See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Our hotel stay was awful!!!!Our hotel room did not have a working air conditioner. The weekend we staid in Santa Barbara was very hot, every time we left the room and came back it was hotter in the room than outside. Instead of an air conditioner, they had a small mini fan that did not cool down the room at all. They provided only two towels and no hand towels or wash cloths. One day we failed to request maid service and I went to ask to exchange our dirty towels. The girl refused to provide us with clean towels and said we had to wait until the next day when the maid service came around. I proceeded to explain to her that we did not have any clean towels and she still refused to provide us with clean towels. The price for the hotel room was not worth it given the condition of the room and the poor service. Our last time in Santa Barbara we staid at a Motel 6, which was a lot cheaper and nicer than this hotel. Save yourself some money and stay at another hotel!!!!

Date of stay: August 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank babyretta_99
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Overpriced, shabby, noisy. Long-suffering staff tries to overcome problems caused by owner and poor management.

Date of stay: July 2007
3  Thank SanFran4me
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Not the best, bot not as bad as some of the reviews. Our room was clean enough, the location was excellent and i wouldn't rule out staying here again.

Date of stay: June 2007
2  Thank southsider1972
Reviewed July 2, 2007

This hotel!!! if you can call it that is disguisting.Stayed here in the middle of our 2 week holiday . We did not pre book this hotel and payed far more than a top hotel in las vegas!.The tiles were missing of the shower cubical. Only had one dim light what worked in the bedroom. The sockets were falling off the wall and hey when we arrived in the room the heating was on .I tryed to turn it off but the thermostat fell of the wall and i got an electric shock! The engineer then came and turned the pilot light out... wasnt sure whether carbon monoxide fumes were luming so slept with the windows well opened. Everytime a train went by the building moved .. whether or not it was my imagination or not or was the place really haunted!! Breakfast was ok but checked out staight after that..Watch out for the rooms on the top floor my husband put his foot straight through the rotten wooden walkway..I have never wrote a review on any hotel before and I do not complain but believe me do not stop here..BATES MOTEL!!

Date of stay: May 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank sd_donuky
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Here were the best things about my stay at the Ala Mar: drinking wine and eating snacks on the upper deck overlooking the beach, being allowed to wander over to the Villa Rosa for a dip in their hot tub (they're affiliated properties), and location. Location is key. It was a block or two away from State Street, and just across the street from the ocean -- a stone's throw from Stearns Wharf.

I am a stickler for a clean bathroom, and this one failed to impress. There were spots on the grout in the shower. It wasn't sparkling, but it was just tolerable.

The room was tidy and had two queen beds, but little room for anything else. Normally this is not a problem for me, but for $200 per night in late October, I was hoping for more. It looked bigger in the picture.

Lastly, I did not appreciate the amorous advances from one of the hotel staff towards my boyfriend. It was clear that he was with me, which should not only have made him visibly off-limits, but explicitly HETEROSEXUAL.

Date of stay: October 2003