“a disappointment”

Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
temecula
“a disappointment”
Reviewed August 17, 2007

The Upham was a disappointment. The staff was very unfriendly and not helpful at all. When we asked for an extra comforter (for our friend who was sleeping on the fold out couch) they told us they didn't have any. At check out, we mentioned to the manager that it might be nice to provide a comforter for the couch bed. She chastised us for not requesting one and informed us that of course they have extras. Even when we explained that we had asked the night manager for one she made it seem that it was our fault for not asking different people each day. There were other interactions that I won't list but I'd have to say that there service was the worst I've ever experienced. I've stayed at many B&Bs and Inns. The thing that makes them special is the personal touch, freindliness and pampering. I've had much better service in chain hotels that are half the cost. With Santa Barbara offering so many choices for B&Bs and Inns, I'd reccommend staying somewhere else. There were some good things about the Upham so here it is: The grounds of the Upham were beautiful and we enjoyed eating the filling breakfast outside. The location was nice - close to state street. We walked up and down State St. each night and even walked to the pier (which was a bit of a walk but we liked getting some exercise). The evening wine was nice but they should improve their "cookie" time. They put out stale Oreos and lukewarm milk. If they don't want to bake the cookies (like most inns do), at least provide a better quality of store-bought cookies. The parking lot is a bit of a challenge. If you have a large car - good luck. I had a camry and could barely squeeze in.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
Lichfield
Reviewed July 18, 2007

This is a hotel with style. Check in staff were pleasant and very helpful, and made telephone calls for us with no charge. The gardens are delightful, and the public rooms and facilities are of a high standard. Our cottage was very small, and the furniture was a bit tired. The bathroom was clean but needed a refit. From the garden, our entrance took us into a small enclosed patio, which was rather like sitting in a shed - what a pity there was no view of the garden. (I'm sure this couid have been achieved with some trellis rather than a solid fence).
The hotel restaurant was very good, as was the buffet breakfast.
In spite of the criticisms, we would recommend this hotel, and next time would ask for an updated room with garden view.

• Liked — The gardens and public rooms
  • Disliked — the bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank retiredteacherstwo
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed June 26, 2007

A very nice B&B in a very nice setting with wonderfully balmy Pacific Coast Mediterranean climate and charm. The location is within easy walking distance to a substantial choice of restaurants. The bed has a great pillow top mattress with down pillows and a real down comforter just lite enough to keep one toasty during the gloriously cool evening. Landscaping is well groomed and the staff are friendly. Wine and cheese are served from the liberal afternoon hours of 4-7:30. So whats the beef? Room 61 is on the corner of the Garden building just above the outdoor seating for breakfast that starts at 7:00. If you want to sleep in, request a room further back in the building toward the parking area. Close the windows? No way. No A/C. As I said, if there is a wrinkle I'll be given it. Same with supermarket lines. My cross to bear. Otherwise a very pleasant experience.

• Liked — Quaint
  • Disliked — Room 61
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BugsyMalone
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Very pleasant, if a bit pricey. I stayed in one of the nearby cottages the hotel maintains, though it's all part of one operation and guests at the cottage can use the facilities in the main house. The room was clean and well maintained, if a little small, and looked out onto a pleasant little garden that smelled of jasmine. The staff was very nice and the sitting areas are more like a big family home than a hotel. If I had a complaint, it would be the location - it is a few blocks off State Street, but way up past the top end of the fun little downtown area, around the 1300 block of State Street. As a result, getting around the area on foot, particularly down to the waterfront, is tiring and time consuming. It is easily a 40 minute walk down to the pier. If you don't mind driving or taking the city's electric shuttle to get to many of the city's attractions, however, this is a nice little choice.

• Liked — Charm
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Seanibus
Santa Barbara
Reviewed March 26, 2007

It was a little over a year ago that my boyfriend and I stayed here for a romantic weekend (We both live in SB now but he didn't before) and my memories of our stay are very fond. They have great cottages that are perfect for anyone who likes to feel that they have there "own little place" for the weekend. The bed was truly comfortable and the restaurant (Louie's) is excellent. I have to say it was an GREAT value compared with a lot of other Santa Barbara Establishments. Basically it's more cozy than a hotel, but with classic decor thats not as busy as your typical B&B Ask for the AAA discount, I remember that making quite a good deal.

• Liked — the yummy bed
  • Disliked — I honestly can't say
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovetheworldgirl
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 9, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Upham for 3 nights last week. We got a buy-two-nights-get-one-free deal through the hotel (Sun-Thurs only). We originally booked the cheapest type of room ($195 a night). The room was pleasant but very small, and so we decided to splurge and upgrade to a "junior suite" for $265. It was worth the extra money (especially given the free night) since the room was much more spacious, with a separate sitting room with a closable door (helpful when one of us was more jet-lagged than the other and needed to read). Both rooms had a very nice, private, outdoor deck, perfect for breakfast or afternoon wine. The bathroom was fine, nothing special or atrocious. The TV was fairly old and made an annoying high-pitched ringing noise -- they could stand to update the TVs.

We found the staff to be friendly, not always super-knowledgable but tried to help as much as they could when we had questions about local attractions, etc. As a previous reviewer said, breakfasts were fine but not great -- some pastries that tasted homemade but a little stale, cold cereal, fruit, cheese, etc. In the afternoons they have wine and cheese but both were unexciting. We didn't try the restaurant.

The hotel is a short walk from the north end of the commercial corridor on State Street, but quite a long walk (30 minutes or so) from the marina.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay and found it to be worth the money we paid, but if we had to pay full price I might try somewhere else before going back.

Stayed March 2007
5 Thank larrys610
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 15, 2006

I originally booked a stay at the Upham and was dissatisfied after only one night. They offered to switch me to the Tiffany and I quickly agreed. I'm a seasoned B&B traveler and I definitely think this is a cozy, above average inn. However, as the others commented before me, breakfast was lacking as compared to other B&Bs. I was fortunate enough to stay there when Roxanne, one of several rotating innkeepers was there. She was warm and helpful.

I came on a weekday and they were willing to give me a break on the room. I wouldn't have stayed here otherwise. I stayed in the Victoria Room which was nice but there is some noise from the auto shop next door. I toured the honeymoon suite in the attic and it's fabulous but super pricey ($550/night). If you can get a deal, this is the room to have!

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Mediocre breakfast.
  • Tips/Secrets — Haggle for decent room price.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple