We stayed in The Upham in June 2013 - this is our fifth straight year in this charming hotel. We had a corner room upstairs in the Coach House building and it was superb; peaceful, well-appointed and chic, with a touch of country house charm.
Service was, as ever, terrific. The hotel owner, Jan Martin-Winn, gave us a great lunch recommendation when we were checking out, and the new lady on reception (I think her name was Megan) was wonderful.
Our two favourite things about The Upham, apart from the service? The garden at the back of the property is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening or take breakfast on a fine Central Coast morning. And the location is, for my money, the best in town - State Street is a five minute walk away, and you're at the classiest end of town with all the best restaurants within an easy stroll: Downey's, Aldo's, Bouchon, Olio e Limone. My wife and I walked right down to the beach area then back up State Street to shop at Saks and Macy's before heading out to Coffee Cat for a refresher, then up the courthouse tower before coming back to The Upham, where we were welcomed "home" with cheese and crackers and wine (all free for guests).
The only downside is that it's increasingly expensive to stay here, but you have to balance that against the fact that pretty much all hotels in this beautiful town are expensive. It's the price you pay for being in one of the most beautiful places in the world, I guess.
Thanks to everyone at The Upham for another terrific visit!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Hotwire so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara