“not too great”

Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
A TripAdvisor Member
“not too great”
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I arrived in town quite late on June 29th and checked into the Upham around 11 pm. When I arrived in the room it was approximately ninety degrees inside. Considering a shower and cool off I discovered that I did not have any towels in the bathroom. After calling the front desk three times, I had to dress and leave my room to request towels personally. Your office staff did accommodate my request. The following morning at approximately 7:30 am I awoke to the sound of a weed whacker trimming the hedge immediately outside the door of my room. After thirty minutes of trying to sleep through the noise I gave up and went to breakfast. The weed whacking continued through the rest of the morning until I checked out.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
Culver City, California
Reviewed July 5, 2006

As a freelance writer and photographer, I'm always amazed when a place exceeds our expectations. Such is the case with the Upham. I'd stayed here about 25 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at the updated decor and modern amenities. Our cottage was absolutely charming, giving us an expansive view of the grounds, birds and pristine landscaping. Sprinkled about were other patrons of the Upham, either reading, enjoying the wild life, or simply sipping a glass of wine.

Their Louie's Restaurant was also a pleasant surprise, and according to our engaging waiter, "Many customers come simply for the halibut, " which met our expectations. Sit outside on the verandah, and you can revel in the weather for which Santa Barbara is famous.

Built in 1871, history surrounds the Upham. You owe it to yourself to indulge yourself in this charming retreat.

Mary McGrath
Culver City Observer/Del Rey News

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank grathy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Talk about a beautiful hotel! The Upham has well-manicured lawns, well-appointed rooms with stylish antiques and a helpful staff, as well as some nice perks like a nice breakfast each morning (with pastries, hard-boiled eggs, cereal and coffee), wine and cheese in the afternoon and cookies and milk before bed.

Only thing I'd wish for is a different selection of cookies. When we stayed for two nights, both nights were Oreo cookie nights. I would've liked a change (or perhaps something fresh baked?) but that's a very minor thing. Overall, the Upham was very charming and I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly service, well appointed room, and little extras I received during my two night stay at the Upham. I received a good $150 walk-in rate for their lowest "Queen" room category -- and they were happy to let me check out the room first for noise level before committing. The room was cozy and quiet -- with definitely upscale furnishings comparable to a quality boutique hotel or country inn.

There are some additional little touches, like Oreo cookies and milk in the lounge at night, a variety of available newspapers in the morning, and outdoor garden seating areas which exceeded my expectations and made me feel like I had gotten a very good value for the money.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank tonymoco
Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed January 12, 2006

The Tiffany Country House is an (expensively) remodeled Victorian house, owned by the nearby Upham Hotel. There are 7 unique rooms, very clean and charming, with jacuzzi tubs and some with wood burning fireplaces.

Breakfast is a choice of two hot dishes, and a cold fruit and cereal buffet. Lovely veranda to dine in the morning sun. Evening wine and cheese buffet.

Easy walking distance to State Street and its restaurants.

We prefer the Tiffany over its sister property the Upham Hotel, which we also like but not as much as this charming place.

We are frequent vistors to Santa Barbara, and have stayed in many of its hotels, both large and small, expensive and not so expensive. We've decided this is the place.

11 Thank LLBean314
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 8, 2006

We enjoyed two nights at the Upham. The location is great to the main shopping area and a bit a of a walk to the beach. The service and room are were excellent. We loved the early eveing wine & cheese as well as the excellent continental breakfast. Give this place a try... I will go back!

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank dpat17
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 5, 2005

I just had dinner this week at the restaurant inside the Upham Hotel and don't get me wrong, the service once we got there was fine. The gentleman who helped us in the beginning was very nice and welcoming. However, after he served the food, he disappeared as well. Then we were stuck with the most rude server I had ever encountered. I am not actually sure if she was a server or one of the managers, since she was not in uniform, but whoever she was definitely needed an attitude adjustment. She cleared the table and when we asked for boxes for our leftovers she didn't acknowledge us at all. We were unsure if we were even going to get our leftovers back, but she did come through. When she finally handed us the check after about 20 minutes of waiting for that she ignored us completely and we ended up having to go to the bar to pay. I would understand if it was a busy night and she had a lot of customers, but it was a Wednesday night and there were only 4 tables occupied. Customer service is key especially in fine dining when you are already paying way too much to begin with. The food was excellent, but they definitely need to train their staff to be more attentive to their paying customers, especially when they are locals!

• Stayed October 2005