“Wonderful bed and breakfast experience in Santa Barbara”

The Upham Hotel & Country House
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Upham Country House over the Memorial Day weekend and enjoyed our stay immensely. The staff were very hospitable, and the included breakfast was absolutely wonderful. We had quiche and french toast on successive mornings, both of which were very tasty. We also took advantage of the nightly fresh baked cookies which were a treat after a day of roaming Santa Barbara's shops and restaurants.

The Upham Country House is located 2 blocks from State street, which allowed us to leave our car behind and explore the area on foot. It was a wonderful staging area for our day trips to explore the shops and restaurants. We were blocks away from several very good restaurants, and we were even able to walk to the Santa Barbara mission to enjoy an art festival.

Our room was very comfortable, with an in-suite fireplace and french windows opening up over a private garden. The sounds of the birds in the morning was very relaxing, and the private view left you feeling like you might be out in the country rather than 2 blocks from the heart of downtown Santa Barbara.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay and definitely plan on staying again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Todd T

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I don't know how these people do it. Year in, year out they deliver flawless and extra-friendly service. I've stayed at the Upham and at their annex - Country House - diagonally across the street. And because these are training programs I take, I stay for four nights. They claim to be Santa Barbara's oldest hotel in continuous operation. Walking distance to all points of interest in town. And on premises there's Louie's an excellent restaurant unrelated to the hotel.

Room Tip: At the Upham I prefer the rooms facing the inner courtyard that you reach via a rather tortuous path...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and couldn't have been more disappointed. I spent $306 a night to get free coffee and donuts in the morning, cold shower, loud road noise, very uncomfortable bed, and a super rude front desk lady this morning, April 13th. I decided I didn't want to stay here anymore so I am leaving. Don't recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Steven S
ManagerSantaBarbara, General Manager at The Upham Hotel & Country House, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

We are so sorry to learn of this guest's extreme disappointment but wonder if they, in fact have the right hotel. We have two properties, the Upham and the Country House. A very nice breakfast is served at each that includes a variety of our fresh baked breads, oatmeal, yogurt, juices, bagels and eggs. The Country House also serves a made to order hot entrée, nary a donut in sight.

It is very disturbing to us that the guest was with us for two nights and did not bring their complaints to our attention. We would have done our best to make them more comfortable for the remainder of their stay.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

It is a charming hotel that feels like a B&B. Breakfast is plentiful. There is wine and cheese during early evening hours, and milk and cookies in the evening. Lovely gardens, friendly staff. King room is a nice size. Queen , a bit small.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank adagiogirl
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Booked a night here for my in-laws 45th anniversary so they could be alone and I was very impressed with their experience!!! The staff went out of their way to make them feel special, upgraded their room for the occasion, had champagne on ice, they were greeted with a "happy anniversary" from the front desk the waiters and even the bartender . They came home raving about their experience and the beautiful grounds. I'm so thankful to the Upham for making sure the experience was memorable! I highly recommend this historic hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Toplove
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I spent one night at the Upham during the SB film festival weekend. I was very pleased with the grounds and clean/quiet room. We enjoyed some wine out on the nice patio and lawn. It was also the perfect location to walk to the downtown area for a very nice dinner. The breakfast was just OK because they did not offer any cooked options just more of a continental with cereal, oatmeal and fruit. But I would definitley come back.

Room Tip: Next time I would request a room in one of the separate buildings and not off the main house.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jaime P
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Inn was lovely overall as was the hospitality, offering a free light breakfast, wine and cheese from 4:30-7 and cookies and milk after that. My only complaint would be that the size and beauty of the room- at least our room, was a bit less than expected. Very clean yet slightly musty on our arrival - a little AC/heat helped overcome that problem. Still it was small room was small,rather dark and situated in a way that made it uncomfortable and difficult to watch tv from the bed. That may not be important to some but unfortunately it was kind of annoying for us. I would stay there again but I recommend getting more information about the room options rather than go with what you see on your computer screen.

Room Tip: Wish I could tell you!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple