“Can't believe this is a "Quality" Inn”

Quality Inn Santa Barbara
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Tacoma, WA
“Can't believe this is a "Quality" Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

This was not the type of motel I had expected when I booked online. The other Quality Inns that I have stayed at have all been newer properties with modern amenities. Unfortunately, this place was neither modern, nor did it have much in the way of amenities. It was a much older property. The room and bathroom were very small and cramped. Fixtures were old and the AC didn't work too well. Fortunately, it was cool and the AC wasn't needed.

The front staff was not too helpful. I was expecting a computer with a printer to be available like at the other Quality Inns that I had stayed at. While there was wireless in the rooms, there was no computer/printer in the lobby area and the clerk at the front desk wouldn't let me use his printer.

The worst part about it was all this "luxury" cost me $130. I had expected to pay more being in Santa Barbara but I checked out a couple of places that were right on the beach and they were going for the same rate. So, I felt like I was ripped off as well.

On the plus side, the room was clean, the motel was quiet and the continental breakfast was decent with fresh baked goods.

So, unless you are trying to obtain points through choicehotels.com, I would probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank County-Hunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
São Paulo, Brazil
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

Ugly room, old looking and very expensive. Far from downtown (10 min driving)
Ugly room, old looking and very expensive. Far from downtown (10 min driving)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abeisert

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

We were scheduled to stay in another hotel in SB and called to confirm our reservation as we were at the airport in NYC. The first hotel, El Prado, lost our reservation, which was rather unfortunate considering it was memorial day weekend, so they said they'd call around to see if something was available. While we were in the air flying to the west coast someone at the first hotel gave our credit card information and booked us without our authorization to Quality Inn. We landed and decided to stay with some friends. The voice mail on my husband's phone gave no indication that we were obligated or even booked at the quality inn. After coming home I noticed the charge on our credit card and called the Quality Inn to dispute it. The manager, whose name I don't remember, was the most inconsiderate person I have ever spoken to and wouldn't budge saying we were a "no show" (For a reservation we never agreed to). Needless to say, I was furious. I mean it was memorial day weekend, but we were coming in late so it wasn't as if this last minute reservation (which we didn't authorize) cost them money anyway. It was likely gravy. I talked to the manager of the first hotel and he apologized repeatedly for his staff booking that hotel and said he would help fix the charge. Clearly the first hotel messed up a few times, but they were willing to help at every step of the way. I cannot believe the "quality" of customer service displayed by the Quality Inn. I will forever remember this event when looking to book a room at a hotel.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jungstarr
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2009

We spent three nights here and found it clean, pleasant and convenient. The staff was very responsive to a minor plumbing problem we had. The free breakfast featured fresh baked goods and fruit as well as yogurt and the standard items.

We can recommend this facility without reservation and will stay there on our next trip to beautiful Santa Barbara.

• Liked — clean, convenient to highway, pretty landscaping
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank baystone634
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2008

Only place we could find at a reasonable cost $76.50 for 2 double beds. Place is definitely very old but our room was clean. Access to the propery is tricky because of the location at an intersection and a very steep sharp angle to turn in. As we were visiting the Mission it proved to be quite handy.

6/10

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank niloc-7
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

This property is actually a rather crummy 1960's era motel at the wrong end of town which somehow managed to get a Quality franchise. Needless to say, small, grubby smelly rooms, broken tiles in the bathrooms, 50 year-old windows, and everything else you shudder to think about when you are travelling. Continental breakfast was dismal, consisting mainly of cellophane-wrapped sweet junk. Unfriendly, disinterested staff, and at $170, exhorbitantly priced for the quality. I don't often do this, but I actually filed a complaint with the Quality corporate management.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Reisefuehrer77
Waipahu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

It's a MOTEL. Don't expect the bells and whistles. You get what you pay for. Upside: Clean, Quiet & Good Location (right off of State and De La Vina). Downside: Older Building & Furnishings, Bad Wireless Internet Connection, Breakfast.
if you're just passing through and don't want to spend a fortune, this place would work. But keep in mind that it's a MOTEL, so don't arrive with any expectations.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank BethUhhKnee