“Wonderful place to relax in Santa Barbara”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Eagle Inn

The Eagle Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Las Vegas
“Wonderful place to relax in Santa Barbara”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at The Eagle Inn. What a wonderful place to relax and get away from your daily hustle. The rooms are unique, lovely decorated and with the whirlpool for 2 you enjoy your private spa in the room. Our room came also with a fire place. The beds are comfortable and the rooms were super clean every day. After a day of holiday adventures we had a drink on our private balcony and watched the sun set. Also we had a little kitchenette with a fridge, microwave, dishes and glasses.The location is close to the beach and downtown, easy to walk, quiet at night. The staff are so friendly and with their personal charm we felt like family. Our days started with a delicious breakfast which changed daily and newspapers. Fresh fruits, orange juice, coffee or tea, souffle, yoghurt, bagel - great choices! The Eagle Inn is more than a B&B, it's an oasis. We will come back for sure!

Room Tip: If you are looking for an extra romantic spot - book a cottage
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
surferpaul, General Manager at The Eagle Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Ahhh the sunset on the balcony sounds like perfection! Thanks for your visit. Looking forward to seeing you both again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Switzerland, Fla.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our one night stay in Santa Barbara was made more pleasant because of our stay at the Eagle Inn. It was easy to find, and they have a free parking lot. Check-in was smooth, and our room was on the second floor with a large balcony overlooking the street in front of the hotel. It had two lounge chairs, an umbrella- topped table and a some chairs. We loved sitting out there to watch sunset, drink some Calif. red wine, and enjoy the cool weather.
The room was a good size, with a fireplace, closet with ironing board/iron,microwave and small refrigerator. The frig. however made a loud humming sound, so we had to unplug it before going to bed. There was a small desk near the door, a queen bed, and flat screen TV in the corner.(Needs to be mounted on the wall) The bathroom was very small, and there were no towel bars. Since we were only staying one night it wasn't a problem. The AC cycled on & off all night, but we were so tired from walking/biking/sightseeing,...we did sleep well.The hotel provides free bicycles. It was very quiet outside at night.
In the afternnoons they put out homemade chocolate chip cookies that were YUMMY ! The breakfast is served in a small room near the front of the hotel. You have a choice of two main dishes, and are served by a waitress.0ur server was very friendly and cheery, and the food was very good.
We were able to easily walk from the Eagle Inn to the strand(sidewalk) which parallets the ocean, and the State Street area to shop, have a cocktail, and eat dinner. The weather was cool and we thoroughly enjoyed our stroll. (please be aware that Santa Barbara has a very large homeless population on the streets at night)
The Eagle Inn was perfect for us, and being one block from the ocean and docks was a plus. We will stay here again for sure. Go whale watching and visit Lotusland if time allows!

Room Tip: Reserve a balcony room if available
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We recently stayed at The Eagle Inn for three nights during our California Road trip and for us it was totally relaxing as well as being perfectly situated in Santa Barbara.

The location is terrific, being one block from West Beach, the harbour and Stearns Wharf, and just a short ten minute walk to State Street and downtown Santa Barbara.
We had room no. 220 at The Eagle Inn which was beautifully appointed throughout with the added attraction of it having a spacious outdoor private verandah with tables, chairs and two sun loungers. Somewhere to catch the late afternoon sun after a day whale watching or downtown shopping or to enjoy late night glass of wine.

All the members of staff we came across were friendly and helpful and made a huge contribution towards the cozy, relaxed atmosphere there.
Breakfasts were also very good, with the option of scrambled eggs, etc, rather than the bland continental breakfasts offered at a lot of US Inn.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the delightful Eagle Inn which in our opinion is the perfect place to stay in lovely Santa Barbara.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

A complete, hot breakfast was served on our patio - the best we had in our 4 week road trip ! The room was very good and well priced. We will stay here again.
The place is just off the beach and very quiet at night.

Room Tip: Loved our patio !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brianneudorf
Richmond, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Me and my wife love Santa Barbara, The Eagle Inn is the best place to have a quiet cozy weekend, the staff is awesome! We had a chance to meet the owner, you can tell he is in charge of every single detail in his hotel. You can tell he is always working on ways to make your experience more enjoy full.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoseLomeliV
surferpaul, General Manager at The Eagle Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your nice review. You're right, we're always striving to improve our guests' experience. I'm happy to hear that you noticed!
Looking forward to your next visit. See you then!
Paul
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I just spent another night at this hotel -- I've stayed here often because it's in a perfect location, the staff is always friendly, and the breakfasts are very good! This trip we ended up with a charming room on the second floor that had a gas fireplace plus a lovely patio with two chaise lounges and a table for four with an umbrella. We invited some friends over for some wine at sunset and the setting was just fabulous. (Room 220). Whenever I'm in Santa Barbara, I always try to stay at the Eagle Inn because it's located walking distance from the pier and the harbor, one block from West Beach, and very close to terrific local "foodie" places (Brophy Brothers at the Harbor is worth the wait they always seem to have for a table). The Eagle Inn staff is alway very welcoming and the owner (Paul) makes a point of making sure our stay is the best it can be. Thank you Eagle Inn! I can't wait to go back (again!).

Room Tip: Ask for room 220 if you want a nice large patio with a partial ocean view. The rooms in the cottage...
1 Thank Sarah P
surferpaul, General Manager at The Eagle Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thanks so much for coming to stay with us again! It is always great to see you. There's so much to do in Santa Barbara. Who could ever get tired of coming back? Better make the next visit longer!
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

When we arrived at the Eagle Inn, we were pretty excited. It's in a great location just a couple of blocks from the beach and just a few minutes to get to the bottom of State Street (where the majority of the restaurants are) This is a beautiful place. The rooms are very cool and the bathroom has beautiful tile.

We encountered three different people at the front desk over our two-night stay. Two of them were friendly and helpful, and the third seemed to have a chip on her shoulder whenever we asked her how long it would to take to walk somewhere. She was also the same person who told us to look for a menu from a recommended restaurant I mentioned, in the rack filled with a hundred menus. When I told her I couldn't find it, she said, "It's in there, keep looking." If someone told me they couldn't find something, I would have gotten up out of my comfy chair and helped them. Maybe that's just me. But I think that's what great customer service is all about. We also asked if she knew the hours for the tours at the Santa Barbara Mission and she said they had a tourist book on the chair with the info. She pointed over towards the book. Once again, maybe it's me, but if I am in a town where the Mission is one of the most visited attractions, I would probably want to memorize the hours, prices, and other tidbits about the place. Or at least have a handy cheat-sheet with info about the local popular attractions so I can quickly and easily answer questions from the guests.

The breakfast was included with our room. The coffee is possibly the worst coffee I have ever had. Absolutely no taste whatsoever. This is not a buffet-style breakfast they offer. They have a main dish for everyone. Or, the main dish does not sound appetizing to you, you can choose the yogurt with granola.The first morning they offered an egg souffle, which I took two bites of and stopped eating. All plates came with some fruit which was decent and some juice, which was from concentrate. I did not finish the juice either. The next morning, they offered a quiche as the main entree for breakfast, which we decided to pass on. We opted to walk down State Street about 10 or 12 blocks to Renaud's Patisserie and pay for a breakfast. That place was expensive but at least we were satisfied.

My biggest complaint was the bed and pillows. Now keep in mind, I am reviewing my room (Room 212). The pillows were so hard that we both woke up with sore necks. The next day, we asked for a new set of pillows and they were slightly better, but not by much. What's worse, though, is that my wife's side of the bed was not even so she woke up with a pinched nerve in her lower back. It has been 3 days since we've been back and she has been going to therapy and the jacuzzi every day. I have to help her dress and go to the bathroom. She has to work on Monday, so we'll see how that goes.

Obviously, I don't know about the condition of the other beds on the place. But my recommendation to the Eagle Inn is to improve the comfort of the beds, the pillows, the breakfast, and the coffee. People who love coffee LOVE coffee. They want a good cup. I think they were bragging that it was a local coffee house in Santa Barbara that supplied their coffee, but we certainly were not impressed. if you want to brag, get some Starbucks or Pete's Coffee in there.

It pains me to write this review, but I thought everyone should know our experience.

By the way, best restaurant we found was an Italian place on State Street called Pascucci. Awesome food, very reasonable prices, and friendly staff.

3 Thank ramooi
Thank you for your review. One of the first things I check on after opening my computer every morning is to read guest comments on Trip Advisor. I was particularly concerned about your interaction with one of our front desk staff. I am discussing your comment with all of our staff in order to determine why the staff member acted as you describe.
Your comments about the breakfast surprised me because we have very positive feedback from guests. Two years ago we used to provide a buffet style breakfast consisting of bagels, cereal, fruit juice and coffee; which is what most hotels in Santa Barbara provide, if they provide anything at all. We now serve a home-made hot breakfast for our guests which varies every day from quiche to eggs, to bagels & lox etc. etc. Our coffee is by a local coffee house which earns great reviews. We don't like to serve franchise store coffee, as most guests like to experience Santa Barbara sights, sounds and tastes when they are visiting.
We realize that a hotel can't please everyone 100% of the time, but we do work our hardest to keep our guest satisfaction rate as high as possible.
I understand your note about the pillows and the bed. Everyone has a favorite type of pillow and I'm pleased that we were able to offer you something more to your liking. The bed is a high quality pillow-top Serta mattress made especially for the hotel industry to specifications which suit the majority of people. In the three years since this bed was purchased, yours is the only negative comment.