See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 4, 2011

The only good thing about the hotel is the LOCATION. The staff is RUDE!!! You can't receive incoming call if there no one at the front desk. We would not stay here again. This place SUCKS!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pat s
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This place is a dump. We were put in a room with no windows...really, no windows except for one the size of a shoe box behind the bed. There was no air conditioning and it was a hot summer evening. The room fit the double bed and a small desk - very claustrophobic. Shower and toilet were filthy. Rips in the duvet material. Then, drunk people in the room underneath us began yelling at 2 am, so did not sleep much. We would have closed the little shoebox window if there was another source of air in the room. We requested another room the next day (the clerk leaves at 10pm, so no one was on the premises for help until the morning). The second room was better in comparison to the hell of the previous night - had sliding doors and a king bed, but the state of the room was just dismal. There was a towel plugging up a hole in the bathroom wall, and missing awning on the furniture. This place is nightmare. And it was expensive as hell to boot. What a waste of money. I thought the person on the phone was booking me for Casa Del Mar, which is supposed to be good, right next door, and the same price. I would recommend moving right along and not thinking twice about this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Balamena
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The hotel is certainly not luxurious, but it was clean, the staff were friendly and it is in an unbeatable llocation. Santa Barbara hotels are notoriously expensive, so we feel like we got a pretty good deal considering. We booked it before we looked at trip advisor, and, after reading the reviews on here we set our expectations low, but we ended up being pleasantly suprised!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Recently, I was planning a trip to Santa Barbara with a friend. Because of the bad reviews on Trip Advisor, we booked another hotel. During our stay, we decided to visit Ala Mar and check out the accomodations first hand. The desk clerk, Armando, graciously allowed us to see one of the rooms. The is an older motel but the rooms were just fine and definitely a good value for the price. Also, very convenient to the pier and local restaurants. We will not hesitate to book a room at this motel the next time we go to Santa Barbara.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Staff were helpful but that is it... believe the negative reviews of this motel... it was dirty and dismal... room featured sticky old carpet, dirty bed clothes and general grime everywhere... the cleaners need sacking!! The shower was pretty powerful BUT afterwards the bathroom smelt of sewage.. the bathroom floors and walls were filthy... have they not heard of a damp cloth?!

When I asked if they had a pool the guy said that the hotel next door does and we might be able to use theirs... when I asked if I could buy a beer he directed me to... the hotel next door!! To be fair he went and got me the beer...

The internet didnt' work, the place didn't seem too secure and the terrace which did have a great view was dirty and covered in beer bottles...

Only redeeming feature of this place is the location which is great... My wife and kids wanted to sleep in the car!!! Book somewhere else... for your own sake...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family