We have stayed at this property on numerous occasions and find it consistent and enjoyable. The grounds and buildings are spotless and very nicely decorated. The buildings have retained their charm from decades past yet seem solid and well maintained. The colors and decorating are sophisticated and highlight the original architectural design. The rooms are spread out between several buildings with walkways/paths between them. Be sure and take advantage of the wonderful Louie's Restaurant off the lobby in the main building. Regardless of where you eat sit in front of the gas fire at the end of the day and have an Oreo cookie and glass of milk -- charming! Walk to the Arlington Theatre just a block away for a live performance or to the nightclub SoHo for live music with or without dinner, your choice. Walk to Santa Barbara Museum of Art (lovely museum and gift shop and small but yummy luncheon restaurant) or Paseo Nuevo (Nordstroms and Macys are the flagships there) high end shopping mall six or so blocks away. If you are wanting a bit more of a walk you can continue on down to the beach and pier! Traditional cabs or pedi (bicycle) cabs available also. And get ready, so many restaurants to choose from! One of our favorites (besides Louis's) is Opal, just below the Arlington Theatre. Other favorites include Blue Agave (try their Mezcal [high end agave beverage] with their authentic Oaxacan chicken mole "To Die For!". Or if you are in the mood for Cajun right next door to Blue Agave is the very popular and fun Palace Cafe -- super friendly service and great food! When you are done come back to enjoy a comfortable and quiet sleep, My husband and I have only stayed in the various building on the main property which we highly recommend, so I cannot comment on the Country House Inn that other reviewers mention. I predict you will want to come back here again! If the property had a hot tub (which it seems to me they could most easily place in the garden) I would have rated it Excellent. But don't let that stop you, we know you will enjoy your stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara