See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I went from these reviews and booked the "nicest" room in the place. When we got there, the folks running the place were sketchy, but we checked in anyway. When we went to the room it had food in the microwave from the previous guests, it smelled and looked dirty and the ceiling fan in the room (there was one in the picture) was gone and the wires were just hanging there. There were no curtains on the windows above the bath tub. We immediately went back to the desk clerk and asked for a refund. He told us he couldn't give it to us and gave me the owners name and phone number. The owner wouldn't answer his phone and his voice mail box was full so I couldn't leave a message. I went back to the desk clerk and he gave me the managers name and phone number and it was basically the same story, except I was able to leave a message for her. No one ever returned my calls and I am now disputing the charges on my credit card. We ended up staying at one of the other hotels with a beach view and although we paid a little bit more, I felt it was a much better value. I don't know what these people who are leaving good reviews saw, but this place is completly scummy.

Room Tip: There isn't one.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Krista C
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We strolled into town late at night looking for a place to stay over night not realizing where we were in Santa Barbara. They had vacancies and since it was so late we got a good deal. Front desk staff weren't the most professional, but there were nice. I know it's California, but was a little suprised to smell a strong "Purple Haze" kind of smell when I walked into the hotel office...thought it would have been from a guest room. Overall the room was very quaint and dated, except for the large flat screen tv and wifi. The decor was older, the beds are in need of being replaced and the bathroom shower head is good if your are 5'2" or under. But, the motel is right across from the beach and they have a great second floor open patio that was facing the ocean. When you take all of this into consideration I would rate this place average, if you are looking for a place to stay more than a few nights I would look somewhere else until they replace the beds.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had a really good value room, especially considering what was being charged at the hotel next door (almost double after a discount!). The ocean view room (#110) was superb, and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast wasn't our cup of tea but at the price I'd have no complaints. Be aware Santa Barbara is generally a more expensive location, which made this even better value.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I made a reservation online for this motel and within hours regretted it after reading the yelp reviews. I canceled my reservation and received an email confirming it WITH a cancellation number.

Two weeks later, we drove down to Santa Barbara for a nice weekend at a DIFFERENT hotel and Ala Mar Motel called me to confirm a reservation. I again, told them I canceled this and they said "Oh ok ok ok sorry ma'am."

Monday morning back at work and looking at my bank statement - Ala Mar Motel took out $151 for a reservation I canceled 2 WEEKS AGO.

I have yet to hear from the owner - Julianne.

DON'T STAY HERE. DON'T EVEN VISIT THE WEBSITE!!!

Room Tip: Try Pacific Crest Inn
Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My family and I had booked (2) rooms without first reading the reviews. We were horrified as to what was posted, but, we decided to check it out for ourselves. Armando was a gracious young man, very helpful and friendly. He let us see the rooms prior to us checking in. The rooms were very clean and of course the first thing we did was to check for bed bugs. We didn't find a single creature lurking around. The motel is not a fancy place, but each room is very quaint and has it's own rustic look to it. The housekeeping lady was very friendly and accomodated us with more towels as requested. Now if you are used to staying at the Biltmore or any other higher end hotel, this place will not work for you. If you are looking for a view of the beach, which is directly across the street, clean rooms and a friendly atmosphere then this is the place to stay, It is also walking distance to State Street where there are many shops, bars and restaurants. My family and I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family