“Absolutely a Class Act!”

The Upham Hotel & Country House
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Can't find anything really negative to say about this beautiful place. Were traveling with another couple. We had adjoining rooms in a separate cottage. Each of our rooms were really clean and appealing, though rather small. However, we were in the less expensive rooms, which we thought overall were a real bargain in an expensive area like Santa Barbara. The bed was very comfortable, and we were actually in the room pretty much only to sleep and bathe. The breakfasts were very nice and a lovely place to eat. The second nite we were there, they had a large group of guests, and guess everybody wanted to eat at same time. Actually, this is the only complaint about the whole place. It was very chilly in the morning, and we finally got our jackets and ate outside so we could have a place to sit. Beautiful places to be outside and relax if weather appropriate, which it usually is there. Afternoons they also have wine and cheese for their guests.
Overall everyone there was helpful, it was an easy place to find, and we would definitely stay there again, and recommend it to any friends going in that direction.

Room Tip: Since our rooms were the smaller, there is no room to work on computer, or even sit comfortably. So...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AnneC31

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Nice and charming B&B two blocks from the State street. Our room looked like it was recently remodelled or at least had a fresh coat of paint. There is free parking on site though it overflowed on Saturday night and so we had to park on adjacent lot (in the rain unfortunately). In general this is a great hotel for people who want to take it easy, relax, read a book on a porch. It might be a bit too expensive to call it a great value though.

1  Thank shaulke
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had stayed at this charming hotel previously and was happy to return. This time I was booked at the Country House which is located just across the street from the Upham. Our room was small but very comfortable. A lovely and delicious breakfast is offered daily as well as afternoon wine and cheese and evening cookies! YUM! We loved coming back after a day of sightseeing to this welcoming home to just sit and relax with a nice glass of wine. Alex and Maureen were a delight and really made our stay so wonderful.
This hotel is also perfectly situated. Just a couple blocks from State Street but far enough away to enjoy some peace and quiet. We never got in our car the whole weekend. Just walked everywhere.
I look forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TLFLosAngeles
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My daughter and I spent a Mother/Daughter weekend here and it was lovely.
We stayed in the Hibiscus cottage on the second floor and the room was a good size. We had two queen-sized beds which were quite comfortable, a Queen Anne chair, a large desk and an additional chair and table. Lots of shutter covered windows that we could open and let in the spring air. The bath was big enough to hold a small two tiered table for toiletries. We even had a walk in closet which again had a window.
The complementary wine in the afternoon was nice, but the cheese is a spread which was ok.
The wine and cheese were available for about 90 minutes and ideally was self serve.
The breakfast included oatmeal, fresh fruit, hardboiled eggs, bagels, toast, muffins, and yogurt along with juice and coffee.
We especially liked the location; just a short two block walk to State Street where all of the shops, restaurants, and trollies are located. I would suggest taking the trolley to the waterfront, although one morning my daughter did run there on her morning jog.
The grounds of the hotel are lovely. One can sit in the garden or in the gazebo which is quiet and buffered from any traffic noise.
As in most cases, staying on the weekend was more expensive than during the week but we didn't have a choice. Also, parking was very close to our cottage which was an added bonus.
Yes, I would stay at the UPHAM again.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor room for better ambiance.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anglophile20
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was delighted by the Upham Hotel. It was easy to get to from the freeway, with free parking onsite. It was all level access for getting my luggage to and from my room to my car, which is always a consideration, especially travelling alone. The room, #40 in Iris cottage, had a gated access with its own patio complete with chairs and a table. It was like my own private domain. The room was tasteful and comfortable, with artistic touches like hand-painted ceramic plates on the walls and bright California paintings. The cottage has a vintage feel, but all the amenities. The bathroom was more than ample, with a large marble vanity and a small glass table beside the tub for toiletries, or even to put my bathtub reading on a handy shelf.

I love the sociable atmosphere once inside the property. Besides the main building with its lobby and sunroom, there are several cottages arranged around gardens, with lawn chairs, a gazebo, and other outdoor features. It feels like an old-fashioned resort. In the afternoon, people sat out on the lawn or on their porches, chatting or reading, others were in the lobby getting the free wine and cheese. The feeling is so relaxing, I hardly wanted to leave the hotel!

The restaurant was wonderful. I had dinner there both nights of my stay and the food and service were superb.

A light breakfast is served in the lobby daily. For me, it was only adequate because I have dietary restrictions. Giving them advance warning would have been wise, but I still managed just fine. The selection for most people's needs is ample, ranging from hot oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs to toast, pastries and fruit, several different juices, coffee, decaf and an assortment of teas.

And all of this nearly pastoral comfort is only two blocks from State Street. I happily managed to max out my credit cards within walking distance of the hotel. The shuttle that runs down State Street can expand your range for day trips without moving your car.

This was one of the finest hotel stays I've had in my life, and I hope to return to the Upham again for a longer stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Overall the properties (main and country house) are pleasant and picturesque, as you would expect in the spring while in Santa Barbara. This is an historic hotel, as I understand it, the oldest continuously operating hotel in California. The main building is the oldest property (I think originally constructed in 1871), and you do see the impact of limited space and a lot of redesign work to fit modern conveniences into this rustic setting. Both the main building and the country house are of this era. Other surrounding buildings on the property used for rooms etc. are more modern.
We stayed at the country house property, in the Darcy room. This room is on the second floor and faces the mountains. It has a private balcony overlooking the front entrance of the house and a very nice view of the front garden. Other rooms in this house have various views of gardens (which were all well maintained) from either porch or balcony. Our balcony was pleasant, but did feel a little shakey at times with two full sized adults. Also, access to this balcony is via the bathroom so coordination may be required. Not so much more than using the whirlpool bath-tub/shower which looks directly out/in the open door to the balcony. The tub was very well used/beat. So much so, that we opted to forego it's use as a whirlpool. Too bad, as it was the deciding factor in choosing this property/room. I think if I were to stay here again, I would go with the penthouse. It has a much better view (western/sunset) and the bathroom is much nicer.
The included breakfast at the country house was nice. The young lady preparing baked goods an/or scrambled eggs did a nice job of adapting to our requests. Also, the aroma of baked breads with cinnamon wafting up through the stairways and into the rooms is a compelling call to rise.
Location is good if you are planning to shop-to-you-drop on State St. 2 blocks slightly uphill to State St. and then 10+ blocks of stores/shops/restaurants all the way downhill to the shoreline.

Overall the room itslef was acceptable, but really needs a deep cleaning. Closet doors and bathroom doors all showed excessive wear and dirt. As mentined, the tub was pretty beat too with cracks etc. showing around the drain. Dust under the end tables and bed accumulates pretty quickly when you leave windows open to capature the prevailing pleasant breezes. And with this corner of the building you have a very nice cross breeze from front to side windows.

Parking at the country house is in a small private drive area. It is pretty tight. If you have a larger vehicle spaces are limited.
We did not use the restaurant in the main buidling.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hubby & I came here for a long overdue "just us" getaway. This was my first time visiting Santa Barbara so naturally, I was very excited. I found this place thanks to Trip Advisor's rating system. I believe Upham is #3, which makes me want to stay at 1 & 2 even more! Anyhow, we booked the midweek special and received a $30 dining credit at Opal Restaurant and a $50 credit at their on-site restaurant, Louie's Bistro. We fell in love the minute we arrived in the parking lot. The grounds are well kept, the property is small but spacious enough that you don't feel crowded in by your neighbors. We stayed in a fireplace king cottage, Iris room 37. It was beautiful - right next to the waterfall area. The room was very clean. The bathroom, while small, which spacious enough for us. I know some complain about the size, but really, it's big enough. How big do you want for a bathroom on vacation? Anyhow, the bed was super comfy, with LOTS of pillows, both firm & soft. We loved the terry cloth robes and used them as often as we could. The fireplace was clean and very easy to use. They even provided us with matches! Check in was a breeze - super easy. They gave us quarters to use the shuttle to State Street - that blew me away. The location is far enough away from State Street so that you can have peace & quiet. It's close enough to walk or take a shutle

Let's see, daily continental breakfast, wine, cheese & crackers in the afternoon (all deeelish), and milk & cookies in the evening (Oreos - and c'mon, who doesn't love Oreos dipped in milk?!?!). The service from the staff was top notch from check in to check out. They were accommodating in every single way possible. The hubby, who isn't a chatty guy, was even chatting it up with the owner. He was very impressed, and that is not an easy feat. Way to go Upham! We will be back, for sure!