders in our food and beverage operation, thank you for the valuable feedback! I have also shared your kind comments with the folks in the housekeeping department, they enjoyed the recognition. Thank you for your participation and please visit us again next time you come home. With warm regards.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, rooms were very large, clean, comfortable & well appointed. Pool are was nice as well. Only downside is that it is a mile away from the bars, restaurants and shops, there is a shuttle that runs in the day but stops at 6pm. It is about $12-$15 in a taxi but it is worth it as there is lots to do on the main street.

• Stayed August 2013