“Old place ok for a one night stopover”

Quality Inn Santa Barbara
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Ontario, Canada
“Old place ok for a one night stopover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2008

Only place we could find at a reasonable cost $76.50 for 2 double beds. Place is definitely very old but our room was clean. Access to the propery is tricky because of the location at an intersection and a very steep sharp angle to turn in. As we were visiting the Mission it proved to be quite handy.

6/10

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank niloc-7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

This property is actually a rather crummy 1960's era motel at the wrong end of town which somehow managed to get a Quality franchise. Needless to say, small, grubby smelly rooms, broken tiles in the bathrooms, 50 year-old windows, and everything else you shudder to think about when you are travelling. Continental breakfast was dismal, consisting mainly of cellophane-wrapped sweet junk. Unfriendly, disinterested staff, and at $170, exhorbitantly priced for the quality. I don't often do this, but I actually filed a complaint with the Quality corporate management.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Reisefuehrer77

Travelers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Waipahu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

It's a MOTEL. Don't expect the bells and whistles. You get what you pay for. Upside: Clean, Quiet & Good Location (right off of State and De La Vina). Downside: Older Building & Furnishings, Bad Wireless Internet Connection, Breakfast.
if you're just passing through and don't want to spend a fortune, this place would work. But keep in mind that it's a MOTEL, so don't arrive with any expectations.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank BethUhhKnee
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2006

I stay at Choice Hotel properties a majority of the nights that I travel and I found this property to be below standard for the name. The place is old and should be remodeled. The beds were on the hard side but I've had worse. I called the hotel in advance and requested a microwave in the room but when I checked in I was told none were available. I also asked the front desk for 2 extra pillows and was told none were available. The walls are very thin. We were on the upper floor so I don't know about the ceilings. The breakfast was OK. It would be nice if they added a waffle maker. I thought the price to be high for the quality of the property but I realize Santa Barbara is expensive. I would not recommend this hotel or stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GoldwingGrammy
Bend, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2006

Do not book on-line. I booked online from an airport, could not print a confirmation, cancelled the hotel the same day and ended up getting charged for the room anyway. The hotel mysteriously had a record of my reservation but no record of my cancellation - go figure. I tried to cancel the payment through my credit card company, but they were met with an uncooperative and beligerent attitude from management. While I cannot comment on the quality of the hotel - the customer service stinks!

Stayed October 2006
4 Thank AccidentalTourist007
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

Lets get this out of the way first:

Cons: This is a motel not a hotel. Older building with small rooms and bathrooms.

Pros: Pride of ownership, recently remodled rooms, great location, a bargin at under $100 based on other Santa Barbara hotel pricing.

My four star rating is not comparing it to a Hoiliday Inn or other more expensive hotel, but in what it tries to acheive with what it has to work with. My room was small, however I had basic but new furniture, new carpet, stone tile in bathroom and sink area, heat lamp in bathroom and mirrored closet doors. Add to that free high speed Internet, mini refrigerator, coffee, hairdryer, iron and board, free continental breakfast whil viewing a flat screen tv added to the value that I found at this hotel.

The money I saved on the room I used at some of the great reasturants around this hotel.

• Liked — extras in the room
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed September 2006
8 Thank ganon
Lake Forest, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

I'm a former Santa Barbara resident who comes up once a year for the annual meeting of an organization, and to do a couple days of bicycling. I'm quite surprised by the several negative reviews of this motel; perhaps some folks have exceedingly lofty expectations. The Quality Inn (why the corporate droids reamed it from the Mountain View Inn escapes me!) always is appropriate for my needs. I'm sitting in the motel as I type this, and have come here for the last twelve or so years.

Let's start with the negatives: the paper-thin disposable glasses are a joke; I always bring a mug from home. There aren't enough electrical outlets - every conection is filled with plugs or with multi-plug extenders, and one has to unplug something to plug in a radio (I don't like theirs) or computer. The tiny bathroom is a little over the top; where did they find such miniature bathtubs???

The good: I appreciate the midtown location, convenient to go almost anywhere by car or bicycle, without being caught in the worst of what passes for Santa Barbara traffic. The beds are very comfortable, with plenty of covers, pillows, and huge throw pillows. The rooms have been modernized over the years, and I especially like the stonework in the bathroom area. The lobby has been modernized and is a comfortable place for the nice continental breakfast. They now have free broadband connectivity in the rooms - bring your own CAT5 cable; I didn't last year (the first year they had it) and had to use dialup. There are more-than-sporadic outages, but eventually things start working again.
I had no luck with the wireless signal, not typical for my laptop, but I was happy to use the wired conection. There are lots of things typically associated with more upscale hotels - iron/ironing board, hair dryer, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker with pedestrian coffee, and free local calls, a real pleasure. Room furnishings are adequate in my book. I think the sound insulation is fine, contrary to another opinion. Last night there was an entire busload of teenagers (turned out to be H.S. seniors visiting colleges) and they were packed who-knows-how-many per room. One could hear them running around outside and yelling or talking, but I heard absolutely nothing from the rooms, contrary to what I uneasily expected. The tiny bathrooms have good ventilation and a good ceiling heat lamp, which is nice after a bath or shower. And the TV unit always seems decent, unlike many motels. The price keeps creeping upward each year, but I enjoy the Quality Inn and will continue to use it when I visit Santa Barbara

Art Shapiro