“Just What I Expected”
Review of Montecito Inn

Montecito Inn
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed January 4, 2005

It was a quaint, cute hotel. The room key was a nice touch. The staff is pleasant, esp. the valet. We were there for 1 night on New Year's, and the X'mas decor on the fireplace adds to the charm. The complimentary breakfast is just juice and pastries, but free regardless. Ask for the newly renovated room, quiet (Coast Village Drive side), and higher floor. I got all that I asked for. It's an old hotel, so the walls are thin and the floors are creaky. The room is cozy. Bathroom is small for 2 people, but no big deal. Great deal for the price. Will definitely come back there again during cool season.

2  Thank Ligaya72
Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed December 28, 2004

I stayed here solo on a recent trip to my beloved Santa Barbara. I was a bit daunted by some of the negative reviews I read of this place. However, upon checking in and seeing the beautiful, charming and well appointed room, I was won over. Everything was very tastefully decorated, looks much better than the website pics and was not a large room (I opted for the standard Queen bed room), but was not that small either. However, the bathroom was very small and there was no tub, that was one of the few complaints I had about this hotel, I would have preferred a tub. Most standard rooms have a shower only, but combo bath and shower are available in other rooms. Another problem was the street noise from rooms facing the Coast Village Road. I guess most rooms must face the downtown Montecito street, as I asked to be moved to a quieter room and it wasn't much better. However, with my ear plugs, it was quite bearable. Sometimes too, I could hear my neighbors in the room next door.

The smallness of the bathroom and street noise were not deal breakers however, and I booked another stay here on my return trip from Northern California back to San Diego. The staff I found to be quite pleasant and accomodating and seemed eager to please. The cafe in the hotel was also quite nice and good food too. I would say overall, the charm of the place, kind staff and beauty of the hotel which I would describe as low-key elegance have earned them another regular client. I would recommend consulting Expedia for great rates on this hotel (I got the room for $133 instead of the usual $225 price). I would definitely recommend this for a romantic getaway and a lovely, historical hotel experience rather than as a family hotel. Oh, just as a point of interest, Charlie Chaplin built this place back in 1928 as a getaway for his Hollywood friends on the weekends. Actor Fatty Arbuckle bankrolled the hotel and there are constant reminders of their former presence throughout the place in the form of old movie posters and memoralbilia. Great place.

3  Thank cjennt
California
Reviewed December 16, 2004

I had a great vacation in Santa Barbara and staying at this hotel. The rooms are all newly redesigned and look great. Reasonably priced too. This place is so adorable! Everyone was so sweet and accommodating. The street the hotel is located on is just wonderful! The hotel is just a few blocks from the beach or a street filled with boutiques and fabulous restaurants! I just loved it there!

Orange County, California
Reviewed December 7, 2004

My wife and I spent our 5 year anniversary at this charming and captivating hotel just days ago. The second we walked into this quaint hotel we were welcomed by an extremely helpful and friendly staff. This hotel far exceeded any expectations we thought to have. The suites and luxury rooms are beautiful and romantic. And because we booked a suite, we received our continental breakfast in bed at no charge at all! The location is great. Shops and great restaurants right out the door. No need to even go to downtown Santa Barbara if you’re staying in Montecito. We will definitely be returning to this great find.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lowell Arkansas
Reviewed November 26, 2004

If you stay at the Montecito Inn in the summer,do not get a room upstairs on the west side of the the inn unless you like the heat. There is no air conditioning and the heat comes off the parking garage below.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 4, 2004

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Montecito Inn. First, the location is quite pleasant, removed from the center of Santa Barbara but with many shops and restaurants a short walk away. The hotel was charming and old-fashioned. My room was rather small but the bed was fantastically comfortable. The staff was pleasant and helpful and I appreciated the lobby coffee/tea stand that was available around the clock. The only drawback for me was the noise issue--- I could hear televisions and some conversations from other rooms--my solution was an open window with the white noise of the freeway helping to deafen the other noise. The valet parking is free!And the valet staff was very helpful with directions. And the continental breakfast is included in the room rate and is constantly replenished from 7am til 10 AM---you can help yourself and bring it back to your room or else eat your breakfast in the lobby area, out by the pool ar in the restaurant. My room also had a small fridge which was useful for soft drinks etc and there are a couple of shops nearby to stock up.

1  Thank SRfromNY
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2004

Not knowing where to stay in Santa Barbara, I found the Montecito Inn on the internet. My expectations were high based on what I read and was looking forward to staying here. Unfortunately, our room had no AC and the air did not circulate during our stay when temperatures were in the 80's day/70's evening. Room was at least 10 degrees warmer than outside. As a result, we did not get to enjoy this cozy quant room with its new decor. The queen-bed room was adverstised on Montecito's website at $225, which they discounted to me over the phone at $185. I was able to find a lower rate via the internet. If I had paid the asking price of Montecito I would have been very upset. Spend your $$ elsewhere. If you do decide to stay at this hotel make sure to get a room on the Coast Village side. One side of the bldg faces 101 and the other faces Coast Village. Bring your CD's to drown out any noise if you are a sensitive sleeper. Pool and jacuzzi are very nice with beautiful flowers on the deck.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member