“Charming”

The Upham Hotel & Country House
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed September 7, 2006

Very nice hotel with a country/victorian decor. We were given a spacious room in the main building, with sofa and a writing desk. Parking and breakfast are included, but the latter is so-so.
The location is very convenient: very quiet but just a brief walk away from the center of Santa Barbara.

7  Thank sweetjuly

Reviewed September 5, 2006

We checked into the Penthouse and realized two things immediately... this was absolutely the only room in the place I wpuld have been happy with for over $200.00 per night and since it's the only room that is airconditioned... its the only " sure thing" in the summer. The other rooms looked clean but shabby and they were not even pretty or handsome... the carpets and furniture looked tired in the other rooms... saw them all.

The Penthouse Suite was beautiful... comfy couch, nice outdoor patio, Jacuzzi tub... spacious and just perfect.

Except for the hair in the tub. I cannot get past the hair in the tub. They quickly respnded to my complaint... but it sure grossed me out and I never felt comfortable after that.

The breakfast, as another poster mentionedd, was so-so. The serving of oatmeal, although tasty was plain and served with no milk. The scrambled eggs were fine, but served alone on a plate.. no fruit, no meat... just eggs.. not even a garnish! The pastries were great , as was the fresh oj and good coffee.

I would only go back if this one room ws offered at $250.00 or under. Unfortunately I paid a slight bit more than that.

I still can't get past the hairs in the tub.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank beachtravel
Reviewed September 4, 2006

After a day of wine tasting, we checked into the Upham and loved every minute of it.

The lobby always has a treat at any given time. In the morning its pastries, coffee or juice. In the afternoon its a glass of lemonade or maybe some white wine. In the evening Oreos and milk. It was great seeing kids coloring in the lobby with a plate of Oreos and milk right beside them. Its the little things that make the Upham so charming.

Our room was perfect. For less than $200 we got a comfy room (not huge but rather cozy). To compensate for a smaller room, the bathroom was much larger than expected and I'd rather have a larger bathroom so it doesn't feel like I'm showering in a closet.

Dinner at Louie's (the hotel restaurant) was a nice experience as well. Moderately priced if you don't order wine with your dinner. After a day of drinking wine, I settled on an ice tea for dinner.

All in all, the hotel was great. I'd love to have our same room when we go back to SB.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank ShakeItFast
Reviewed August 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Upham several times. We love this hotel. It has the quaint feel of a Bed and Breakfast, yet is so much larger than a typical B&B that it also feels like a boutique hotel. The rooms are decorated very elegantly, so it does not have the homemade feel of a B&B with doilies and old bedspreads, etc. The grounds are very nice with a grassy area and chairs in the middle of the hotel. The breakfast is very nice and full, as is the wine/cheese hour and evening milk/cookies. The fireplace sitting area is very relaxing for reading the paper or a favorite novel. I am planning another trip to SB and am sad we won't be staying at the Upham since we now have a toddler and need a larger room. I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat to anyone (without children).

• Stayed: July 2004, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sstlouis
Reviewed August 1, 2006

One of the things you look for in a bed and breakfast is a decent breakfast. You won't get that here. The woman who check us in couldn't wait to leave for the day; in fact she said "what took you so long? I've been waiting for you" in not a nice way. She practically threw us into our room and bolted. Breakfast was a choice of bad pastries or oatmeal and no fresh fruit besides a bowl of apples that looked old. Our room was miniscule and the shower needs updating; you could barey turn around in it. No hooks for towels. Never again.

2  Thank wethuiop
A TripAdvisor Member
san diego
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I arrived in town quite late on June 29th and checked into the Upham around 11 pm. When I arrived in the room it was approximately ninety degrees inside. Considering a shower and cool off I discovered that I did not have any towels in the bathroom. After calling the front desk three times, I had to dress and leave my room to request towels personally. Your office staff did accommodate my request. The following morning at approximately 7:30 am I awoke to the sound of a weed whacker trimming the hedge immediately outside the door of my room. After thirty minutes of trying to sleep through the noise I gave up and went to breakfast. The weed whacking continued through the rest of the morning until I checked out.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

As a freelance writer and photographer, I'm always amazed when a place exceeds our expectations. Such is the case with the Upham. I'd stayed here about 25 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at the updated decor and modern amenities. Our cottage was absolutely charming, giving us an expansive view of the grounds, birds and pristine landscaping. Sprinkled about were other patrons of the Upham, either reading, enjoying the wild life, or simply sipping a glass of wine.

Their Louie's Restaurant was also a pleasant surprise, and according to our engaging waiter, "Many customers come simply for the halibut, " which met our expectations. Sit outside on the verandah, and you can revel in the weather for which Santa Barbara is famous.

Built in 1871, history surrounds the Upham. You owe it to yourself to indulge yourself in this charming retreat.

Mary McGrath