“Loved this place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Loved this place”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Eagle Inn is a gem. This place is very romantic and quiet. The service was great. Thanks to Nick and Laura. We stayed in San Nicholas and Santa Barbara rooms. They were comfortable and quiet. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LAXbuzz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I stayed in Room 109, which is a ground floor room with two queen beds. It was a large room with a wood floor furnished with a desk and 2 large comfortable faux-leather chairs. There was a wall heater (which worked moderately well on a night when it got into the low 50s) and a ceiling fan. The room had a balcony which, being on the ground floor, was rather like sitting out on the front porch (not so private, but better than nothing and we sat outside to eat breakfast there instead of in the breakfast room). My only real complaint is that the room had recently been remodeled and so the smell of paint was thick in the air. We woke up with headaches. I imagine this will soon subside.

The entry hall to the room could have used some curtains (all the other windows have plantation shutters, but that one was open for the world to see inside unless you close the interior door). Also, there is a large freestanding safe. I used this, but I would have felt better had it been bolted to the wall. Perhaps it was bolted to the floor. I couldn't tell.

Everything looked clean and new, including the comfy microfiber bedding. The beds were very comfortable. TV was old-style tube, but the cable worked so I have no complaints. The bathroom was immaculate and recently remodeled. Bath products were Swedish and of good quality for this price point. Water pressure was excellent. Bath towels were not top quality, but were very clean and numerous.

Complimentary breakfast was much better than some reviews describe. It consisted of Yoplait yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, muffins, danishes, milk, orange juice, and a good selection of fresh fruit as well as coffee and tea. There was real dishware, but one could also take disposable dishware.

Parking was tight, but we did find a spot. The neighborhood looks scary at night, but the location is actually pretty good. If I had to park on the street I would not be thrilled, but it's probably safe to do so. There are many, many motels and inns in the immediate area. It is a 2 block walk to West Beach and a quick walk to Stearns Wharf should you wish to go there. I would not walk to State Street. It's just a little bit too far unless you want to make a day out of it. Our room looked onto the street, but it was exceedingly quiet. I did hear a train whistle in the once, but it sounded muffled and distant. I worried about a lot of noise with Santa Barbara City College so close but, but those concerns proved unfounded.

Be aware that this place does not have an elevator (unless I missed it) if you are on an upper floor. The lobby is staffed until 10pm, which is fairly late for a hotel of this size. This means you can check in late, which is a huge plus for me. There is no room service nor is there any pool. Rooms with a fireplace or whirlpool tub sound divine. Maybe I'll try one next time. A nice find.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank dvg_loves_cali
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We wanted to get away for a night, we live in the LA area with Santa Barbara a little over an hour away. We booked the Santa Barbara cottage for a night, after viewing pictures on their site. Our plans didn’t go as we thought they would, so we didn’t check in until just a little after 8pm thanks to LA traffic. Not anyone’s fault other than our own, but when we tried to extend the 11am check out time they wouldn’t bulge. The girl at the front tried telling us that they had another party checking in that evening which I knew wasn’t true (when we were first checking in she asked me if I wanted to extend our stay by another night). I didn’t mind paying a late check out fee, so we could enjoy the beautiful room until lunch time, but after she lied to us I changed my mind. I’m really big on customer service and making your clients happy by taking additional steps. Although they did give us a complimentary goody bag with chips/water/and granola bars, that wasn’t good enough. Hence, only 4 stars from us.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KLAFamily
Portarlington, Ireland
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night & enjoyed our stay. Room was spotless, roomy & had a very nice large bed. After getting directions & restaurant recommendations from the front desk we walked to State Street & had a great meal & night out.
After checking out we parked off State St to shop & have a good look around. Santa Barbara is a very nice town, friendly people & very clean so will visit hotel & town again.

Colorado
Reviewed October 9, 2009

What a wonderful surprise we had when we first drove up to the Eagle Inn!! We had seen pictures, but they did not do it justice! Its a beautiful inn surrounded by flowering vines, trees and plants. Our room was charming, very clean and had a fireplace as well as an adorable balcony where we sat every evening to have a glass of wine before walking to dinner. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and had answers for all of our questions. And Paul (the innkeeper?) was always around and happy to cater to our needs. Breakfast was more than adequate and served in a bright, sunny room ~ the perfect way to start the day. We borrowed a couple of the Inn's cruiser bikes to ride along the beach and around town. We hope to get back to Santa Barbara and we'll definitely stay at the Eagle Inn!!

1 Thank Shelly54
Montreal
Reviewed September 29, 2009

This hotel was more than expected. The location was ideal. 2 blocks from the beach and 3 blocks from State Street. We entered our room and saw rose petals on the bed!! What a surprise. We also had a card congratulating us on our anniversary. We also received some complimentary chocolate, fruit, chips and water. We were very happy with the attention. We also borrowed bicycles from the hotel to cycle around town. They loan out the bicycles to their guests at no charge. There were always homemade cookies and coffee in the lobby in the afternoon and on that Friday evening we also had a complimentary wine tasting. Super, super super!!! The hotel was quiet, clean and the other guests were also friendly.

1 Thank RosieSig
san diego
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I reviewed over a dozen different places to stay for a romantic getaway with my hubby and that was affordable. Eagle Inn did not let me down. I booked a delux king room and was not very excited but thought I had picked the best from the options in SB. Upon check in we were upgraded to the "Anacapa" cottage. What a treat, very cute, very clean, and with a little patio in front for sipping wine under the stars. What a value and what a surprise. Definately a go to when we go back and need a nice but affordable place to stay.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo