“Pretty impressed with our stay”

Motel 6 Santa Barbara - State Street
Ranked #50 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Motel 6 is not the place that I would normally stay at but we wanted to spend 4 days in Santa Barbara and weren't looking to spend a lot. The location on State Street up near the La Cumbe mall was very convenient. There were great restaurants closeby in both directions including two "best of" winners, Jeannines and Flavor of India Located midway between downtown SB and Goleta, everything was quickly within reach.

We were about 1/2 way back from the street and it was very quiet. The room had a large flat screen TV with video inputs and the beds were comfortable. Our room also had a microwave and a refrigerator. I didn't swim in the pool as I got a 3 day free membership at the nearby YMCA but it looked nice. All in all, I can't complain about much given the great price for staying in SB. I do agree with others that they could include the wifi in the price.

My suggestions would include bringing your own towels as the towels are cheap white hotel towels, but were functional. I would have also brought a dvd player to connect to the TV or at least brought cables to attach my laptop dvd player to it. Don't expect luxury, but this is a very convenient and affordable option.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank talktoandy

Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night in Sep 2011 as part of our trip down the Pacific Coast Highway. The room was reasonably furnished but very small and with a general lack of care - for example there was a cigarette burn in the bed cover. The price was not bad for Santa Barbara but expensive compared to almost every other motel we stayed at during our trip. It was also the only place we stayed that did not provide in-room coffee-making facilities or shampoo! It was also a shame that wireless internet was an optional paid for extra rather than being included in the cost.

Our room was right next to a vending machine and its buzzing could be heard while inside the room. Late at night loud music was being played from cars in the carpark which could also be heard inside the room.

One good point, the staff were very friendly and helpful. All in all though, we couldn't in all good conscience recommend this to a friend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ward_KE
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Staying at this hotel in May was like coming a full circle for me. I first stayed here over 10 years ago when I was just starting grad school at UCSB and looking for a place to live. It was nice to be able to get away and revisit this property.
I've stayed at a variety of hotels in SB from the fancy to the plain. I think that this is probably the best value hotel for the money for certain things.
1. The location is excellent and very central if you want to hit my favorite beach--Hendry's. It's also quite close to the freeway to make a speedy trip to other parts of the city (but it's definitely not 'on' the freeway)
2. The rooms have been refreshed and are pleasant and clean. In comparison with some of the other new 'hip' budget hotels in SB, I think the amenities in terms of towels and blankets were much better here
3. The hotel was really quiet. I'm a light sleeper, but I really didn't hear a thing and the hotel was completely full when my husband and I stayed there
4. Dog friendly! If you're going to take your dog to SB, then you're going to take it to the beach, right? This hotel is dog friendly, there's no dog fee, and you're about as close as you can get to the best off -leash beach in SB.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Glendale_Sarah
Reviewed September 12, 2011

"Budget-friendly" for Santa Barbara, that is--but if you're going to Santa Barbara, you'd best be prepared for that. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, and the location was terrific, with multiple local restaurants within walking distance.

One thing: I wish that they'd bundle the wireless access cost into the room if you're staying more than a couple of nights. Even the guy at the counter said, "You'd think we could comp you this, considering that you're spending nearly $900 to stay here."

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank KateNonymous
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We had a choice of rooms upon arrival. The room itself was a fair size and the bathroom was clean and big enough. There was no free wifi so we paid the $3 for 24 hour use and were given a password that could only be used once so only one of our phones could access it.
There are many shops and eating places nearby with a couple of bars too. There is a good bus route that takes you into the heart of santa barbara and takes around 20ins or so. We only stayed in the motel one night having to move to another one as they were full on the sat night but it was a pleasant stay and would recommend it but dont expect free wifi.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Doyleast
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This was the first hotel where our booking wasn't on their system but the receptionist sorted us out quickly and ensured we were charged the price we were originally quoted. The room was small but functional enough and very clean and well presented. It is a drive into Santa Barbara but there's plenty of parking to be found. I can see that it could be very noisy if you were unlucky with your neighbours but we didn't have any problems after 10.30pm. Pizza Guru across the street was a great find for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank helen_stu74
Reviewed July 2, 2011

From the moment the friendly receptionist books you in, you're in for a really good experience. The location is convenient for great restaurants and whilst the Motel is on a busy road the layout ensures a peaceful nights sleep. Recently refreshed the rooms are clean and comfortable but basic. Just what I expect from this chain. A thoroughly enjoyable stay in a great town.

Room Tip: The layout ensures all rooms are quiet