“No A/C, Noisy Room”
Review of Montecito Inn

Montecito Inn
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed July 26, 2005

I've never stayed in a hotel in Southern California that does not have A/C at this price point. The room was too hot, even when it was only 75 degrees outside in the day. Also there was quite a lot of noise from the kitchen below even during a weekday.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank AAASelector
There are newer reviews for Montecito Inn

Reviewed May 14, 2005

We have been going yearly for the last 20 years plus. They re-model on a regular basis and we love the restaurant the Montecito Grill/Restaurant, great food reasonable prices.

Stayed: February 2005
1  Thank Sam & Patrish
A TripAdvisor Member
Novato, CA
Reviewed March 6, 2005

I would advise not to stay on a weekend night because they often have entire wedding parties staying at the hotel and the whole place echoes footsteps, doors slamming, people laughing and yelling. I wasn't able to sleep for 3 hours and finally called down to the desk. They said that they had been getting a lot of calls and the party had been advised to quiet down. In the morning we mentioned our terrible night's sleep again and a different staff member said that that party was not as loud as their average wedding parties (which is a horrible reply and will never get me to stay there again). And he mentioned that if I had called, he would have done something about it. I did call, but apparently he was not aware that the guests of the hotel were terribly annoyed. We stayed in a suite our first night which is right on the street where the bus comes by very loudly and often. The decoration of all rooms is "early Caesars Palace" and needs some up-dating. A waste of your money.

• Stayed: February 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

This hotel was great! With it's nostalgic feel, romantic, and overall great service, great staff. We had a great time. We strongly recommend this hotel. Enjoy and treat yourself to a fun stay. My wife and I plan to return soon.

1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed January 4, 2005

It was a quaint, cute hotel. The room key was a nice touch. The staff is pleasant, esp. the valet. We were there for 1 night on New Year's, and the X'mas decor on the fireplace adds to the charm. The complimentary breakfast is just juice and pastries, but free regardless. Ask for the newly renovated room, quiet (Coast Village Drive side), and higher floor. I got all that I asked for. It's an old hotel, so the walls are thin and the floors are creaky. The room is cozy. Bathroom is small for 2 people, but no big deal. Great deal for the price. Will definitely come back there again during cool season.

2  Thank Ligaya72
Reviewed December 28, 2004

I stayed here solo on a recent trip to my beloved Santa Barbara. I was a bit daunted by some of the negative reviews I read of this place. However, upon checking in and seeing the beautiful, charming and well appointed room, I was won over. Everything was very tastefully decorated, looks much better than the website pics and was not a large room (I opted for the standard Queen bed room), but was not that small either. However, the bathroom was very small and there was no tub, that was one of the few complaints I had about this hotel, I would have preferred a tub. Most standard rooms have a shower only, but combo bath and shower are available in other rooms. Another problem was the street noise from rooms facing the Coast Village Road. I guess most rooms must face the downtown Montecito street, as I asked to be moved to a quieter room and it wasn't much better. However, with my ear plugs, it was quite bearable. Sometimes too, I could hear my neighbors in the room next door.

The smallness of the bathroom and street noise were not deal breakers however, and I booked another stay here on my return trip from Northern California back to San Diego. The staff I found to be quite pleasant and accomodating and seemed eager to please. The cafe in the hotel was also quite nice and good food too. I would say overall, the charm of the place, kind staff and beauty of the hotel which I would describe as low-key elegance have earned them another regular client. I would recommend consulting Expedia for great rates on this hotel (I got the room for $133 instead of the usual $225 price). I would definitely recommend this for a romantic getaway and a lovely, historical hotel experience rather than as a family hotel. Oh, just as a point of interest, Charlie Chaplin built this place back in 1928 as a getaway for his Hollywood friends on the weekends. Actor Fatty Arbuckle bankrolled the hotel and there are constant reminders of their former presence throughout the place in the form of old movie posters and memoralbilia. Great place.

3  Thank cjennt
A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed December 16, 2004

I had a great vacation in Santa Barbara and staying at this hotel. The rooms are all newly redesigned and look great. Reasonably priced too. This place is so adorable! Everyone was so sweet and accommodating. The street the hotel is located on is just wonderful! The hotel is just a few blocks from the beach or a street filled with boutiques and fabulous restaurants! I just loved it there!