The Upham was a disappointment. The staff was very unfriendly and not helpful at all. When we asked for an extra comforter (for our friend who was sleeping on the fold out couch) they told us they didn't have any. At check out, we mentioned to the manager that it might be nice to provide a comforter for the couch bed. She chastised us for not requesting one and informed us that of course they have extras. Even when we explained that we had asked the night manager for one she made it seem that it was our fault for not asking different people each day. There were other interactions that I won't list but I'd have to say that there service was the worst I've ever experienced. I've stayed at many B&Bs and Inns. The thing that makes them special is the personal touch, freindliness and pampering. I've had much better service in chain hotels that are half the cost. With Santa Barbara offering so many choices for B&Bs and Inns, I'd reccommend staying somewhere else. There were some good things about the Upham so here it is: The grounds of the Upham were beautiful and we enjoyed eating the filling breakfast outside. The location was nice - close to state street. We walked up and down State St. each night and even walked to the pier (which was a bit of a walk but we liked getting some exercise). The evening wine was nice but they should improve their "cookie" time. They put out stale Oreos and lukewarm milk. If they don't want to bake the cookies (like most inns do), at least provide a better quality of store-bought cookies. The parking lot is a bit of a challenge. If you have a large car - good luck. I had a camry and could barely squeeze in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara