I suppose my review might be a bit biased because our room didn't cost us anything. We won a room from a Christmas party and decided to use it as we were going whale watching the next day and thought it would work out perfect. With that aside, the property was beautiful!
Amazingly parking wasn't too bad, even for being so close to downtown. We found a spot right on the property. We were staying on a Thursday night, so it might be worse during the weekend. We arrived around 8:30 p.m. and there were still one or two more spots left. From parking the car to the registration desk the walk was amazing! Very beautiful property and well kept.
We were given a room in the Rose Cottage, and it was everything you would need. Bed, TV, Couch, Desk, Bathroom, and even a wood burning fireplace. It is an older building so the heating consists of a small wall unit between the bed and bathroom. Also not everything is in excellent condition, but I would assume this from something over 100 year old. My only real disappointment was there was no blow dryer for my hair in the morning. I used the wall heater and stood next to it while reading a magazine for 10 minutes instead.They do provide all normal toiletry items though, shampoo, soap, lotion, body wash, Qtips, etc...
In the morning there is a continental breakfast. Typical juice and coffee with bagels, muffins, toast, fruit and cereal. My husband is type 1 diabetic, so sadly there wasn't one thing he could have (but we don't expect that from any hotel). There isn't a pool or spa, but the garden makes up for it. We easily walked to the wharf, but I could see it being too tiring for some people as it was probably a little over 2 miles.
There is also a restaurant connected to the main building, but we didn't eat there.
I don't know what the normal rate is for the room, but it is definitely worth it if you are visiting Santa Barbara for a few days and want to be close to downtown, and have a nice garden to look at while relaxing. There are definitely cheaper hotels in more "boring" parts of town, but if you are looking for a quite get away with a relaxing vibe to it, this is the place to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara